Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2007, 09:32   #1
cruiser

Settings for Fugawi 4 and GlobalSat BU-353 GPS??

Hi Everyone,

I recently had to buy a PC (not thrilled) for software development work. Because of this, I can no longer use my beloved MacENC navigation software. The wife got the Mac.

Now, I am looking to different software package to use on a PC and have settled on Fugawi. I have a USGlobalSat BU-353 USB GPS that supports NEMA Version 2.0. According to the Fugawi website, any NEMA GPS (V2.0 or V3.0) will work:

Fugawi GPS Compatibility Table

This GPS works wonderfully on my Mac with WAAS and everything. Now that I have moved it to the PC to try and use it with Fugawi V4, I am not getting any NEMA traffic on the GPS Log (in Fugawi).

My settings are...

For the COM 4 port: 9600bps, 8 data bits, 1 Stop bit, Flow control = "none"

According to the operating system, the device is "working properly" using the Prolific USB-to-Serial driver V2.0.0.26

Inside Fugawi, my settings are: Port=COM4, Speed=9600, Parity=NONE, Data Bits=8, Stop Bits=1, Flow Control=NONE. These are set for a NEMA type GPS. All other settings are default.

No parity changes seem to make a difference. Does anyone know what I could do to get Fugawi to talk to my USGlobalSat BU-353 USB GPS??

Thanks
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 10:16   #2
cruiser

GPS issue fixed!

Would you believe I had to use a very complicated, highly technical approach?

I worked through all kinds of diagnostics at the COM port and GPS NEMA level and it all came up negative. So... I took the GPS by the cord, swung it around in a circle and smacked it into the salon table.

THIS was the solution!!

Now it works perfectly. ???
Old 02-01-2007, 10:26   #3

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Sean,
The BU 535 GPS engine is very sensitive and often requires re-calibration. You obviously swung it clockwise as this is the recommended method.
Old 02-01-2007, 13:24   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
For the COM 4 port: 9600bps, 8 data bits, 1 Stop bit, Flow control = "none"
Actually, 9600 is maybe OK but it only needs 4800. The NMEA standard is 4800. If you can set oth ends to match then I guess you have it OK. The trick is to turn on the GPS AFTER windows is all booted. If you don't, then when Windows boots it grabs the GPS as a mouse and the data as mouse input. It's a great show to watch.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 13:31   #5
cruiser

Ha ha ha.... thanks Paul. I did find that 4800 was the correct NMEA speed and reset those very soon after the initial post. The fix, literally, was to smack the GPS into the salon table. I swung it around on its cord and gave it a good whack in disgust. It was still plugged into the USB port and the minute it hit, NMEA data started flowing on the NMEA monitoring screen. No kidding.

I almost got up and did an "Eeeeeeeehhhhh!", Fonzy style.

Tags
fugawi, GlobalSat