Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2014, 23:07   #1

St. Augustine to West End

Hi All,

I've been a member for quite some time, but mostly read all of the forums. I have a question for the masses. I'm taking my 36ft Nonsuch from St. Augustine to the Bahamas for about 5 weeks. Does anyone have any suggestions on routes, places to see, good anchorages and the like. Any questions, concerns or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Mike
DutchAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 04:14   #2
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Re: St. Augustine to West End

What was your thought for a route?

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 04:37   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

I was looking to go from St Augustine down towards Cape Canaveral and then across to the Abacos myself in late December. All depends on the weather of course. when are you leaving?
Old 29-09-2014, 07:30   #4

Location: On board Sarah, currently lying in Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Pearson, 424, 42', Sarah

I suggest going further south down the FL coast than Canaveral before heading east to the Abacos. From Canaveral to the Manatanilla Shoal it is about 110nm on a SE course, most of it in the teeth of the GS. Better to get far enough south that you are crossing nearly perpendicular to the GS.

My recommendation would be to head to the St. Lucie Inlet then cross to the Mantanilla Shoal or White Sand Ridge. I went out the Inlet last Februrary shortly after it was dredged. Good depth (>15ft) and well marked.

John
jstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 08:13   #5

Boat: csy 37

My regular route going over, and I'm in daytona beach just 50 miles south of you, is west palm beach to memory rock to green turtle. And I still have to motorsail into the chop while crossing. Coming back is easy. Just get in the gulf stream and drift back to st augustine.

Our favorite place for the time length you're considering is the Abacos. If you've got 3 months or so, go to the Exumas. Whatever you do, get the relevant Explorer Charts for where you're going. They are indispensable. And if you're going to the Abacos, get Steve Dodges Abaco Cruising Guide as well. If you get them now you can do a lot of preplanning....and set up your GPS waypoints.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 12:49   #6
Marine Service Provider

Was planning to skip across the stream just before a norther when we tend to have 12-18 hours of SW wind. Once across, take a Southerly heading as the wind swing W thru NE. Would imagine won't be very rough once across the stream and will be on the bank prior to any real nasty NE swell?

All depends on the weather of course, I have a great sailing boat but a not great intercostal motoring boat.
Old 29-09-2014, 13:19   #7

Location: On board Sarah, currently lying in Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Pearson, 424, 42', Sarah

BoatGuy30,
Sailing east of the GS is certainly an option. Have you gone this route before?
Once you are well east of the GS you have the option of avoiding the Little Bahama Bank entirely and entering the Abacos at the Loggerhead Channel or the the North Man -O-War Cay channel.
I've only sailed this route on the return from the Abacos going to JAX, so I was trying to stay in the GS. On that trip I encountered GS eddies east and north of the Little Bahama Bank. If you go that route I recommend having a recent GS analysis to help plan your route.

John
jstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2014, 05:13   #8
Marine Service Provider

I have not gone that route. I have only crossed from the keys, Miami or ft lauderdale. My son is in school till Christmas break so if it's real cold by then this year, well be in a hurry to get over and maybe try the outlined route.

Also a possibility I'll be working in Key West in Janurary so that of course changes things entirely. Never done any of the trip south of here going S. Only been offshore going north from S Florida toward Charleston before. Pretty sure I don't want to take the ICW all the way. well see how the weather is.
Old 30-09-2014, 07:44   #9

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

In December you may find yourself waiting for days or even weeks for a crossing window. If you are planning the trip around your sons vacation I would suggest you make other plans. Winter Gulf Stream crossings and schedules are not compatable.
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2014, 10:49   #10

Boat: Hunter 33.5

Before you go be sure to visit the website of the, " Hillsborough Inlet Sailing Club" for necessary forms and information, customs etc.

I would clear in at West End and then head to Green Turtle as my 1st major stop. Then work your way to Mash Harbor and the obligatory stop at Hope Town and Man O War cays.

You can bypass West End and go direct to Green Turtle and clear in there, requires you to dinghy in to New Plymouth and then walk the 2 blocks to the Customs Office. And remember to sample the Fried Conch when in New Plymouth.

Fair Winds...............
tdh1849 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2014, 15:14   #11
Marine Service Provider

He's taking the spring term off so no set time frame.
Good info on green turtle. I had not cleared there before and was looking for somewhere I could anchor and check in.
Old 30-09-2014, 15:31   #12

Boat: Hunter 33.5

Green Turtle is nice, get the guide and read up. You can get onto the Banks at West End, I draw 4'6 and have never had a problem. Put in the GPS info for "Great Sail" and " Mangrove", good place to hide behind when the weather goes south.

Coming out there is, " Fox Town, a neat little town with a nice restaurant, you need to anchor and then take the dinghy.

And then there is Great Iguana, aka called Great Guana and the bar and restaurant, Knippers.

Sigh............................

Fair Winds............

PS, once while spending the outbound night at West End the boat next to me "dove on the anchor" and saw 2 Hammerheads swimming by. FYI
tdh1849 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2014, 15:42   #13

Boat: csy 37

If you get on the banks at memory rock its about 50 miles to a good anchorage at great sale cay. Then another long day to green turtle where you can either anchor off the town or go into black sound and anchor or tie up. Then its a short walk to customs. Be sure to show Q flag from the time you pass memory rock till you clear in.

And bring $300 cash to clear, $150 if you are 30' or less.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 07:41   #14

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
If you get on the banks at memory rock its about 50 miles to a good anchorage at great sale cay. Then another long day to green turtle where you can either anchor off the town or go into black sound and anchor or tie up. Then its a short walk to customs. Be sure to show Q flag from the time you pass memory rock till you clear in.

And bring $300 cash to clear, $150 if you are 30' or less.
It's still $150.00 for 34 feet or less. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 09:53   #15
Marine Service Provider

And I registered my boat as 29'10" just for this. Oh, well don't need the customs decal at least.