Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 21-07-2013, 20:03   #646

Boat: 55' Romsdal
Re: Schooner Nina - MERGED 3 THREADS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGatoGordo View Post
Ignore lists are wonderful things people.
Indeed. I can visually pay no attention to pretentious insensitive know-at-alls who need a crew to set sail, but it is very nice just to pretend that they don't exist at all. Which is probably what their crew thinks, as well.
Old 21-07-2013, 23:53   #647
Armchair Bucketeer

Is it really so hard to keep the mud slinging and asking unanswerable questions (to unknown persons? / self?) on the other thread?

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-107126-9.html

and there be plenty of mud on there - welcome to add some yerself .

Of course if "you" are principally looking for a reaction from friends and family of the crew the other thread not so useful...........
Old 22-07-2013, 00:28   #648
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

As moderator I have moved a whole bunch of posts to the "Let's Bash the Nina" thread.

I'm not usually this abrupt, but I really wish that some of you could show a little sensitivity. It's not your place to tell folks when to stop searching and hoping. And questions about the condition of the Nina have become tedious and unhelpful. At best.

Yes, I'm being heavy-handed. Deal with it. I apologize if I haven't caught all the offending posts. You can read all the ones I did find, they're in the other thread.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Old 22-07-2013, 04:52   #649

Update.

There is a conference call between the State Dept, US Foreign Relations, NZ Consul and several senators at 3 pm Monday EST .
Cherie
Old 22-07-2013, 15:06   #650

Update 2.

State Dept has authorized access of NGA surveillance for Evi's last message that was undelivered. It was deemed as the most accurate.

We hope to hear from US State Dept with summaries as soon as possible.

Cherie
Old 23-07-2013, 05:42   #651

First post, have been following this thread for a while now, but just felt like sharing in the hope that it may help. It took my folks about 4 1/2 weeks to make their way in under jury rig from the Ranfurly Banks off Gisbourne to Whangarei in Dad's home built wooden yacht that had already been around the world once and done some hard yards. Dad was on deck when she pitch poled, they were then rolled a few times and yet they still came home.

For every overdue boat, very few vanish entirely. You have every right to feel bitterly cheated and worse if it does happen that we never see anything of Nina again.

However your people will be able to survive out there a good long time if Nina is still floating, and she is a good sort of vessel for that job. I will be entirely delighted for you, but not particularly surprised if they emerge in the next few weeks. Best wishes!
Old 23-07-2013, 05:49   #652
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Welcome aboard SS and thanks for a very suitable first post.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 23-07-2013, 05:56   #653

Thanks slightlysalty! A roller coaster has been smoother.. Who knows maybe the ELT died and have no comm. my brother like your dad is very resourceful !

Cherie
Old 23-07-2013, 06:12   #654

I have another story for you as well. I also had a friend dismasted out of Cape Town a couple of years ago in a little fiberglass boat, and he made it into Hobart a bit late but ok under jury rig. Lost the radio aerial, so he couldn't call back, but he could hear us. His electrics were mostly shot from water and from being upside down. He wasn't very overdue though as he had good weather the rest of the way. My parents story is more relevant, as they made pathetic time, hence a ~4 day trip taking 4 1/2 weeks.

Since then I've realised that for certain types (of whom it sounds like your brother David is one - and btw this is a compliment) setting off an Epirb is only for when someone is hurt bad. Otherwise, if they are still floating, even though they likely won't have electrics, they will be making their own way even if it is under bare poles.

I know what you mean about the roller coaster though. Not knowing and not being able to actually do anything about it makes every minute last seemingly forever. The irony is it will be easier for them on the boat, as they can actually do something about their situation!
Old 23-07-2013, 06:38   #655

Thank you Slightlysalty for your words have made me feel like there is still hope.
One of the things that is really worrying me is whether the NZ Search and Rescue where searching in the right area. And of course the delay in starting the search in the first place. A lot of people who have a lot of experience seem to think that the search was not in the right area.
Old 23-07-2013, 07:24   #656

Well, like yourself, I don't have that much experience with the actual sailing, more with the sitting at home and worrying, but bluntly, I don't think a search will find them. If they are still out there, they will 'find' themselves. It is just my opinion, but it really seems it is needle in a haystack stuff when searching in the open ocean. It is definitely better than not searching though!

