Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2017, 06:30   #1

Boat: Watkins 27
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten
Si-Tex equipment???

I'm looking into nav. equipment and found Si-Tex svs-760c chartp!otter. Read all about the "biggies" for years, yet know little about S-T gear. Company blurbs are scant of specs and data.
Anyone here have actual use experience ; re: quality, ergonomics, intuitivity, input on Navionics+ software, etc??

TIA,
Paul

deltaten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 04:42   #2

Boat: Voyage 440 Owners Version
Re: Si-Tex equipment???

Wish I could be more helpful however since no one seems to have any experience with Si-Tex i will say I have a Si-Tex AIS Transponder that has worked perfectly for the last two years.
My local electronics guy who has many of the local commercial fisherman in the area talked me into it when I was shopping around. Stated his commercial guys use a lot of the Si-Tex stuff year round and are happy with it. In the past he has always installed Furano and Raymarine on my boats but suggested Si-Tex on this occasion.
Good luck.

caradow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 04:54   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

They seem low pitch generic and not too bad at all. I have seen Si-Tex stuff made exact copies of NASA (the British nasa not the american one ;-) - e.g. their HF receiver. Also their AIS receiver seems a generic product.

They have been around for a time now. This is always good news.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 13:38   #4

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.

I have Si-Tex radar it's MDS 10-5 4kw open array. This radar was used on several different manufacturers plotters, I used it with Si-Tex Colormax wide display and they both were very dependable. I switched to 2 Standard Horizon 12" MFDs and still using the MDS radar, it's even better on the larger screen. I sold the Si-Tex displays to a friend who still uses them, I wouldn't hesitate to buy Si-Tex electronics again. Another plus is their customer service was always very helpful during the installation, data wiring and set-up on my boat.
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 14:16   #5

Boat: North End Marine - Stellar 30

This is pure conjecture on my part, but it appears to me, after looking at several of their products, that they generally re-brand other manufacturers' stuff.

It's not always the same manufacturer, but they seem to pick reliable lower priced options, and repackage / re-brand them with better documentation and support.

It's an interesting business strategy, IF that is in fact what they are doing, and it certainly appears that way.
mogulskibum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 14:49   #6

Boat: sabre 28

I had really good luck with Sitex on a couple of sport fishing boats I owned in the 80's & 90's.
Whether they're a nock off of someone elses product today, don't know.
Old 06-04-2017, 15:00   #7

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogulskibum View Post
This is pure conjecture on my part, but it appears to me, after looking at several of their products, that they generally re-brand other manufacturers' stuff.

It's not always the same manufacturer, but they seem to pick reliable lower priced options, and repackage / re-brand them with better documentation and support.

It's an interesting business strategy, IF that is in fact what they are doing, and it certainly appears that way.

I kinda thought it was just the opposite, other manufacturers rebrand Si-Tex equipment. The MDS series radar would work with Lowrance, Standard Horizon, Nobeltec and Northstar were some of the ones it was compatible with. Si-Tex Koden is on the label on my unit.

River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
equipment, men