Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2012, 10:23   #1

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7
SPOT CONNECT SATELLITE FOR ANDROID PHONES

Here is a satellite location utility covering most of the popular sailing areas in the world,unlike AIS which is based on land stations with a limited range. Please read below all the advantages and safety features. Available in USA - UK and France at the moment,more countries later. Ideal combining with SpotWalla for on-line location information for family,friends and boat deliveries.

The SPOT Connect App pairs your Android smartphone with SPOT Connect, a revolutionary satellite communicator engineered to transmit messages via satellite from virtually anywhere in the world, including remote locations.

The award-winning SPOT Connect device provides connectivity to the Globalstar satellite network for sending location-based messages from areas beyond cellular phone coverage or around town. By simply downloading the SPOT Connect App, SPOT Connect wirelessly synchs via Bluetooth® with Android devices. The SPOT satellite message features are initiated directly from the app’s intuitive user interface.

SPOT Connect utilizes proven SPOT technology to notify others of one’s GPS location coordinates and current status. By sending a message to the Globalstar satellite network, the user’s selected contacts will receive a custom Type and Send or Predefined message delivered as an SMS text message or email. SPOT Connect messages contain the user’s latitude and longitude, date, time stamp and a link to Google Maps™. Established SPOT message features include Check-in/OK, Help, SPOT Assist, SOS and automated Track Progress.

SPOT Connect messaging feature overview:

•SOS - Emergency assistance request sent with your GPS location to GEOS every 5 min until batteries die or until cancelled The GEOS International Emergency Response Center alerts the appropriate agencies worldwide – for example contacting 9-1-1 responders in North America and 1-1-2 responders in Europe. Custom Type & Send messages can be sent with SOS for detailed emergency information.

•Help/SPOT Assist - Request help from friends and family or professional service providers every 5 min for 1 hour. Custom Type & Send messages can be sent with a Help/Assist message for more detailed personal help.

•Check-in/OK: Send a Predefined Message or custom Type & Send message allowing your friends and family to get a message from you with your GPS location virtually anywhere on the globe. With a push of a button a message is sent via email or SMS to one of up to 10 contact groups. You can also send your Check-in/OK messages to social sites like Facebook or Twitter.

•Track Progress: This feature allows you to send and save your location and allow contacts to track your progress in near real time using Google Maps. With your SPOT account you have the ability to set up a SPOT Shared Page which allows you to show your SPOT GPS locations to others on a Google Map. (Additional service required).

The SPOT Connect App extends the functionality of Android devices while making available new features for customers. Custom messages can now be composed and sent on-the-go and users can store up to 14 Predefined messages and 10 personal contract groups consisting of up to 50 contacts each. Additionally, the SPOT Connect App turns your device into a satellite messenger utilizing SPOT Connect’s onboard GPS and satellite transmitter. Users can even send location-based messages to Facebook, Twitter, and SPOT Adventures from isolated regions such as mountainous terrain and areas off-shore.

Additional Benefits and features
· Uses the GPS satellite system to determine location and the Globalstar satellite network to transmit that information to personal contacts or an international emergency response center
· Send location-based messages via satellite to others delivered as SMS text or email
· Send custom “Type and Send” 41 character text messages from your location
· Update social networks including Facebook, Twitter and SPOT Adventures from remote locations
· Provide GPS functionality to non-GPS devices
· Store up to 10 predefined messages for quick reference and sending
· Store 10 contact groups on device – each group can consist of up to 50 contacts
· On device SOS button for standalone emergency operation
· Bluetooth wireless connection
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenHunter_63 Jun. 18 10.27.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	42452  
Old 18-06-2012, 13:48   #2

Re: SPOT CONNECT SATELLITE FOR ANDROID PHONES

I forgot to mention that the SPOT Connect is only compatible with the iphone and ipad at the moment but I am sure it will soon also be available for general Android based smartphones. The message upload signal to satellites needs approval in each country so it will take some time.

Tore
Old 05-08-2012, 22:06   #3

i have read up on this and looks a great, cost effective communication system. However seems to have limited coverage /footprint for global star.

Coverage Map - Voice
xanadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:35   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, xanadu.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:46   #5

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad7 View Post
Here is a satellite location utility covering most of the popular sailing areas in the world,unlike AIS which is based on land stations with a limited range....

.....a revolutionary satellite communicator engineered to transmit messages via satellite from virtually anywhere in the world, including remote locations....

The award-winning SPOT Connect device provides connectivity to the Globalstar satellite network for sending location-based messages from areas beyond cellular phone coverage or around town. ...
By sending a message to the Globalstar satellite network....

SPOT by the way is not in fact truly satellite based, it is "land based" and has "limited coverage" and does not work "anywhere in the world" and won't work at all if you are not in range of a GlobalStar "land terminal".

The reason for this is limitations in the architecture of the GlobalStar network. The GlobalStar network architecture uses "land terminals" interconnected by satellite links. Therefore if you are not in range of a land terminal you cannot send messages via the GlobalStar network.

SPOT, being a GlobalStar subsidiary, of course knows this, but they still use misleading advertising to infer that the system is "satellite based" -- it is not. The seed never falls far from the tree....GlobalStar has a history of lying about their coverage area and quality-of-service. This resulted in a class action lawsuit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasonLLP
GlobalStar Satellite Services

In 2007, Mason LLP filed a lawsuit against Globalstar, Inc. for failing to disclose material facts regarding the declining quality of its satellite telephone service. The case was filed in the United States District Court for the Northern District of California. The Plaintiffs allege that Globalstar knew, as early as 2001, that it was experiencing failures in its satellite constellation and its satellite service was rapidly deteriorating and was no longer useful for its intended purpose, yet failed to disclose this information to its potential and existing customers. After years of vigorous litigation, the parties recently reached a settlement which provides monetary relief to the class, attorneys’ fees, and notice of the settlement to the class.

SPOT is a fine little toy if you have good coverage, but do not trust the coverage map published by SPOT or GlobalStar. It is more like an artists conceptual drawing and is not accurate. Verify from actual users that you have coverage in your areas of intended use.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 01:18   #6

Boat: Punch 1010 36ft

we had a spot on board during a atlantic crossing
people at home watching us.....
spotted us at times in the .. pacific
oops

sending out an SOS
laforge24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:15   #7

For better reliability and wider coverage I can not disagree that Delorme´s inReach using the Iridium satellites is a better choice although the price is higher.

See my inReach thread:
Tore
Old 07-08-2012, 07:38   #8

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad7 View Post
For better reliability and wider coverage I can not disagree that Delorme´s inReach using the Iridium satellites is a better choice although the price is higher.

See my inReach thread:
Tore
Yes, the Iridium based system is a true satellite based system that will in fact work anywhere in the world, but of course this comes at a dramatically higher cost than SPOT.

My compromise is to carry a SPOT and an EPIRB aboard. Using SPOT to send check-in messages when possible and the EPIRB if things go really badly.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:26   #9

Boat: Irwin 40

I used a InReach recently on a trip to Bermuda and back. It was hard to get working with my Andriod and had to be upgraded right out of the box. The upgrade had to be done with a recent version of windows 7 and the latest version of flash player. It also required a good high speed internet connection. Something that was hard to do with my older PC and typical poor marina internet. once working the batteries (expensive lithium) had to be replace every 48 hours. You also had to have the phone close to the unit for it to work which meant taking the phone out into the cockpit. You also had to keep the phone charged even though this was the only use for it once offshore. It sometimes took 4 hours or so for the phone to get the message to the InReach and then sent. The folks back home thought is was great but it was a pain to use on board. I do not think I will be using it in the future but who knows. The monthly subscription is high as well I am thinking it might be better to just rent a sat phone next time. As this is new thought I would give some first hand info
sailvayu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite phone