Sailors seem to be generally good at helping themselves, and it seems that's how most of them get out of bad situations. I don't know what the SAR success rate is, but I'd venture that it's not as good as the success rate of sailors 'rescuing' themselves. The variables are just so many that I imagine SAR really have to operate on whatever the best odds are out of a heck of a lot of different scenarios and they are looking for a very small thing in a very large amount of water. The sailors on the other hand know 100% for sure if they are still floating - albeit they may just have temporarily mislaid the location of some dry land, but there's quite a lot of that in the world, so is somewhat easier for them to find!

Keep working with SAR (and be assured they do know what they are doing, after all, they are the experts, not us forum folk) but most of all keep faith that your people have the skill, the will and the courage to keep plugging away at getting back to shore. I don't want to be guilty of promoting unreasonable hopes, but I absolutely do believe there is still some hope. As my stories illustrate, missing boats do turn up again from time to time. My heart goes out to you for all that you must be going through at this time, and I hope talking with us helps somewhat.
Old 23-07-2013, 07:37   #657

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlysalty View Post
Well, like yourself, I don't have that much experience with the actual sailing, more with the sitting at home and worrying, but bluntly, I don't think a search will find them. If they are still out there, they will 'find' themselves. It is just my opinion, but it really seems it is needle in a haystack stuff when searching in the open ocean. It is definitely better than not searching though!

Sailors seem to be generally good at helping themselves, and it seems that's how most of them get out of bad situations. I don't know what the SAR success rate is, but I'd venture that it's not as good as the success rate of sailors 'rescuing' themselves. The variables are just so many that I imagine SAR really have to operate on whatever the best odds are out of a heck of a lot of different scenarios and they are looking for a very small thing in a very large amount of water. The sailors on the other hand know 100% for sure if they are still floating - albeit they may just have temporarily mislaid the location of some dry land, but there's quite a lot of that in the world, so is somewhat easier for them to find!

Keep working with SAR (and be assured they do know what they are doing, after all, they are the experts, not us forum folk) but most of all keep faith that your people have the skill, the will and the courage to keep plugging away at getting back to shore. I don't want to be guilty of promoting unreasonable hopes, but I absolutely do believe there is still some hope. As my stories illustrate, missing boats do turn up again from time to time. My heart goes out to you for all that you must be going through at this time, and I hope talking with us helps somewhat.
Absolutely dynamite post, Salty. Thank you very much.

Ann
Old 23-07-2013, 10:05   #658

Boat: Mac 26X
SlightlySalty is my new forum hero! Well written, intelligent words of reason and hope sprinkled with reality.
Old 23-07-2013, 15:20   #659

Hi, I tried to read through most of this post, but stopped around page 15. Sorry if this has already been answered:

Was the missing text about the sails being shredded from June 4th?

Looking at the winds and weather back on June 3, 4 & 5th, it looks like their last position was right in the eye of some VERY bad, turbulent weather. And if they were bare poles and happened to have engine problems the winds would have blown them northwest a bit, on a heading of 310 just like the text said. Then the winds turned more NE/E. If the winds affected their position more than the current then they could have been blown out towards the South Pacific.

If this hasn't already been linked, you can see historical weather data at: WunderMap® | Interactive Weather Map and Radar | Weather Underground
Old 23-07-2013, 15:54   #660

By Todd Boudreaux Was the missing text about the sails being shredded from June 4th? Looking at the winds and weather back on June 3, 4 & 5th, it looks like their last assumed position was right in the eye of some VERY bad, turbulent weather. And if they were bare poles and happened to have no engine the winds would have blown them northwest a bit, on a heading of 310 just like the text said. Then the winds turned more NE/E. If the winds affected their position more than the current then they could have been blown north and then east out towards the South Pacific. If this hasn't already been linked, you can see historical weather data at: http://www.wunderground.com/wundermap/ Adjust the dates for June 3rd to June 5th and check off "Satellite" on the right to see a replay of the weather. (Play button is on the bottom left) WunderMap® | Interactive Weather Map and Radar | Weather Underground www.wunderground.com WunderMap® is an interactive weather map from Weather Underground that allows users to choose from different weather layers plotted on top of a dynamic map interface.

Cherie
Closed Thread