Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2008, 21:42   #1

SeaClear Com Port Problem

Hello,

I am trying to set SeaClear up on an older IBM thinkpad. It has a serial port and it is enabled.

When I start SeaClear, I get "can not open com port 1". SeaClear is set for Com port 1.

Any ideas what I have set up wrong either in SeaClear or in the computer?

Tom
tomowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2008, 03:24   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to phiggins
Are you using the Thinkpad Configuration Utility to enable the comport? Do a search on "Thinkpad Configuration Utility".

Also can you get anything else besides SeaClear to receive anything on the comport like the Hyper Terminal?

Paul
phiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2008, 04:58   #3

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Check the Device Manager to make sure that your serial port GPS is being assigned to COM1--if its another port, change the SeaClear tools/properties/Comm.

Make sure the baud rate matches, usually 4800 baud, but can be 2400 or 38400.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2008, 07:03   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Don't turn on the GPS until after you boot the system and Windows has loaded and you are logged in looking at the desktop. Windows has a nasty habit of grabing the GPS signal and assuming it is a mouse. It does it not every time but almost most of the time. Makes for some fun adventures and will drive you nuts.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2008, 20:52   #5

Boat: Privilege 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
Windows has a nasty habit of grabing the GPS signal and assuming it is a mouse. It does it not every time but almost most of the time. Makes for some fun adventures and will drive you nuts.
Fix for this: Overview of the COMDisable Tool . Despite the name and poor documentation, this does not actually disable the COM port, it just tells Windows crappy device driver to not assume the COM port has a serial mouse. Considering that MS has known about this for 7+ years you'd think they would have actually fixed the bug instead of providing this workaround. Anyway, hope it's helpful.
scotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2008, 18:30   #6

Sea Clear Com Port Problems

Thank you for the three replies. Still no success on this end. Here is where I am. Any more help would be appreciated.

I can not find Thinkpad configuration utility. I am running XP.

The Garmin GPS 48 is set to NEMA/NEMA using NEMA 0183 2.0 at 4800 baud.

Com Port 1 is enable via device manager. It is at 4800 baud, 8 bit etc. It is set for device instance ID.

With the GPS connected or not connected, when I start SeaClear, I get "could not open Communication Port 1". Clicking OK gets me to SeaClear with no GPS input.

I do not have another serial port device to try the port.

I suspect that the prior owner set the computer us so that the comport could not be used. This is a guess.

Any more suggestions would be appreciated.

Tom
Old 24-07-2008, 03:50   #7

I have a copy of the the Thinkpad Configuration utility. You have to use it to turn on the comport in the bios of a thinkpad. Its called 1xu503u1.exe if you can't find it PM me with your email address and I will send you a copy.

Paul
Old 24-07-2008, 04:33   #8

Try here for the Configuration Utilitity. Its probably more up to date than my copy:

Lenovo Support & downloads - Configuration utility for Windows 95, 98, 98SE, Me, 2000, XP - ThinkPad

Paul
Old 24-07-2008, 08:40   #9

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 25 "Turtle"
Try this......

First be sure, by checking in "My Computer", which comport your GPS is REALLY using. My ancient(still has a 3.5 floppy drive and 2 serial ports) HP laptop only has 3 USB ports but lists my GPS as using commport 7 and the AIS as using commport 8. Why is this? Beats me, but it is. I must also plug both into the SAME USB port(ie the GPS goes in the port on the side of the 'puter and the AIS goes in the upper of the 2 ports on the back) every time or I confuse the 'puter and Seaclear.

Once you're sure which port your GPS is using open Seaclear, close the "cannot open port 1". Go to Tools(upper right), Properties, Comm. Be sure TxRx1 is set to the correct commport for your GPS and the rate is set at 4800 baud. Click SAVE. I have found that using a USB antenna instead of a GPS with Seaclear works just fine and since I can't hook it into the chartplotter on the boat anyway, this works for me.

Once again, don't ask me how or why it works because I can't tell you. I CAN tell you it does. I can plot waypoints and routes using Seaclear by piddling around with the ROUTES menu until I remember how to do it.

Being a Ludite has its advantages although I can't think of any beyond not having to suffer through the first several incarnations of any given technology. Remember $500 digital watches?

Have fun and don't get frustrated. Seaclear does work and once you figure it out you'll love it...........martin
Old 24-07-2008, 12:36   #10

Boat: 1981 C&C 34
Just try all ports in SeaClear until you get one that doesn't produce the "cannot open.." message. Then use Tools | System | NMEA Input Monitor to see if any data is flowing.
JohnWms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2008, 17:07   #11

see if you can find the hyperterminal program under programs/accessories/communications. Run hyperterminal, create a new connection using COM1, set the baud rate to 4800, and see what happens.

If the screen starts filling with data lines that begin with $G, your gps and the com port are working, and you have a SeaClear problem. If you get no data, you have a com port or GPS problem.
Old 24-07-2008, 19:17   #12

Don et al,

OK, I got hyperterminal downloaded and set up the comport. I get the $G stuff when the GPS is connected.

So, I guess I am down to a SeaClear problem.

What do you suggest?

Thanks

Tom
Old 24-07-2008, 19:30   #13

Hello all,

Well, by going from com port to com port, I got it working. I wound up with SeaClear on com 3. So the key was setting up the comport using hyperterminal, then trying all the comports.

Thanks to everyone that provided advice.

Tom
Old 24-07-2008, 19:34   #14

Go to the SeaClear directory and open the SEACLEAR_2 configuration file (with notepad).

Check to make sure that
Com Port=1
BaudRateId=5

If it doesn't, edit the configuratin file and save it, then try reopening seaclear.

If it the config file has the right com port and baudrateid, I'm stumped.