Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-07-2013, 08:18   #376

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkdig View Post
I pray that the human spirit prevails here.

After reading all the posts i have learned that there is more i can do on my own boat to help in such a situation.
I will now add
1.a portable sat phone with a spare battery and solar charger.
2. Plb beacons with gps for everyone on board during ocean voyages.
3. Add a epirb with gps to the liferaft.
4. Handheld VHF
5. Full class b AIS stand alone to my raymarine system
6. Maybe a spot ?

It seems the inability to make contact in anyway between Nina and the search operations just makes things extremly difficult all round.

I really hope they pull through.
I would like to add SSB to your list and that we are talking offshore boating here.
Radar is very useful for thunderstorm avoidance.

Maybe we should start a separate thread for this?
Old 05-07-2013, 09:21   #377
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Schooner Nina - MERGED 3 THREADS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazzer View Post
I started a thread on this relevant topic http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...it-105039.html

a month or so back, didn't get much traction at the time (to be fair I also forgot about it soon after!, and until now).
Old 05-07-2013, 09:48   #378

Those near Panama City, Fla. They will have a vigil for the Nina July 11th at the St. Andrews Marina. 8pm

Cherie
Old 05-07-2013, 10:10   #379

Boat: '89 Kawasaki TS650

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazzer View Post
I would like to add SSB to your list and that we are talking offshore boating here.
Radar is very useful for thunderstorm avoidance.

As a novice sailor, I'd appreciate it.

Is there some best practices document for cruising far from land? What equipment and training are recommended?

Our local windsurfing club has a good webpage with equipment and procedures in case of a breakdown: attempting repairs or self rescue, then waiting for rescue if the prior steps fail. I've committed this to memory and carry the equipment they recommend.
Old 05-07-2013, 13:31   #380

I personally dont think this is the time and place to write about what safety equipment should be carried offshore cruising, mainly out of respect to those on the boat since such a topic might be viewed critical of the skipper and crew of Nina. Sure I personally would have done things differently (I think) but I'm sure they are all doing their best to get home safely.
Old 05-07-2013, 13:37   #381

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

I'd like to second bazzer's motion. Possibly those who want to discuss float plans and so forth could re-activate DOJ's abovementioned thread?

For what it may be worth, I'll follow this thread a while more, if only to be available for the friends and relatives associated with the Nina.

Ann
Old 05-07-2013, 14:31   #382

Boat: Brooke Cutter 38

I agree! None of us know what's hapened to Nina or where she might be. It's a big sea and a good boat. Let's see what develops over the next days and weeks. All the best to friends and family!

Rick
Old 05-07-2013, 14:33   #383

Boat: Alden Yawl 51'

Hi Cherie, I have been following the search for Nina on here ( much better than the papers) We met Rosemary in Whangarei , and what a lovely person, Cherie we are thinking of you and your family and the others on board daily since we heard they were missing.
In sure there are so many more who have met and been touched by these fantastic people we are all keeping the hope with you. Kia Kaha
Old 05-07-2013, 18:24   #384

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. Of course we want them to come back to port.
I loved visiting Whangeri. Beautiful area.
Old 05-07-2013, 18:57   #385
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Schooner Nina - MERGED 3 THREADS

Well I'll stick with the 'Old man of the Sea' who's skipper of the boat... folk have given me up... and I've proved em wrong... I've taken 3 weeks to cover 200 miles in a 22ft boat in 60kt+ winds with recorded 10metre+ seas in the Biscay in Dec... and assorted other storms in other boats folks said I was crazy to set of crossing Oceans in... short of a holing or hull failure I reckon they're okay and limping along as best they can...
Sorry if this upsets some but that's how I feel... lay ahull and let it pass until you can function again... and don't come the crap about laying ahull it works just fine...
if you've never done it... you don't know... its just noisy and uncomfortable as hell.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 05-07-2013, 19:09   #386

Boat: John Pugh Windsong sloop 38ft

Our thoughts are with the friends and family of Nina, and hopes are with the crew.
Old 05-07-2013, 20:57   #387

I've held my opinions and thoughts until now, they wouldn't have been very useful. But now I want to post my prayers, and good wishes.

Godspeed, Nina and crew. Strength and hope for her family and friends. And a special prayer that all be found safe quickly.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:25   #388

Boat: Dufour 35

From RCC NZ site
Quote:
26 June
A radar search was completed of 324,000 square nautical miles between northern New Zealand and the Australian coast, based on the vessel suffering damage but continuing to make progress towards Australia.
Quote:
4 July
The RNZAF P3 Orion conducted a radar search of an area of 120,745 square nautical miles extending as far west as the Middleton and Elizabeth reefs in the Tasman Sea.
So there have been two radar searches covering the Middleton and Elizabeth Reefs. What about a visual inspection of these reefs? I have not seen any confirmation that this has happened. Anyone with info?
Any RCC AUS activity?
Both these reefs have easily accessible ,marginally safe, anchorages.

Thomas
Old 06-07-2013, 07:10   #389

Good morning everyone-

I guess I don't need to remind anyone on this site about the Nina--you folks are awesome. Back here in Ohio, I have friends and family that think I am far, far too optimistic. But my cousin Dave is no stranger to very dangerous conditions and situations. His dad had a salvage company on Lake Erie and he apprenticed with him at a very young age. My brother told me that Davy did work down in New Orleans after Katrina and he was paid an extra 1K for jobs due to the danger posed. Davy's expertise and judgement are second to none. I understand the sea is unforgiving and may have prevailed this time but I have so much confidence in his abilities. Also, I'm certain the others on board have a lot to bring to the table.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:57   #390

Thank you all. We are holding out hope still! Information still coming in and RCC more than willing to jump back in with new info!

Keep calling her and looking for her if in that area.

Cherie
Closed Thread