Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 19-07-2013, 17:14   #616
cruiser

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: medusa NY
Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"
Posts: 2,098
Re: Schooner Nina - MERGED 3 THREADS

i would say at 90 days if they did not show up consider them gone.
__________________

__________________
scoobert is offline  
Old 19-07-2013, 17:21   #617
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,649
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
i would say at 90 days if they did not show up consider them gone.
3months. !! , that's far too long , 8 weeks would be enough. Without water humans can't survive long , but of course the sea could have just taken them, that's a risk all small boat sailors take

Dave
__________________

__________________
Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! - http://smartboats.tumblr.com
goboatingnow is offline  
Old 19-07-2013, 17:22   #618
cruiser

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: medusa NY
Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"
Posts: 2,098
Re: Schooner Nina - MERGED 3 THREADS

it does rain from time to time, lol.
__________________
scoobert is offline  
Old 19-07-2013, 17:24   #619
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK/Portugal
Posts: 20,210
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Schooner Nina - MERGED 3 THREADS

Water will be the biggie.. how soon did they start rationing and have they been able to catch rain water effectively... what's the fishing like down there...
tho' I must confess I was hoping we'd find something this week with the break in the weather.. a sighting.. or even set off the EPIRB if only just to make contact and nothing else... possibly a RAS if they're limping along and still seaworthy..

Strange things happen at sea
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline  
Old 19-07-2013, 18:58   #620
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 16
Re: Schooner Nina - MERGED 3 THREADS

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
i would say at 90 days if they did not show up consider them gone.
I have been reading the thread for a long time hoping for a good outcome,sadly,(I hope I am wrong) but what we are now looking for is wreckage or bodies.
to be honest the money spent on searching may be better spent on trying to educate other sea fairing people about the importance of ais etc.if you look at the log for example of 'gone troppo' you get a good log of where the boat was last 'seen'.
again my heartfelt comiserations to the family of nina
__________________
hartcjhart is offline  
Old 19-07-2013, 19:22   #621
Registered User
 
Friend of Nina's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 211
Everyone must do what makes sense for them. Yes nice if people learn from this...remember the loved ones at home.
Cherie
__________________
Friend of Nina is offline  
Old 20-07-2013, 04:02   #622
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 40
Re: Schooner Nina - MERGED 3 THREADS

Can we keep insensitive wording such as "bodies" out of this thread please?

This isn't an episode of CSI - there are families of those on Niņa reading this thread seeking help and possible answers.

I'm sure a little tactful wording can be used whilst everyone does appreciate the possible outcomes it doesn't need be spelled out by armchair detectives does it??. t
__________________
Naamah is offline  
Old 20-07-2013, 05:53   #623
Long Range Cruiser
 
MarkJ's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Posts: 12,828
Images: 25
Re: Schooner Nina - MERGED 3 THREADS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naamah View Post
This isn't an episode of CSI - there are families of those on Niņa reading this thread seeking help and possible answers.

I'm sure a little tactful wording can be used whilst everyone does appreciate the possible outcomes it doesn't need be spelled out by armchair detectives does it??. t
I think a level of reality isnt a bad thing. If the relatives are given false optimism by people like us who know a bit about the sea they may not be able to make appropriate decisions.

By the way, we are not armchair detectives. Some of us have as much experience, or more, than the skipper involved.

To the current theme:
I doubt water would be a problem as most boats tank before any voyage. Food I do see as a problem as boats are lightly provisioned for the run to Australia as Quarantine confiscates a lot on arrival. Not too many want to waste money.

Back to the EPIRB stuff: Its a bit difficult to suggest a coincidence where all three coms systems (EPIRB, Sat Phone and Spot) all failed but the boat still floats.
Conversely, if the EPIRB survives, its more difficult to think that if the boat is afloat the skipper hasnt set it off after 6 weeks adrift even if the boat is in good condition... the 6 crew would have demanded a signal put out to reassure their relatives (there being no requirement to abandon the boat).

Given those thoughts, and NZ SAR, I fail to see theres any reasonable chance of any recovery of crew. More, I dont think there is a possible chance. If there is then the crew will get themselves out of the situation.
I dont think its armchair anything for people on this forum to approach the reality of this situation and thats that the boat is lost and the crew dead. To spend money on searches when the search area would now huge (set to the east .5knot x 45 days x 24 hours) cant possibly be a reasonable spend.


Mark
__________________
Notes on a Circumnavigation.
OurLifeAtSea.com

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline  
Old 20-07-2013, 05:58   #624
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 40
Re: Schooner Nina - MERGED 3 THREADS

I appreciate your statements Mark and knowledge.

My objection was to the term "bodies".

All of us are aware of the real possibility
__________________
Naamah is offline  
Old 20-07-2013, 06:04   #625
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe
 
Wotname's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: South of 43 S, Australia
Boat: Van DeStat Super Dogger 31'
Posts: 7,331
Re: Schooner Nina - MERGED 3 THREADS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I think a level of reality isnt a bad thing. If the relatives are given false optimism by people like us who know a bit about the sea they may not be able to make appropriate decisions.

By the way, we are not armchair detectives. Some of us have as much experience, or more, than the skipper involved.

To the current theme:
I doubt water would be a problem as most boats tank before any voyage. Food I do see as a problem as boats are lightly provisioned for the run to Australia as Quarantine confiscates a lot on arrival. Not too many want to waste money.

Back to the EPIRB stuff: Its a bit difficult to suggest a coincidence where all three coms systems (EPIRB, Sat Phone and Spot) all failed but the boat still floats.
Conversely, if the EPIRB survives, its more difficult to think that if the boat is afloat the skipper hasnt set it off after 6 weeks adrift even if the boat is in good condition... the 6 crew would have demanded a signal put out to reassure their relatives (there being no requirement to abandon the boat).

Given those thoughts, and NZ SAR, I fail to see theres any reasonable chance of any recovery of crew. More, I dont think there is a possible chance. If there is then the crew will get themselves out of the situation.
I dont think its armchair anything for people on this forum to approach the reality of this situation and thats that the boat is lost and the crew dead. To spend money on searches when the search area would now huge (set to the east .5knot x 45 days x 24 hours) cant possibly be a reasonable spend.


Mark
I think is a fairly accurate appraisal although I feel it is still slightly possible (but very unlikely) they will drift ashore alive.
__________________
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline  
Old 20-07-2013, 06:06   #626
Armchair Bucketeer
 
David_Old_Jersey's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,013
Images: 4
Re: Schooner Nina - MERGED 3 THREADS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
To spend money on searches when the search area would now huge (set to the east .5knot x 45 days x 24 hours) cant possibly be a reasonable spend.
Whilst I don't disagree with your analysis of the situation (even if I do still harbour feint hopes) - nonetheless I do disagree with your conclusion. Some things simply need to be done, whether they make sense or not or have little or even no chance of success. In this case I would say that sending out a search (in the air and / or digital) is for some the "crawling over broken glass moment", that moment don't come around twice - and not everyone is lucky enough to even have that opportunity......

....anyway, enough maudlin from me! .
David_Old_Jersey is offline  
Old 20-07-2013, 06:26   #627
Registered User
 
Friend of Nina's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 211
Please make sure your people are stating on the donation form comment box that the monies are for the S/V Nina Search Fund. TES has some money that is most likely for the Nina search, but there was no memo. Those monies will be on hold until clarified to me Nina's. If your friends recieve the Thank You receipt from TES without that memo for nina, then they can bring that to the attention of Barbara or Ralph. Also, please send me a list of family last names and states that you think will donate. This might short cut the questions. I am sorry about the confusion. We are trying to get TES to improve that web page. They do, however, want us to get credit for our donors. Thank you,
__________________
Friend of Nina is offline  
Old 20-07-2013, 07:34   #628
Registered User
 
Bluewaters2812's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Cruising
Boat: Not a Beneteau!
Posts: 911
Images: 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812
Re: Schooner Nina - MERGED 3 THREADS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naamah View Post
Can we keep insensitive wording such as "bodies" out of this thread please?

This isn't an episode of CSI - there are families of those on Niņa reading this thread seeking help and possible answers.

I'm sure a little tactful wording can be used whilst everyone does appreciate the possible outcomes it doesn't need be spelled out by armchair detectives does it??. t
I agree. It serves no purpose whatsoever. When it has gone past the world record of about 117 days plus some then perhaps we can "learn" from it.
__________________
Bluewaters2812 is offline  
Old 20-07-2013, 17:25   #629
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 40
Re: Schooner Nina - MERGED 3 THREADS

Clearly I have offended by the sarcasm there. When my grand father was lost at sea granted I was only young but to me he wasn't just a body. He was my inspiration to follow my career path with the Navy.
I shall post no more.
Strength to the families involved in this and I wish all good luck on their journeys on land and sea.
__________________
Naamah is offline  
Old 20-07-2013, 17:54   #630
Registered User
 
Friend of Nina's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 211
Naamah,


You don't have to leave. Sorry for your loss and its just tough for some of us. Glad you went to the Navy..it would have made your Grandfather proud!

Sincerely, Cherie
__________________

__________________
Friend of Nina is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Merged Threads: HMS Bounty Mark1977 Cruising News & Events 571 01-08-2013 14:08
Stripped Threads on Mast voxxmd Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting 51 25-04-2013 08:37
Merged Threads: Cruising Madeira brine Atlantic & the Caribbean 14 19-12-2012 03:23
OpenCPN Beta Version 3.1.814 Released bdbcat OpenCPN 185 14-09-2012 08:43
Top 10 Cat Manufacturers Sand crab Multihull Sailboats 46 12-09-2012 00:49



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:10.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.