Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2015, 10:26   #1

Boat: Norman Cross Trimaran, 46'
Sextant Types

Anyone ever used a pocket drum sextant? Wondering how they compare in terms of ease of use and accuracy to a traditional style.
Serapium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2015, 11:46   #2

Boat: Westerly Sealord
Re: Sextant Types

This sort of thing?
Vintage Nauticalia Brass Pocket Drum Sextant SN 97550 | eBay
I owned one for a while , never used it in anger as the optics were seriously poor.
A lot of the ones on the market are Indian 'knock offs' good for nothing but the mantlepiece.

What you do see out there occasionaly are (genuine) 'half sized' sextants which are easier to stow on the yacht than full size ones. I have one branded 'Inglis Smith' ( an old Australian chandlery) but made by Tamaya.
Old 14-10-2015, 12:19   #3

Thanks Pinguino. Do you think the optics problem with the one you had was a function of design, or was it the one you had in particular? The example you posted looks very much like the one I was looking at.
Old 14-10-2015, 13:45   #4

I never figured out if mine was a knock of or not but the problem was twofold... poor glass which could have been an age thing and very small field of view. I think it would have been very difficult to use at sea... on the High Veldt during the Boer War maybe it would have been ok.
Old 14-10-2015, 15:55   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

I've been using a sextant since the 1960s. With a full sized sextant I can get within a mile on a stable platform like a ship. I have two of the small ones I use for decoration. I tried one at a dock with a clear horizon, I can only get about a 3 mile circle in good viewing conditions. I was told the small ones were made and sold to meet a personal equipment requirement in some merchant services.
I suppose 3-5 miles would be ok in the middle of the ocean. Even with a good sextant, you need to practice to get a decent fix.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2015, 16:54   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
I've been using a sextant since the 1960s. With a full sized sextant I can get within a mile on a stable platform like a ship. I have two of the small ones I use for decoration. I tried one at a dock with a clear horizon, I can only get about a 3 mile circle in good viewing conditions. I was told the small ones were made and sold to meet a personal equipment requirement in some merchant services.
I suppose 3-5 miles would be ok in the middle of the ocean. Even with a good sextant, you need to practice to get a decent fix.
I thought they were designed for land based explorers hence my reference to the high veldt..... there is a nice one here complete with box and artificial horizon https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item...sextant-outfit
Old 14-10-2015, 17:07   #7

Holy crap! $425? I think I'll stick to my $40 one.

Tags
sextant