Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2019, 20:25   #31

Re: Seeing at Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Yes of course those organizations with huge resources are highly motivated, and I think 3-5 years out might be too conservative for generalized self-captained drone boats, remote assisted.

Probably 2 years for narrow fixed route cases like observation patrols.

That has nothing to do with when the tech and rule changes filter down to small private pleasure craft.

Even less to do with here and now.
I has everything to do with it sport, FLIR is already been used as an alternative to going outside, do you know why??? rules wise that is???

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2019, 21:21   #32
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

On small private pleasure craft?

That's what's being discussed here.

But yes curious, do tell, and please specify the ship types for context
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2019, 21:39   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
On small private pleasure craft?

That's what's being discussed here.

But yes curious, do tell, and please specify the ship types for context
Yes on small pleasure craft! i know of 2 in the marina where my boat is berthed, they are actually advertised for such applications and the local Chandlery sells them.........keep up mate!

As for ship types, my ship types for one (AHTS) and many more recent (last 10 years or so) new builds, many don't even have bridge wings anymore for the lookout to go for a stroll....

Again, do you know why??? rules wise that is???

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2019, 04:06   #34

Boat: Riva 48

We should be more open about new technologies. I have experimented with various cameras, infrared, first gen night vision, augmented by infrared torches, etc. The best solution for me is a cheap automotive camera with what is called a starlight sensor. It is not infrared as the original poster noted. It shows distant lights nearly as well as the naked eye. I have one facing forward, two on the sides and one facing backward. It is a lot of fun and over time you learn to trust them and suppress the feeling to show your head above. I have tried docking “on instruments only” but the autopilot is not fast enough to give me comfort. It does not cost much, $40/per camera, the devices are tiny and it is a fun system to have on board. Whether it is the primary instrument, the secondary instrument or just a comfort aid while you need to be in the head for a few minutes - let’s leave this choice to the individual boater and focus on the merits of the system.
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2019, 04:32   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

I wish there was an area in this forum where single handlers could discuss their craft without being harassed. To hear some folks talk boats should not leave harbor without 4 competent crew.

Just made an over night passage, watched radar only for about 6 hours. I’d leak out occasionally to look at the gear. Why? Because I could not see anything, even in daylight hours, heavy fog. You could have lined the deck with crew and it would have done no good.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2019, 05:29   #36

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

First, use your 7x50 binoculars - they gather more light than your eyes do, so dim night stuff suddenly is visible. Then, don't look through glass - it's a 15% or so loss right there.

Caution on image intensifiers: The US Department of Defense does not permit Gen 3 or higher to go outside the country. I tried with a $5,000 monocular for research purposes, and got turned down flatly.
Old 24-06-2019, 07:37   #37

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

Neat idea.
Old 24-06-2019, 07:51   #38

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

I've experimented with using IR security cameras connected to chart plotter.

The camera can see under 1 lux, way better than naked eye. Limited field of view means I swivel to whatever blip I see on radar.

I haven't connected it permanently yet, but added to a backup camera on the swim platform to see the corner of the dock I always seem to hit when I park,...and I can see tailgaters coming up on me.

More visibility seems good to me, the technology is there. We just need to remember to look up.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2019, 08:03   #39

Augmenting one's reality and senses for enhancing situational awareness and alerting to navigational issues at further distances is highly practical and the sharing of ideas and technological innovations and alternative applications of technology is a key attribute and purpose of the CruisersForum.

I just don't get the basis for the nature of attitude and expression that is dismissive and condescending or lacking in forum decorum.

Let's recall appropriateness of behavior and interaction is decorum not dickorum.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2019, 08:30   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Augmenting one's reality and senses for enhancing situational awareness and alerting to navigational issues at further distances is highly practical and the sharing of ideas and technological innovations and alternative applications of technology is a key attribute and purpose of the CruisersForum.
Thank you Montanan. I just wanted to share. Didn't expect my post to be so controversial or to generate such hostility.
clayzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2019, 08:40   #41

Boat: Caliber 40 LRC

The OP didn’t present this as an augmentation of existing watch keeping capabilities, it was presented an alternative to proper, on-deck watch keeping...big difference. You aren’t supposed to necessarily be “comfortable” on night watch, you’re supposed to be awake and aware. Warm and comfortable on the settee in the middle of the night...you fall asleep.
Red Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2019, 08:44   #42

I have CCTV cameras for rear-view. I spent a bit more for ones that are more sensitive than most, and they have automatic aperture control and zoom so they make maximum use of the lens and close up in bright conditions. A bigger aperture lens will gather more light too. They are indoor units, looking out through domes in the wheelhouse sides. I use car-type visor displays.
Do you have red, dimmable lighting in your instruments and wheelhouse, and switch off the main lights ? Your eyes can take 15 minutes to fully adjust from normal to night vision.
skenn_ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2019, 08:52   #43
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Catamaran, Homebuilt, 8m

At the risk of being shot down in a hail of ire, we carried out a test of the relatively inexpensive iOS FLIR One camera ( $200 or so ) with the Practical Boat Owner crew late one night in the Solent and were favourably impressed by how far it could see ships and a MOB. You can read about our experience here:-

https://pocketmariner.com/boatbeaconflirone/
sarita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2019, 09:14   #44

I look at the pictures and I'm not clear what is being brought to the table here. I can clearly see the white all around lights on the vessels and they are very far away.

This reminds me of some coastal cruisers who insist on using large spot lights like "headlights" with the light on constantly. They haven't learned HOW to process what they're seeing at night. Worse, the spot light kills their night vision justifying its further use.

naked eye can see the nav lights. The camera shows the entire boat. Big Deal. I know the boat is there from the lights to begin with. If it is so far off that you can barely make it out, it is very doubtful you're going to be engaged in either a collision or allision.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2019, 09:15   #45

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Sky View Post
The OP didn’t present this as an augmentation of existing watch keeping capabilities, it was presented an alternative to proper, on-deck watch keeping...big difference. You aren’t supposed to necessarily be “comfortable” on night watch, you’re supposed to be awake and aware. Warm and comfortable on the settee in the middle of the night...you fall asleep.
This is exactly the point.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote