Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 16-10-2014, 15:50   #16

Re: Stuck in CT! What would you do?

Westerlies suck.... north and south works... NW works too... Don't fight the tides. You should wait for fair wind...

Old 16-10-2014, 17:32   #17

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps

Important to do 1st 20 miles or so of LIS with current after that approx .5 knot +- in sound until you get to East River.
If waiting to enter East River in western LIS can pick up my mooring at Steppingstone
Marina just west of Manhasset bay (# 188 with launch service ch 71) I just moved
to a slip for the fall.
or go into Manhasset bay, good anchoring or p.u. free yellow moorings, well maintained.
Manhasset bay is easy in/out in all weather.
All above is half to 1 hour sail from Throgs Neck Bridge and East River.
City Island not that protected.
East River/Hell gate not good with strong opposing wind to current.

hugosalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2014, 18:16   #18

I'm a LIS sailor and unless you enjoy punishment and pounding into headwinds in adverse currents you should stay put until the wind abates or goes to the NW. A schedule is the most dangerous thing on a boat.

Enjoying the journey means making the most of it each day where you are.
Old 16-10-2014, 18:43   #19

Boat: Island Packet 420

If you are going inside once south of NJ, I would focus on the 4:00-6:00 a.m. slack to flood at the entrance to Delaware Bay towards the end other month. Take your time for now. If you are going outside to the mouth of the Chesapeake get yourself to Montaulk or Sandy Hook so you are in a position to catch a weather window without wasting good weather getting in place. Weather windows do not last long this time of year.
Old 16-10-2014, 18:50   #20

Just to add to my prior post, if you wait till the wind goes NW you can make the East River in one long day, then stage for the run down the river though NY harbor at the start of the ebb current the next day, also on a NW wind. Perfect sailing no bashing.
Old 16-10-2014, 19:06   #21

Whatever you choose in LI Sound, take your time on the two next legs - for different reasons:

The trip down the East River and out into New York Harbor will be one of the highlights of the trip. Pick weather to enjoy it. Have the cameras out.

Conversely, between NY and Cape May you have perhaps the most challenging part of the whole trip. The NJ coast can be dangerous and goes down hill fast at this time of year. Wait for perfect weather. It's late - you could wait a week (I won't go if there's any chance of wind above 15 knots in the arc from NE to SW). If I get a forecast for a calm -- day or night -- I start the motor and go.

If you get stuck in NY by weather, an expensive but really enjoyable place to wait is Liberty Landing Marina. There's an hourly ferry that in 15 minutes drops you right in the middle of Manhattan.
Old 16-10-2014, 19:11   #22

Boat: Valiant 40

If you're in any actual hurry I would head east, round Montauk, and point for Cape May. You could be there in 50 hours if you're lucky. You'd avoid the Jersey shore which while great if you're a beach goer is kinda the pits for cruisers.

Going down the East River is pretty cool, and Sandy Hook is not so bad, but this time of year I'd want to get to the Chesapeake ASAP and use up my loitering time going down it. You've already passed the best that Long Island Sound has to offer, IMHO.
Old 16-10-2014, 19:48   #23

Boat: Sail and power

If are small enough to get into North Cove then sitting tight and project work makes sense. Check out the foliage while you wait. If you want to make a bit west, consider hugging the shore to Duck Island, anchor and go to Bills Seafood or Bliss Gourmet. If your boat is around 35ft you can tie up at the Westbrook Town Dock.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 17-10-2014, 05:52   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Looking for a new boat

Hugosalt that is beyond generous. Thanks for the offer. We might take you up on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 17-10-2014, 11:37   #25

Boat: 35' Pearson sloop

I'm from Ct. Take my word, at this time of year it will probably only get worse if you wait. NYC is a fairly short run about 90 miles from where you are. The sea state forecast is usually close to correct, (boaters tend to make waves higher than they are). I don't know what kind of vessel your in but in any decent sailboat could handle much worse and even a mediocre power boat should do OK. I would leave and plan on running non-stop until I arrived.
Old 17-10-2014, 11:50   #26

Boat: 1972 Contest 33

If I were in your position I would tie up the boat and head to my Aunt and Uncles in Manchester for a visit. Looks like I would have a week to make them sick of me.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:58   #27

Boat: 33 Glander Sloop
Send a message via Skype™ to sonAdmiralson

be sure to pick which side of the sound to follow, the seas will be favorable on one side or the other

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: