Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2017, 18:12   #16

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Suggested Waypoints for WA to SF to LA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDR_Sailing View Post
Cool thanks, is there a guest dock in Neah Bay or are you typically anchoring out in the bay somewhere?
You can anchor out or get a temp. slip at the marina.
Old 07-06-2017, 08:04   #17

Boat: Currently boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDR_Sailing View Post
How far did you stay offshore on your voyage(s)?
You can zoom in on the map at the top of this post and see our routing:

The Plan - Team Giddyup

We left Tofino and headed due South. This has the advantage of avoiding going into weather out of the Strait. But it meant clearing into the US in SF which was a minor pain in the arse.

Our routing from there had to do with the weather, not any specific mileage offshore. There was some movement in the Pacific high and we wanted to stay in the 20s (knots) for wind, no more than low 30s, and so we made routing changes based on where that zone would be. We lost wind the last night approaching SF and motored until morning when the winds picked up and we sailed under the bridge.

Our video of the passage (made back when none of us cruisers were professional videographers, unlike today's vloggers!): https://youtu.be/rAJ_CFPc_uE
Livia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 08:54   #18

There is another book by the Douglasses (Doug & Renee Douglass’ “Exploring the Pacific Coast”), IIRC, that has all the info you need. They show and document the three routes.

You really oughta go look at a marine store library.

I used that book and Charlie's Charts coming up from SF to Vancouver Island last summer.

I've posted our log here:

Travels with Aquavite: San Francsico Bay to British Columbia 2016
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 08:58   #19

Boat: Rawson 30PH

If you have the time and want to explore, you might try the costal route. See - "Cruising the Northwest Coast" by George Benson. Gunkhole and anchor every night😀
Captain Puget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 08:59   #20

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25

I did that run in mid October, a bit late in the year. I went due west for 100 miles from Neah Bay and turned south. Other than catching some weather at the start it was an interesting and easy ride with a nice following breeze off the starboard quarter and large following seas that occasionally pushed us at over 13 kts. We came inside after passing San Francisco and stayed 25 miles offshore after that. Our only stop was Avila Beach before our destination at Ventura, Cal.
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 09:32   #21

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

Very simple, when you exit the straights, lay a rhumb line to San Francisco, your largest distance offshore will be about 50 mile's as i recall, it's only a two day voyage that time of year and down hill all the way, from S.F. once out the gate, it's a rhumb line down to southern California, just watch out for the Oil production platform's off the coast, starting around Santa Barbara, off Big sur, you will probably see some awsome sea life, think Great whites and Orcas.
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 10:39   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Of course, you will remember the hazard of using commonly shared or published waypoints, which is that you greatly increase the risk of inadvertently sharing a small space with another boat, and that's not just in theory! For that reason, I always determine my own, often by doing something no more difficult than putting the Plotter cursor on my target.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 11:13   #23

Boat: Freedom 45

I like ft bragg
seaman-lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 13:42   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougtiff View Post
Very simple, when you exit the straights, lay a rhumb line to San Francisco, your largest distance offshore will be about 50 mile's as i recall, it's only a two day voyage that time of year and down hill all the way, from S.F. once out the gate, it's a rhumb line down to southern California, just watch out for the Oil production platform's off the coast, starting around Santa Barbara, off Big sur, you will probably see some awsome sea life, think Great whites and Orcas.
2 days to make 700 miles?????? The rhumb line takes you inland???? You might want to recheck the charts on this one.
Old 07-06-2017, 14:20   #25

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Actually, to get the "stand off", I would move my waypoint from the logical place to about 2 or 3 miles off the commonly chosen ones. The reason is that navigators think pretty much alike, and we have had people following the dotted lines right along our route. If the weather is fine, you will pick them up easily enough as long as they are lit. To me, you don't really need way points in the open ocean. Just one to point at. What you have is a course to where you're going, and just keep in mind you want to keep plenty of space off Cape Mendocino, and don't run into the Farallones.

Ann
Old 07-06-2017, 14:26   #26

On my passes of Cape Mendicino southbound the easiest passage was in close and the worst passages were 20 to 60 miles off. YMMV
Old 07-06-2017, 15:09   #27

Boat: FP, Orana 44, Mari's Leonardo
Send a message via Skype™ to marisleonardo

Capt Phil is right on... I've made the trip a few times both ways SF ...stay out just like he recommends. Mendocino can be a real bummer if in too close.
Have fun, going south much better than beating north.
marisleonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 21:03   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Just did the trip from SF to Oceanside. Went fairly far offshore to Monterey where I had to stop for repairs. When leaving the Gate stay close to or in the shipping channel till you're well off shore. Nasty breaking waves within a few miles offshore if you turn to quickly. Nearly got rolled by one and had another break over the quarter sending solid water down the companionway. Stayed inshore from Monterey to Point Conception. Saw only a couple of boats Point conception is usually best to give a wide berth, 10 miles or so, but was flat as a mill pond this trip. There is usually a lot of traffic in the shipping lanes out of LA so keep an especially good look out till you are South of LA Harbour. Was nearly run down by ship who obviously didn't see us. Inexperienced crew misjudged speed and course of the ship at night. You can surf off the bow wave of a container ship.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 16:05   #29

Boat: Casacde 36

I made a point of staying well of the Mendecino Ridge. Head just a little west of south, that'll get you close to 60 to 100 miles off, and you should be just fine. Might be a paucity of wind, at that time.
Enjoy the trip.
01kiwijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 17:55   #30

Boat: 1977 Downeaster 45

Thanks for all the advice folks! Seems like everyone has had a different experience on the trip south, but mainly positive voyages.

My new rough plan is Blaine to Port Angeles on Day 1, Port Angeles to Neah Bay on Day 2, then head out 40-50nm west before making the big turn left, head south until well past Cape Mendocino where we can start heading in towards SF. Stop there for a couple nights before heading back out and down to LA in one trip.

Looking forward to perusing the reading material suggested here and will be sure to check back in after the trip. If anyone else has advice or stories good and bad, please keep sharing. I am getting excited for the voyage.
MDR_Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote