Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2009, 08:28   #16

Boat: Multichine 37 - Steel Sloop
I really appreciate all answer and help.

But I keep on looking for a solution.... ;(

Thank you all (and sorry for the many posts, I wanst receiving the emails...)

daniel
danrochas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 07:58   #17

Boat: pilot cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by danrochas View Post
Daunting they are indeed!!

I've tried the solutions you propose and by now am quite aware of this issues when connecting this devices.

The problem, as I've stated on other post is that SEACLEAR cannot open ports!!! The device manager in windows does not even shows any ports if the isn't anything connected to the.

I need a insight!!

For me this is turning from daunting to haunting!!!

Why after a couple of hours trying different possibilities it just works and after I close and open it again it stops working?

Regards

Daniel
Don't use SeaClear to 'open ports'. Use the GPS 'test' program that comes with your GPS to initialize the GPS, then close it and open SeaClear. SeaClear will then usually see the GPS.

You see, the problem comes when different software(s) like to configure the GPS setting for their own use. Usually, those settings are different for differing programs. For example, the Delorme GPS 'test' program for the Earthmate likes to see the GPS firmware set to USB mode, while the Seaclear soltware wants the GPS set to 'generic', with an assigned com port, 4500 baud rate, 8 data bits, and 1 stop bit. (By the same token, you may need to manually assign the GPS a com port, & baud rate, data, stop bits -- in the Windows device manager -- yeah, I know...its a USB, but it still can be assigned a (virtual) com port --before SeaClear will 'recognize' or 'see' it.

One other thing....be patient, as sometimes it takes several minutes before SeaClear will see the GPS unit, as the GPS has to acquire the satellites and a signal before SeaClear will accept it, apparently. Patience is a virtue
Not Sure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 09:08   #18

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Hyperterminal is part of Windows, usually found in the Accessories/Communications part of 'all programs'. When it asks how to connect, select the appropriate com port, then set the baud rate on the next screen. You should get a window which is filling with NMEA data. See NMEA data for interpreting the data. If you get garbage, try changing the baud rate.
donradcliffe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 09:19   #19
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Westsail 32 #676
Quote:
Originally Posted by danrochas View Post
Hey Bob.

I wish it was that simple! I tried all combinations for sure.

Even without anything connected to the laptop the SEACLEAR 99% of time say it cannot open the com port, whichever tha is. 3, 4, 137...

Any new ideas?
Try the following for diagnostic purposes.

1. Boot your computer without the GPS connected.
2. After the boot is complete open the device manager and expand "Ports"
3. Plug in your GPS.

At this point XP should go "Ding Dong" and the device manager should update showing "Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port (Com X)".

If this happens then you should be able to load SeaClear, go to Tools-->Properties-->Comm tab and set the appropriate Com number and baud rate and SeaClear will open the port. Check that SeaClear is reading the data by going to Tools-->System-->NMEA Input Monitor and seeing the NMEA sentences scroll thru the window.

If the device manager doesn't see the GPS then it is not SeaClear with the problem. It would be the operating system not detecting the GPS.
Old 10-10-2009, 11:05   #20

Boat: EliBit, Evolution 25
if your box has more usb ports... then use that usb port what was working fine the first time.

my setup; maxsea, bu 353, eeepc901 & trackball.

my eeepc has 1 usb on port and 2 usb ports on starboard. i have installed the bu 353 on the starboard aft usb port and all works fine. but if i plug the bu 353 in any other usb port it doesn't work. maxsea while starting up will tell me can't open com port bla bla.

so this might be your problem too?
bitman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
GlobalSat