Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2012, 18:32   #46

Boat: Jeanneau Sunshine 36
Re: South Pacific Island discovered......to not exist!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romain View Post
CM93 is riddled with coding errors and Jepessen is not the charting authority in the area. Jeppesen merely encodes the data belonging to others - at haste and with a lack of professionalism!
Strong words...We must have evidence.. I'd love to see a list...
sailorF54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2012, 18:33   #47

Boat: Mac 26X
You know guys...I've read here for years, just signed up the other day to ask a guy about his planned Gulf Stream crossing...but THIS stuff is why I've stayed away. Guy makes a (funny) joke...Sooooooo what. Lots, and I mean LOTS, of fairly funny, often true, American bashing to. SOOOOOOO WHAT! When I was overseas in the Navy, we all teased each other, and if enough beer was involved, it often ended up in a fight...looser bought the next round. Sheeeesh lighten up
Old 22-11-2012, 18:43   #48
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGatoGordo View Post
You know guys...I've read here for years, just signed up the other day to ask a guy about his planned Gulf Stream crossing...but THIS stuff is why I've stayed away. Guy makes a (funny) joke...Sooooooo what. Lots, and I mean LOTS, of fairly funny, often true, American bashing to. SOOOOOOO WHAT! When I was overseas in the Navy, we all teased each other, and if enough beer was involved, it often ended up in a fight...looser bought the next round. Sheeeesh lighten up
+1
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2012, 19:03   #49
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGatoGordo View Post

So I suppose you will find it hilarious when I start to crack disparaging jokes about how Texans are all yellow and gay, and then offer to buy the next round, then. Where I'm from adults don't behave that way, and just because you behaved that way in the Navy I am not inspired to believe that it's any more appropriate.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2012, 19:05   #50
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorF54 View Post
.... French bashing /thrashing painfully reminds me of the darker and evil side of a fraction of the
denizens of some countries...

Exactly. Some lines should not be crossed in polite company, and disparaging someones nationality is one of them. Next it'll be the color of their skin...
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2012, 19:07   #51

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

I should imagine that quite a few charted islands, particularly in out of the way places, may not be where the charts say they are. Howland Island, in the Phoenix Island group was for a long time some five miles from where the charts said it was, and Pitcairn Island was actually quite a distance from where Admiralty charts recorded it (which was one reason the Bounty mutineers decided to settle there).
Old 22-11-2012, 19:11   #52

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
France has war ships??
Yeah, but they prefer to just send in their spook types and blow up other people's ships while sitting in some New Zealand Harbor.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2012, 19:43   #53

Boat: Mac 26X

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
So I suppose you will find it hilarious when I start to crack disparaging jokes about how Texans are all yellow and gay, and then offer to buy the next round, then.
Well you could be more contextual...something about cows, evrything being bigger....or something redneck related. But sure...if youre buying and you can take some jokes back at yeah...I'm game!

I don't take life too seriously.

Hell, if you want some boat related fodder...ask yourself why Texans have keelboats! TONS of funny stuff there!

As to this island...I'm down with CIA!, JFK, etc. ORRRRRRRRR ALIENS!!!!!!
(insert little green alien icon here)
ElGatoGordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2012, 20:09   #54

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
I should imagine that quite a few charted islands, particularly in out of the way places, may not be where the charts say they are. Howland Island, in the Phoenix Island group was for a long time some five miles from where the charts said it was, and Pitcairn Island was actually quite a distance from where Admiralty charts recorded it (which was one reason the Bounty mutineers decided to settle there).

Most of us know that the charts used to generate the background of our electronic charts were made by British sailors a very long time ago using a sextant. In out of the way places, these are still the most 'recent' charts. It is not uncommon for things to be several miles from where our highly accurate GPS shows them to be.

Even cruising in the Lake Huron North Channel this summer with the latest updated gps chart data we found huge variation in water depth and several islands shown out of true position. Plotter showed us sail right through one island. Fortunately, most incorrect depths were deeper than shown on the plotter. We found many places where the observed depth was 2X the charted number.

There was a pilot project a few years ago where private vessels were equipped to record and transmit data for depth, GPS and time. Collected data was downloaded to be used to update charts. The program was halted because there was concern that the depth datums may not be for the vessel collecting the data. Personally, It would be better to have some data than none or very old data. It could even be noted as "gathered from non-official sources"
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2012, 20:16   #55

By the way, Does anyone know if the 10 fathom shoal that is charted about 100 miles NE of the Marquesas really is there? I remember avoiding the area by many miles because the Sailing Directions said Location not verified, or some such thing. Many things are wrongly charted or maybe dont exist. Just curious.____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2012, 20:21   #56

Boat: Franz Maas 37
Re: Sandy Island... A CIA conspiracy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Who gave it a name? Usually, the first to land on an island, gets to name it. Since it is called Sandy Island - someone should have been there
So, we need to find who this 'Sandy' is, and give him/her a stern talking to!
Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2012, 20:26   #57

Boat: Franz Maas 37
Re: Sandy Island... A CIA conspiracy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo View Post
small islands come and go with some frequency. As for your list of anomalous oddities, this post would get pulled if I took the time to educate youAttachment 50089
That's a strange response or am I missing something here. I was just poking fun, not trying to incur the wrath of conspiracy theorists. If I have offended you I am deeply sorry........
Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2012, 20:56   #58

Boat: Skookum 53'

We skirted that same area in 1977, coming by on our way through, same warnings. I have no idea if it is actual or not.
Old 22-11-2012, 21:35   #59

Boat: 38' Hughes S&S design
I didn't want to go there anyway. My chart shows a Kraken just north of the island. However, the place with the mermaids south looks like an option.
scubascooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2012, 22:09   #60

Boat: Haven't seen it yet. Bought on Ebay
Lived in France many a year, and have dual citizenship so I am a bit of authority when I say their ships do not fire croissants. Imagine more Monty python's skit where they catapult their livestock during a siege.
Lighten up. Only tyrants cannot laugh at themselves.
Back on topic a Frenchman would not name an island sandy. Se pas vrai? So who named it? By the way it is nouveau Caledonia, and I fart in your general direction!