Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-08-2013, 15:55   #781
cruiser

Boat: 1987 Tayana 37
Re: Schooner Nina - MERGED 3 THREADS

Let's stay focused on finding solutions rather than burning volunteers.

We know the yacht survived the two storms because a text message was sent afterwards. There is no point in criticizing RCS NZ, they didn't find the boat.

There is no evidence the boat sank. Heavy weather alone is not evidence.

IF the crew is still out there, and NO ONE KNOWS, then, what would they want all of us to do? If it was you, what would you want us to do?

Lets see if we can help find a solution to this problem and work together.

I have great faith in the efforts being put forth by "those guys', they have new information which they developed from hard work. Can we support them in their efforts?

Tim
Old 05-08-2013, 16:20   #782

Tim, TES fundraising needs to find another venue.

CF knows this is for crowd source for information not fundraising and I agree.

Cherie
Old 05-08-2013, 16:30   #783

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

How much cost send a SAR to the midle of the south pacific Tim?
Old 05-08-2013, 16:34   #784

If there is any chance of finding NINA then you (we) need as many eyes open as possible . This means airlines that are flying in that area, large vessels that are on route in that area and lastly all small boats ( cruisers ). Personally know of a USAF pilot that says he regularly gets 121.5 signals which he always reports. I can't contact him at the moment, but has anyone considered. A U2 flight over the search area? The state department might be able to help there.
Looking at the tidal and wind pilots I personally think there is a strong likelihood they are now south in the Antarctic current. I really don't mean to be a pessimist, but my years just makes me that way.
Good luck NINA
Old 05-08-2013, 19:16   #785

Quote:
Originally Posted by la vida nueva View Post
Let's stay focused on finding solutions rather than burning volunteers.

We know the yacht survived the two storms because a text message was sent afterwards. There is no point in criticizing RCS NZ, they didn't find the boat.

There is no evidence the boat sank. Heavy weather alone is not evidence.

IF the crew is still out there, and NO ONE KNOWS, then, what would they want all of us to do? If it was you, what would you want us to do?

Lets see if we can help find a solution to this problem and work together.

I have great faith in the efforts being put forth by "those guys', they have new information which they developed from hard work. Can we support them in their efforts?

Tim
Tim,you have now been asked politely to STOP trying to fund raise,if you do not desist I will report you to the relevant boys(get my drift)

Bazzer, sorry mate but do you realise how much such a flight costs,plus the inter border technicalities involved,

at best the main hope is an all shipping alert,which no doubt has been done,is the main chance of resolving this situation
Old 05-08-2013, 19:54   #786
cruiser

Shheeehsh.. I am not trying to fundraise! I got my wrist slapped and deserved it. Should have read the rules. Could you please stop with the attacks?

My suggestion is, let's quit flaming each other, there is another thread for that.

There is a concerted effort going on to save these great people. I support that effort. It is complicated as all heck and could pave the way for some new thinking on search and rescue.

While I think every sailor is wise to be prepared to extricate himself from the worst circumstances, I also think SAR owes people who have made the contributions to society these sailors made a better shot at it. The Dyche Family represents the cruising life and the renovation of an American race horse; Evi Nemeth represents the best a grandmother can be, and she is to many sailors; This is in addition to being a computer genius; Kyle Jackson is an avid outdoorsman and survivalist; Matthew Wootton has a wonderful take on keeping the world human populated instead of destroying the planet; Danielle Wright is so talented, she could choose any one of a million paths, yet so young.

Don't they deserve a second look? The best people to do that are the authorities.

Tim
Old 05-08-2013, 20:40   #787

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

With Talent like that on Board,

Very Capable people,

If the boat is still afloat, Even with out sails, They will be in full survival mode,

Epirb, Not necessary yet,
Old 05-08-2013, 20:50   #788
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
How much cost send a SAR to the midle of the south pacific Tim?
What are seven lives worth? One of those lives made Linux understandable to a generation of Americans. Another helped usher in the concept of clean drinking water in third world nations. Another fit with the outdoors like a glove on the hand; Another, in her youth, is beautiful outside, inside and able to show the world a beautiful side of things; three of them loved sailing and represented the US and all sailors in the love of the sea. They are the image many of us saw when we were kids and watching the Dove; except this is a family doing it.

If you spend $150,000 per person, is that too much? One of them might create the next google, or save the planet.

One of the next people to be lost a sea could you or me.
Old 05-08-2013, 20:58   #789
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Schooner Nina - MERGED 3 THREADS

Quote:
What are seven lives worth? One of those lives made Linux understandable to a generation of Americans. Another helped usher in the concept of clean drinking water in third world nations. Another fit with the outdoors like a glove on the hand; Another, in her youth, is beautiful outside, inside and able to show the world a beautiful side of things; three of them loved sailing and represented the US and all sailors in the love of the sea. They are the image many of us saw when we were kids and watching the Dove; except this is a family doing it.

