Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2006, 14:25   #1
cruiser

Screen Shot of ENC Software

This is a screen shot of MacENC by GPSNavX. This is the way I do chartplotting, using NOAA's ENC charts. I also have the raster charts for the area (traditional looking) which can laid right over the ENC charts in the software.

I have all this hooked up to a GPS and can download a week's worth of wind data to show wind forecasts on the charts as well. It can interface with radar, but I haven't gotten that far yet.

Thought I'd share my good experience with this company. Purchasing was very smooth, and the sofware works very well. And it's CHEAP! I think I paid a total of less than $200 for the software, charts, and GPS receiver that hooks up to my computer via USB.

This runs on Macs with OS X.

ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2006, 15:15   #2

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser
How about a link

How about a link to the product.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2006, 15:30   #3

Very nice Sean.

How much for the main chartplotting unit itself?

And what brand and model?

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2006, 15:30   #4
cruiser

You got it...

Here's the link:

http://www.gpsnavx.com/
Old 15-03-2006, 15:32   #5
cruiser

Main chartplotting unit is the Macintosh iBook.

I no longer have a PowerBook....

This is software to run on OS X that turns your computer into a GPS/radar/autohelm/weather date enabled chartplotter.

Quote:
CaptainK once whispered in the wind:
Very nice Sean.

How much for the main chartplotting unit itself?

And what brand and model?
Old 15-03-2006, 15:46   #6
cruiser

Should also add that clicking on anything in the ENC brings up an information window showing an incredible amount of data on the object. This works for markers, lighthouses, anchorages, wrecks, etc...

As you zoom in more, the names of the markers start to appear too. It does everything a normal chartplotter would do. Track, waypoints, run your autohelm, anchor alarms, proximity alarms, you name it.

So for the price this might make sense for somebody who has a Mac and wants to use it aboard for more than the Cruiser's Forum.
Old 15-03-2006, 15:54   #7

Boat: currently "on the beach"
I saw the product promo article several months ago in one of the sailing mags. Nice to see it working. Have a new MacBook Pro headed to my door (needed upgrade) so I will be mobile again. If I can get my brain to keep up, I will give it a try. Thanks for the heads-up ! I have been out straight and not catching all the threads these days.

Larry

We have met the enemy and he is us. - Walt Kelly
capt lar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2006, 16:31   #8

You lost me Sean.

Do you. Or do you not own a chartplotting device?

From what you've shown is that just all computer chartplotting software. Without a chartplotter. Or with a chartplotter?

I'm still learning about these devices. And would love to know anything, and everything Sean!!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
Old 15-03-2006, 17:48   #9
cruiser

Sorry if I wasn't clear CaptainK.

With the right software, your computer can be your chart plotter. That's mostly what this section of the Forum seems to cover.

In my case, I have a Macintosh iBook:

http://www.apple.com/ibook/

Which runs MacENC. MacENC is chartplotting software for the Mac. It allows you to do everything I was talking about above from your computer. There is a USB GPS that plugs into one of my USB ports and that comes up with your position, showing it as the little blue triangle in the screen shot. (Please... no GPS-guided bombs!)

So with this software, you don't need an expensive chart plotter.

However, if you do want to watch the chart and do waypoints and stuff from the helm, you need an expensive, waterproof, high output, touchscreen display. They have them for the Mac. We are thinking about getting one next year. This year... too much cash outlay.
Old 15-03-2006, 18:01   #10

OH NO!!!!!!!! NOT A MAC!!!

Hell. Do they have a program for IBM compatable laptops? I haven't really been a MAC fan. They aren't as powerful as the IBM models.

No offense, Sean!!

Old 15-03-2006, 18:41   #11
cruiser

OS X is a far superior OS. Take it from a guy with a minor in Computer Science who worked as a software developer and owned a company that developed custom software and databases.

It has nothing to do with "ease of use" or anything. It's just superior in so many ways. More robust (less crashes), and my favorite... I've only had to think about one virus in the last few years since I switched. I open emails and visit websites without even thinking about anything happening to my computer because it can't. It's based on open source software and has a UNIX-flavor back-end. Very elegant.

Now that Macs dumped the Motorola chipsets in favor of Intel... they are the same speed as PCs (except faster to use, since they don't have a bloated OS like Windows XP slowing them down)

Plus... for us geeks, you can open up the UNIX command line and have fun like in the good old days.

But alas... the less people that like Macs the better, since I don't want it getting over crowded and becoming a haven for viruses...
Old 15-03-2006, 18:55   #12

Ok Sean. If you say so!!

But, if I plan to get myself a laptop. I'm getting a used one. Those damn things are too expensive for my taste!! Especially if I have to switch over to another operating systems and the such.

I didn't know that Motorola made chips for the Macs. And I sure as hell didn't know about the Intel deal either. That's new, news to me. I don't keep up with technological news. I find it boring. Sorry!!

But, I just want a system that somewhere down the road. WHen I get feed up. Or just want to cut the lines. And escape out of reality. I can use a operating system. "That WORKS!!

I am not that computer savvy. I am a simple man. I like to keep myself simple. And not to tie myself up in technological gadgets. If I were like the half of some of the people who were like that. You might as well plug me into a electrical outlet. And let me recharge myself like the "BORG" do on Star Trek The Next Generation do?

I just want to use KISS method only. So if there is a used market for Mac laptops. That are powerful enough to handle that software that you are talking about. Then, maybe we could talk more?

Old 15-03-2006, 19:38   #13
cruiser

Ah... I like having debates with people about computers. It's an old pastime.

I know what you mean about not wanting to be the Borg... ha ha ha

I find myself torn. When I'm out sailing - really sailing and not sitting in a marina working on my boat (yuck!), I enjoy less technology. But... sitting here with a computer in front of me, it turns out I'm online quite a bit.

PCs are definitely cheaper. No question. About it.

There are plenty of software packages that do what MacENC does for the PC. Maptech, Fugawi (best one, I think), etc...

Your KISS strategy is a good way to go. I am not looking forward to maintaining and replacing all the "stuff" we have on this boat. If it were up to me, I'd have something more like Kai Nui's Kittawake (maybe not wood... personal preference since I'm too lazy to maintain a wooden boat! ha ha)

But... I have a market to serve and they expect all the gadgets. I even have WiFi internet ON BOARD. Yes... I get an internet connection from far far away, and then re-broadcast it inside the boat for guests to use. Too much technology.

"cybersailing" is pretty lame!
Old 15-03-2006, 19:53   #14

I'm not too much into wood boats like Kai is. He's the WOOD boats man. I don't like cleaning up the wood like you're suppose too!!

But Kai's boat is fine. I have been aboard her. Not out sailing. But aboard her.

KISS is the best way I think. Probably paper charts and something in computers that are simple and yet, not too damn expensive!!

I can understand about the "client thing," when you're dealing with technology onboard your boat, Sean. That's why you're having this field day with it!!

Old 26-08-2006, 09:44   #15

Boat: J/35 - No Tomorrows
Quote:
However, if you do want to watch the chart and do waypoints and stuff from the helm, you need an expensive, waterproof, high output, touchscreen display. They have them for the Mac. We are thinking about getting one next year. This year... too much cash outlay.
I'm using MacENC with the USB GPS for my chart plotter and its impossible to see the screen in the sun. Where did you see the touch screen deal? I'd love to check it out.

Thanks!

-jim lee
jim lee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc