Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2014, 10:44   #1

Standard Horizon VHF/GPS...too many models?

Hello all,

Second post here and so far so good...

I just purchased a Tanzer 22 in great shape and since I can't sail it until May, I am just making a wishlist. Which brings me to the VHF/GPS dilema....

The boat didn't come with radio nor GPS and I was wondering about these SH models:

GX1700
GX2200
GX2000
GX2150

I am not very familiar with these systems and can't really tell the differences by looking at the specs. What I am looking for is a VHF with built in GPS that will act as my main GPS. I am taking courses and studying to learn how to properly navigate with paper charts and a few plotting tools. I really enjoy the art of piloting by just the charts but also understand the advantages of a GPS as a tool. I want to keep things simple and don't need all the bells and whistles related with these systems. That is why these VHFs with incorporated GPS appealed to me, everything in one device without the need to incorporate external devices that usually make things more glitchy.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Juan.
pampasail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 12:09   #2

Boat: Catalina 30
Standard Horizon VHF/GPS...too many models?

I think they are just display the coordinates on the front and use them for DCS and output a nema stream. Handy to have and worth the money.

I have a lower end DCS radio but it needs gps from my chart plotter or AIS transceiver.

As for using it for navigation, it can be done and is a nice back up. Personally I like a chart plotter and a gps enabled tablet and keep paper for planning and bridge info etc.

Gary
Old 18-11-2014, 19:26   #3

Boat: Lindsey Center Cockpit 39' Ketch
Re: Standard Horizon VHF/GPS...too many models?

If your budget permits, the GX2200 is your complete package with VHF, GPS and AIS. A good color chart plotter will enhance this unit with the interface of all the 2200's features. The AIS information is 100 % better on a chartplotter display.

I have really enjoyed having the AIS display on my Garmin 741 chartplotter.

Life is good if you Keepa Smilin........

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

S/V Water Wings
fjwiley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2014, 19:47   #4

Boat: Currently boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by pampasail View Post
The boat didn't come with radio nor GPS and I was wondering about these SH models:

GX1700
GX2200
GX2000
GX2150

I am not very familiar with these systems and can't really tell the differences by looking at the specs. What I am looking for is a VHF with built in GPS that will act as my main GPS.
GX1700 includes an integrated GPS receiver.
GX2200 includes integrated AIS and GPS receivers.
GX2000 and GX2150 require input from an external GPS receiver.
Old 18-11-2014, 19:58   #5

Boat: Tartan 30 & Columbia 26

GX 2200 is only $350 from Amazon, and has fully integrated GPS and AIS. For simple installation and full functionality, that's the one you want to go with. You don't mention AIS in your original post, if you're unfamiliar then read about it. Real slick system, especially if there's a lot of commercial boat traffic to look out for in your area.
wristwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2014, 01:02   #6

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by wristwister View Post
GX 2200 is only $350 from Amazon, and has fully integrated GPS and AIS. For simple installation and full functionality, that's the one you want to go with. You don't mention AIS in your original post, if you're unfamiliar then read about it. Real slick system, especially if there's a lot of commercial boat traffic to look out for in your area.
I'd recommend this one too. I'm in Australia and had mine for about a year. I think it's the best available at this time.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2014, 03:21   #7

Hi Rustic, where did you see this on amazon? I might sound silly but my search only pulled up books
Warby12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2014, 03:27   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warby12 View Post
Hi Rustic, where did you see this on amazon? I might sound silly but my search only pulled up books
That wasn't me with the Amazon quote. I purchased mine from Queensland I think. I'll find the link for you.
Old 24-11-2014, 03:30   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
That wasn't me with the Amazon quote. I purchased mine from Queensland I think. I'll find the link for you.
Standard Horizon Matrix GX 2200 AIS/GPS Fixed Mount VHF 25W - VHF Radios Fixed Mount - VHF Radios - Marine Electronics
Old 24-11-2014, 04:51   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

I have the SH vhf/AIS. FWIW - if I had to do over, I would have spent a few more dollars and gotten the transponder.

My plans are to buy the transponder after Christmas. It will make the receiver redundant.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2014, 05:02   #11

Boat: Rafiki 37

We installed the GX2200 last season. I've very pleased. The AIS receiver works great for us, and the combo VHF/GPS is perfect for DSC usage. Make sure you get your MMSI.

BTW, it's nice to have the additional GPS receiver as part of the radio, but I wouldn't consider it a primary GPS. It's easier, cheaper and more effective to use a simple hand held like a Garmin 76.
Old 24-11-2014, 06:21   #12

Boat: a sailing boat

I would buy their newest without any hesitation.

We have an GX 2100 as the fixed unit and a handheld SH too. I love both: well built, work as advertised.

The handheld has sailed thousands of sea miles with us and the fixed unit sailed an Atlantic circuit last winter as a shake down.

SH gets five stars out of five in my book.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2014, 06:47   #13

Boat: Lindsey Center Cockpit 39' Ketch

As to the MMSI number for the DSC functionality ,take the time n spend the money to get your number through the FCC as it will be recognized outside coastal US waters. If you don't plan on doing that, get a Free number assigned by West Marine.

Some countries require you to have a "Radio License", by obtaining your MMSI number through the FCC , you also get the "Radio License", Call Sign and MMSI number for $160.00. It is good for 10 years.

Life is good if you Keepa Smilin.....

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

S/V Water Wings
fjwiley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2014, 12:00   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Sorry Rustic, I was sleepy and not thinking straight. I'm in qld to though so thanks for the link

These radios look great and ours has recently expired. I realize now amazon.com.au only sells books, silly me.

The scary part is how cheap they are on amazon compared to retail in australia. Bassi ally half the price.

Is there some reason I can't buy it from amazon anyone will it still work in australia?
Warby12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2014, 12:30   #15

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by pampasail View Post
.................. What I am looking for is a VHF with built in GPS that will act as my main GPS.
While all of these are fine products, even the one with a built in GPS won't show you where you are an a chart overlay. You need a chart plotter for this.

Before you start buying things I suggest some research and a trip to the nearest West Marine or serious marine retailer. Somewhere where you can see what it is you are buying and what it does.

Tags
gps, model, vhf