Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-07-2013, 07:10   #421

Actually I have an email to my Senator Bob Corker to access the satellite imaging. Only a Congressman or Senator can request from the government agency who deals with this in the US.

Of course more that write the more likely will get them to do!!

Cherie
Old 07-07-2013, 07:42   #422

Boat: Leopard 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friend of Nina View Post
Actually I have an email to my Senator Bob Corker to access the satellite imaging. Only a Congressman or Senator can request from the government agency who deals with this in the US.

Of course more that write the more likely will get them to do!!

Cherie
DigialGlobe and Geoeye are probably the two biggest imagery providers in the US and are not a govt agency. Anyone can purchase imagery from them. You might try them directly with this story. For SAR you would have to contact JAXA in Japan, ESA in Europe or CCRS in Canada. They may help and you may not need to wait for the senator.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:47   #423

Re: Schooner Nina - MERGED 3 THREADS

Dear ShaktiGuri, Please could you contact DigitalGlobe to ask about high res visible images (not SAR) from this area if available. We would obviously like to look at NOW images, maybe as well as PAST images. Thanks. My son is Matthew Wootton, the 35 year old Briton on board.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:01   #424

I've re-read the article on stuff.co.nz and there might well be a clue as to the fate of Nina.quote" experts had noted that the hull was warped" know as "Hogged". If this is true in very heavy weather there might have been major structural failure such as the keel bolts or keel failing which would lead to a instant capsize and unlikely righting. This in turn would not have given the crew any time to reach for the Epirb or launch the liferaft. When was the last time inspection and a pass was done on the keel bolts?

This is not the first time such a event has happened and unfortunately will not be the last. Being "old fashioned" is just no excuse for not carrying AIS, which would have accurately given her last good position and a self launching EPIRB

Of course I hope that I am wrong and she, with all her crew intact show up somewhere soon.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:16   #425

Boat: Leopard 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worried Mum View Post
Dear ShaktiGuri, Please could you contact DigitalGlobe to ask about high res visible images (not SAR) from this area if available. We would obviously like to look at NOW images, maybe as well as PAST images. Thanks. My son is Matthew Wootton, the 35 year old Briton on board.
Imagery of this type is taken in about 25 sq mi areas. If someone could provide some positions and dates I could enquire about what is available. I am just not sure if they collect in this area as they tend to only keep images over areas of high interest (urban or possibly shipping ports). Open ocean images are collected for climate and weather but don't have the high res needed to see individual boats.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:46   #426
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
I don't believe anything about a warped hull as a result of not hauling out. Wooden boats love being in salt water and they (David and Rosemary) actually splashed salt water into the bilge regularly to keep it healthy.

It is fresh water and haul out's (sitting on dry land) that can quickly damage wooden hulls. That said, I do realize that modern boats can take more severe punishings. However, the weather and storm descriptions don't sound that bad to me; I have been in that often and am sure Nina was too; this is no "perfect storm" story. A good captain and crew can handle this and have done so on a regular basis. I do believe their sails were bad, but there was an engine to keep enough speed for steering so I see no big problem there either. We should think multiple smaller incidents leading to something more serious, rather than one simple thing like a dropped keel or fallen apart hull, which are all so very unlikely to happen that I don't believe it.

I still see them in a life raft or on some deserted shoreline when I close my eyes.

Old 07-07-2013, 09:59   #427

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I don't believe anything about a warped hull as a result of not hauling out. Wooden boats love being in salt water and they (David and Rosemary) actually splashed salt water into the bilge regularly to keep it healthy.

It is fresh water and haul out's (sitting on dry land) that can quickly damage wooden hulls. That said, I do realize that modern boats can take more severe punishings. However, the weather and storm descriptions don't sound that bad to me; I have been in that often and am sure Nina was too; this is no "perfect storm" story. A good captain and crew can handle this and have done so on a regular basis. I do believe their sails were bad, but there was an engine to keep enough speed for steering so I see no big problem there either. We should think multiple smaller incidents leading to something more serious, rather than one simple thing like a dropped keel or fallen apart hull, which are all so very unlikely to happen that I don't believe it.

