Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2016, 06:29   #1

Boat: 1995 Privilege 51
Skull Creek Marina Experiences in Hilton Head

Has anybody stopped at Skull Creek Marina in Hilton Head? Any experiences to relate, good bad or otherwise? Is it convenient to get to? Wind or current issues?

Thanks,
~ Following Cs ~
FollowingCs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 07:18   #2

Boat: Bristol 41.1
Re: Skull Creek Marina Experiences in Hilton Head

We have skipped Skull Creek ever since our last stop there three or four years ago.

There is one restaurant within walking distance. No groceries or stores nearby.

Transients typically end up on the face dock. In a blow, this could be uncomfortable.

There is a current that flows through there, but no worse than most of the ICW in SC and GA. This is an area that experiences pretty big tidal changes.

The bathrooms were pretty sad, not commensurate with transient dock fees, and the general sense was that the marina was in sore need of an owner/manager who really cared about it.

There is a fuel dock.

I don't recall a courtesy car, but they may still have a bicycle that you can borrow.

There is a spot just northeast of the marina for an overnight anchorage, though I wouldn't recommend it in unsettled weather.

Bear in mind that these opinions are a bit dated. Conditions may have changed. Check Active Captain for additional and/or more recent opinions and reviews.
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 06:18   #3

Boat: 1995 Privilege 51
Re: Skull Creek Marina Experiences in Hilton Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsky49 View Post
We have skipped Skull Creek ever since our last stop there three or four years ago.

There is one restaurant within walking distance. No groceries or stores nearby.

Transients typically end up on the face dock. In a blow, this could be uncomfortable.

There is a current that flows through there, but no worse than most of the ICW in SC and GA. This is an area that experiences pretty big tidal changes.

The bathrooms were pretty sad, not commensurate with transient dock fees, and the general sense was that the marina was in sore need of an owner/manager who really cared about it.

There is a fuel dock.

I don't recall a courtesy car, but they may still have a bicycle that you can borrow.

There is a spot just northeast of the marina for an overnight anchorage, though I wouldn't recommend it in unsettled weather.

Bear in mind that these opinions are a bit dated. Conditions may have changed. Check Active Captain for additional and/or more recent opinions and reviews.
Great thanks. Some of the wind, current and dockability was what I was looking for. Restrooms had a $30k renovation and look first class now. Yes, bicycles available and 4 restaurants within biking distance.

Info on the transient dock was what I was looking for.

The owner died a few years back, and management is just now coming around (2015ish).

Thanks for the info,
~ Following Cs ~
FollowingCs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, head