Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2016, 02:12   #16

Boat: Beneteau OC 41
Re: Short trips to the Bahamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautical62 View Post
For WE, I prefer to depart from Lake Worth early morning, Clearing WE that afternoon. (I prefer sleeping at anchor to sailing through the night when possible) I've anchored out in the WE area in Cross Bay, north of the Beach Bar, in the inlet off the Indian Cay Pass and behind the crescent sand bank north of Sandy Cay. I usually gain the bank via the Indian Cay passage, but I've also exited the bank a few miles north of that just north of Sandy Cay which is much more straight forward, and not as far north as Memory Rock.

From WE, I've headed to Mangrove, Great Sale, The Grand Cays, Double Breasted, Strangers or the Carter Cays. Many cruises are hell bent on getting to the southern Abacos as quickly as possible, but I enjoy the solitude one can find in the lesser traveled northern Abacos. Lots of secluded beaches to enjoy with your dogs up there.

One time when there was a very strong south wind, I departed from Fort Lauderdale instead. Lake Worth was a good place to wait for weather. Free anchoring, a couple marine stores, restaurants, the beach and a grocery store all within walking distance.

While one needs to be careful of a north wind, I crossed in a north wind of 10 knots one winter and it wasn't that bad. The only time I've turned back was when a predicted 25 knots ESE turned out to be 35 one night.
Thanks for the very helpful information. We hope to make the the trip from RI next fall, crossing in December or January.
robgrant1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas