Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 26-10-2015, 18:43   #1

Sea of Cortez Sonrisa ssb broadcast

As I 've mentioned in another post, I am planning a kayak trip from LA Bay to Santa Rosalia in 2016.
I'm wondering if the Sonrisa ssb broadcast from El Burro cove is normally available in January and February, and if it can reliably be received with a simple battery powered ssb such as the Tecsun 600. Thanks

Old 28-10-2015, 17:12   #2

Boat: Valiant V40
Re: Sea of Cortez Sonrisa ssb broadcast

Yes, the Sonrisa SSB net meets daily at 13.30Z on 3.968 lsb. On occasion, interference causes the net to move a few clicks up or down.

Can't be sure if your handheld will be reliable, but you can always ask for a relay, provided of course a) it is a transceiver and b) you have a general class ham license.

Old 28-10-2015, 22:48   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamhass View Post
Yes, the Sonrisa SSB net meets daily at 13.30Z on 3.968 lsb. On occasion, interference causes the net to move a few clicks up or down.

Can't be sure if your handheld will be reliable, but you can always ask for a relay, provided of course a) it is a transceiver and b) you have a general class ham license.
Thanks for the info. I ordered a Tecsun 606 (the 600 was sold out) Reviews for this small, inexpensive(less than $100.00) receiver indicate that it is of very good quality with three or four tuning methods and good reception of lsb.
This will be my first use of a ssb radio so I have a few questions:
I am under the impression that if I dial in the correct frequency I will hear Geary broadcasting from El Burro Cove at 13.30z every day. When you say that the Sonrisa net meets daily at this time, do you mean that these people will listen to the broadcast then perhaps make comments based on their own observations of the weather conditions wherever they may be at that time?
I will post back with my experience with the Tecsun sometime after mid February 2016.
Old 28-10-2015, 23:05   #4

Boat: Grand Banks 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seasider View Post
Thanks for the info. I ordered a Tecsun 606 (the 600 was sold out) Reviews for this small, inexpensive(less than $100.00) receiver indicate that it is of very good quality with three or four tuning methods and good reception of lsb.
This will be my first use of a ssb radio so I have a few questions:
I am under the impression that if I dial in the correct frequency I will hear Geary broadcasting from El Burro Cove at 13.30z every day. When you say that the Sonrisa net meets daily at this time, do you mean that these people will listen to the broadcast then perhaps make comments based on their own observations of the weather conditions wherever they may be at that time?
I will post back with my experience with the Tecsun sometime after mid February 2016.
===

Are you sure that the 606 has SSB reception? I just looked at it on Amazon and could find no mention of it. The 600 on the other hand is specifically listed as having SSB capability.
Old 29-10-2015, 00:31   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne.b View Post
===

Are you sure that the 606 has SSB reception? I just looked at it on Amazon and could find no mention of it. The 600 on the other hand is specifically listed as having SSB capability.
It looks like I will be sending the 606 back, spending another $50.00 and buying the 600.
Old 30-10-2015, 12:00   #6

Boat: Valiant V40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seasider View Post
The Sonrisa net is a cruisers net. For the first 15 minutes or so, various cruisers check into the net and give a brief status overview, who they are, where they are, weather conditions, etc. and occasionally send/receive brief messages with other cruisers. At 1345z Geary gives his weather report, followed by specific requests for "weather fills" from cruisers. Following Geary's weather (usually around 1400z) the net returns to its "check-in" format.

Note also that on occasion the net moves to a different frequency due to poor propagation, interference, etc. The move isn't very far, usually a few clicks up/down.
Old 30-10-2015, 23:18   #7

Quote:
The Sonrisa net is a cruisers net. For the first 15 minutes or so, various cruisers check into the net and give a brief status overview, who they are, where they are, weather conditions, etc. and occasionally send/receive brief messages with other cruisers. At 1345z Geary gives his weather report, followed by specific requests for "weather fills" from cruisers. Following Geary's weather (usually around 1400z) the net returns to its "check-in" format.

Note also that on occasion the net moves to a different frequency due to poor propagation, interference, etc. The move isn't very far, usually a few clicks up/down.
Good information. It will be interesting to know the numbers and locations of cruisers who check in during January/February. On anther noet, I was able to cancel the Tecsun 606 an order a 600 instead.
Old 30-10-2015, 23:20   #8

Quote:

Good information. It will be interesting to know the numbers and locations of cruisers who check in during January/February. On another note, I was able to cancel the Tecsun 606 an order a 600 instead.

Tags
sea of cortez, ssb

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: