Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2007, 19:48   #16

Propagate? I'm not even married.
Old 27-01-2007, 04:56   #17
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by coot
A Chinese first strike against the GPS constellation can only represent the start of a full-scale war between the US and China. The US will retaliate against Chinese strategic forces to prevent those forces doing any further damage to the US. (You would expect further attack if another country destroyed one of your important military systems, wouldn't you?) Meanwhile, the Chinese will realize that they have to use their strategic forces while they still can.

Whether GPS works or not would be very low on your list of problems.
Unless of course, you live on a boat, like I do. Then GPS outages would be something to think about.

Anyway, my intent wasn't to say China was threatening the United States. My intent was to say that solar storms are a less likely cause of GPS outages than war. My post may have not made that clear. Sorry.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2007, 06:21   #18

Then of course there is the possibility of the magnetic poles flipping, or disappearing altogether. Now there might be a little problem.

Sun's rays to roast Earth as poles flip | International | The Observer
Greg S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2007, 08:57   #19
cruiser

True, Greg. The we might be in for some trouble. Break out those sextants!
Old 27-01-2007, 11:43   #20
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Greg S - Thanks for contributing the article you cite in your post. As I read it, being anywhere on the surface of the planet (following a pole reversal) may place a person in such a hostille environment, that knowing where exactly you are may well be the last thing you ever know.

Thanks again for a provocative read.

taojones
TaoJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2007, 12:56   #21

Boat: Fantasia 35
PBS had a program on pole reversal some months ago. After a long and scary presentation they summed up the effects as being a 2% increase in skin cancer and a really great light show everynight.

paul
Viking Sailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2007, 13:04   #22

and global warming is caused by SUV's too.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2007, 13:06   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
NASA - Earth's Inconstant Magnetic Field

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2007, 16:50   #24

I think I prefer NASA's view. Reassuring that the magnetic field is presently twice as strong as the average too, so while it might flip one day, it's not likely to be soon.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2007, 17:11   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivan
Unless of course, you live on a boat, like I do. Then GPS outages would be something to think about.
I was thinking that important problems would include things like starvation, contaminated drinking water, radioactive fallout, etc. You can navigate without GPS, but you can't navigate without staying alive.

Quote:
Anyway, my intent wasn't to say China was threatening the United States. My intent was to say that solar storms are a less likely cause of GPS outages than war.
Yes, the guys who built the satellites knew about solar storms. I think the small number of spare satellites tells us something about the level of risk. Unlike in war, a natural disaster doesn't actively choose targets.
Old 27-01-2007, 18:25   #26
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by coot
I was thinking that important problems would include things like starvation, contaminated drinking water, radioactive fallout, etc. You can navigate without GPS, but you can't navigate without staying alive.
You forget... you're quoting to a guy who forages, hunts, has a woodstove, a filtratation system and even his own meat grinder aboard a boat capable of crossing oceans. I also have the means to protect that boat. I think I'll do fine.
Old 27-01-2007, 18:39   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivan
Y and even his own meat grinder
No doubt made of quality American steel, and preserved with vegetable oil.

(just had to rib ya since the door was open )
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2007, 19:07   #28

Quote:
Yes, the guys who built the satellites knew about solar storms. I think the small number of spare satellites tells us something about the level of risk. Unlike in war, a natural disaster doesn't actively choose targets.
I don’t think the solar storms are choosing targets, all satellites would be affected. BTW, as far as spares go, aren’t the guys who decide how many spare satellites we have the same guys who decide how many spare troops we have on hand for Iraq?
Greg S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2007, 22:32   #29

Boat: Lotus 10.6
Quote:
You forget... you're quoting to a guy who forages, hunts, has a woodstove, a filtratation system and even his own meat grinder aboard a boat capable of crossing oceans. I also have the means to protect that boat. I think I'll do fine. __________________
but in the other post you are thinking of selling it???
seafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2007, 22:47   #30

Boat: Lotus 10.6
Quote:
PBS had a program on pole reversal some months ago. After a long and scary presentation they summed up the effects as being a 2% increase in skin cancer and a really great light show everynight.
We have no Ozone down here so it wouldn't even effect us. We have to wear a tilley hat just to hang out the washing. Even our cats and dogs wear sunscreen.
seafox is offline   Reply With Quote