If you spend $150,000 per person, is that too much? One of them might create the next google, or save the planet.

One of the next people to be lost a sea could you or me.
So your trying to raise a million bucks ...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 05-08-2013, 21:09   #790
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
So your trying to raise a million bucks ...
Sheesh... I think I said the best people to do this search is the government.

My role is to support the families, and to advocate for people who have no voice, but a lot of value.

Just out of interest, how much is your life worth? (one life) We are talking about seven.

What do they want us to do? Look for solutions? Support the quest for more information? Encourage our government to stand by these sailors? Give the family hope? Encourage unity in the search effort?

If you were sitting on this boat right now, with no solutions, drifting in currents, yep, the Rose Bonnet drifted FIVE months, and your cell phone popped on for 1 second, or your psychic energy was able to send a message, what would you ask us to do?
Old 05-08-2013, 21:19   #791
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

[QUOTE=la vida nueva;1303588]

Just out of interest, how much is your life worth? (one life) We are talking about seven.QUOTE]

At my age..? not a lot... past the age of useful contribution to Society...
Figured as you've been repeatedly posting for donations you maybe had a 'Target'... or at least done some costing to give us a better idea... just changing your tune a coupla posts back after a warning don't qualify you for sainthood...

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 05-08-2013, 21:55   #792
cruiser

Thanks for the support brother. I was asked to stay off the topic, but you guys won't let me.

Let's focus on looking for solutions. Any of us could be in this situation. I love all of you guys, even if you ride the hell out of me.

The information I have is, this boat could not be heading South as the currents run in a circular direction but mostly North and East, and sometimes North and West a little. I have seen the currrent study for this yacht, and while the study puts the Nina in a million potential places, South was not one of those options.

How about that for a topic change? Really, let's support the family that is here and the dear friends and try to find solutions.

Thnx
Old 05-08-2013, 22:15   #793

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Really Tim, stop that!! think about how big and wide is the area in question, as other posters say, Nina is in their own, if is still floating, face it man, the sea take sailors lives each year, is part of the risk, with all the respect to the familys, i really hope we have that big miracle happen... no doubt such a huge SAR operation is out of question....
Old 05-08-2013, 22:25   #794
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Thanks for the support brother. I was asked to stay off the topic, but you guys won't let me.

Let's focus on looking for solutions. Any of us could be in this situation. I love all of you guys, even if you ride the hell out of me.

The information I have is, this boat could not be heading South as the currents run in a circular direction but mostly North and East, and sometimes North and West a little. I have seen the currrent study for this yacht, and while the study puts the Nina in a million potential places, South was not one of those options.

How about that for a topic change? Really, let's support the family that is here and the dear friends and try to find solutions.

Thnx
Sorry mate... but in my experience/opinion the survival of Nina and the folk on board has always relied on them and the boat... its all very well to go on about this current and that search but... in the end it all boils down to one thing... if there was not a catastrophic hull failure and she's still afloat survival will be down to good management and foraging for food and water... and maintaining morale..
The + side is... it rains a lot so water can be gathered...
Booby's and other Ocean birds have no fear of humans so can be easily caught and used for food.... tough and disgusting to eat but nourishment none the less... likely there's rods/lines on board so fish can/may be caught to subsist and maintain energy levels...
Talk has been made about poor sails... speculation by the inexperienced... even new sails can be blown out in a gale... shoot... I've seen furled Genoa's in marina's shredded in a real blow...
If you want to keep the family's morale up... harping on about the only thing that will save them is donations to some suspect rescue base in Texas that wants their bucks is in my view taking the piss.
About time you got a dose of reality... this is not some RV broken down on the now deserted Route 66 that needs a tow truck... its a boat missing in the largest piece of water on Earth.
Sorry Cherie/Friends of Nina... but its got to be said... if they are still alive... salvation lies in their hands... and a chance sighting...

Old 05-08-2013, 23:04   #795

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Thats about it Boatman, It is up to them,

Seeing as they are survival practitioners, They would have realised their chances of a sighting in the southern ocean, Is near Zero,

As shipping does not frequent that area,

They would have prepared for a long wait and voyage, possibly months, Thats what they train for,
Survival in Extreme Conditions, And you tell me they have medals for it,

There are two main ways to look at this,

1/ If you have lived in the city and not ventured into the bush or ocean, Spent all your time on the computer.

It is impossible to do any thing about this, Throw hands in air and give up totally,
Due to no practical experience in life,

2/ The Reality side, From people who have lived dangerously and outside the square,

If they havent sank,

The people on Board are Competant, Qualified, Experienced, Aware of their circumstances

and the plight they are in, They would be very organised by now, Knowing full,

Rescue was going to be a chance hit and miss,

Im old school, Sink or swim, your on your own, These people are the same, They will save them selves,
Closed Thread