I still see them in a life raft or on some deserted shoreline when I close my eyes.
Jedi, whilst I read and don't disagree on your statements, when did you sell Jedi? And what did the survey say about the condition of the keel bolts? Were they ever replace during the last 94 years? It's difficult to X-ray keel bolts in a lead keel.
Bad sails= bad other stuff. Just saying.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:18   #428
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazzer View Post

Jedi, whilst I read and don't disagree on your statements, when did you sell Jedi? And what did the survey say about the condition of the keel bolts? Were they ever replace during the last 94 years? It's difficult to X-ray keel bolts in a lead keel.
Bad sails= bad other stuff. Just saying.
You're not making any sense so let's leave it at that and keep this thread about Nina and her crew and not about me or my boat.

Old 07-07-2013, 11:05   #429

Boat: Skookum 53'

It is way too early to be throwing in the towel. I agree with the 3 month timeline, or even 4. Now is not the time to be losing hope. I have been weathered in an area for as long as 3 weeks. Offshore you do what it takes for the survival of the ship and crew. They may have had to take the long way around.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:18   #430

Boat: a sailing boat

I am not certain what someone meant re the boat 'not hauled out'.

I think she was highly likely to get hauled out prior to going on this passage. AUS authorities do not welcome sailing boats with any growth on their bottoms. I think most boats haul out prior to going to AUS.

As regards fresh/salt water: Whangarei seems fresh water. It is tidal allright, but I think the water is fresh. The port is pretty high up the river after all.

b.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:31   #431
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazzer View Post
I've re-read the article on stuff.co.nz and there might well be a clue as to the fate of Nina.quote" experts had noted that the hull was warped" know as "Hogged". If this is true in very heavy weather there might have been major structural failure such as the keel bolts or keel failing which would lead to a instant capsize and unlikely righting. This in turn would not have given the crew any time to reach for the Epirb or launch the liferaft. When was the last time inspection and a pass was done on the keel bolts?

This is not the first time such a event has happened and unfortunately will not be the last. Being "old fashioned" is just no excuse for not carrying AIS, which would have accurately given her last good position and a self launching EPIRB

Of course I hope that I am wrong and she, with all her crew intact show up somewhere soon.
as for the experts,the vessel might have been hogged,but hogging is generally a result of a wooden vessel spending too long "out" of the water,not in the water
Old 07-07-2013, 13:00   #432

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

I'd like to ask again that we reserve this thread for the purpose for which it was begun, for the friends and family of people aboard the Nina to exchange information relative to the vessel, and move off either to DOJ's Family/Float Plan for cruisers thread, or a new one with a name that would lead those who wish to say what they've learned from this thread, or how it has caused them to make what kinds of changes to their own boats, or whatever.

Trying to stay helpful is just about the only thing we can do to help these people who are just as feeling-some and worthy as ourselves, just not immersed in the sailing lifestyle. Do they not deserve our supportive behavior? Just as we would if the positions were reversed...?

Ann
Old 07-07-2013, 13:09   #433

Boat: 55' Romsdal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
I'd like to ask again that we reserve this thread for the purpose for which it was begun, for the friends and family of people aboard the Nina to exchange information relative to the vessel, and move off either to DOJ's Family/Float Plan for cruisers thread, or a new one with a name that would lead those who wish to say what they've learned from this thread, or how it has caused them to make what kinds of changes to their own boats, or whatever.

Trying to stay helpful is just about the only thing we can do to help these people who are just as feeling-some and worthy as ourselves, just not immersed in the sailing lifestyle. Do they not deserve our supportive behavior? Just as we would if the positions were reversed...?

Ann
Thank you.
Old 07-07-2013, 13:16   #434

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Cherie,

I followed your suggestion and sent a brief e-mail to Sen. Corker. Actually, it would be difficult for people from other countries to help in this sort of campaign because of not having a US address to use. Still, I think if he did help out, at least the people on CF would become favorably disposed towards him, n'est-ce pas?

We're holding good thoughts for you and all the other friends and family.

Ann
Old 07-07-2013, 13:33   #435

Boat: Alden Yawl 51'

I'm still wondering if David's mothers home phone records can be accessed, as there was a possible call to her homeline mentioned, if it could be verified that a sat call came in this could help to know that the crew were still active on a much later date than is known now?
Closed Thread