Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2012, 10:51   #31
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 38
Re: Sausalito to the Gulf of Thailand

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
a hand line,trolling behind the boat with a plastic squid,small weight and double hook.

hand line made up from about 40m polyester rope then 20 m 100kg fishing line,with an elastic shock absorber just before the whole lot joins to the boat.

good for tuna,wahoo,dorado,barracuda.

inside the lagoon,25 kg line with a steel trace and silver spinner with triple hook works well.
also a good spear gun.

reef shoes and gloves for crayfish and clams at low tide.
Atoll,

How often do you catch something with that setup ?
__________________

__________________
CALFtoTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 11:16   #32
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 9,311
Images: 75
Re: Sausalito to the Gulf of Thailand

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALFtoTH View Post
Atoll,

How often do you catch something with that setup ?
it depends where you are,how rough it is.

when in light trade wind conditions doing 6 knots,i will put the line out at first light generally i will have a fish 1/2 hour later.

same thing just before sunset.

with the onset of bad weather and stronger winds,generally catch something
then nothing for days till it calms down again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1938.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	432.8 KB
ID:	39668   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2058.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	459.8 KB
ID:	39669  

__________________

__________________
my catamaran building project updates http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...36#post2502136
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 17:08   #33
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 38
Re: Sausalito to the Gulf of Thailand

Hey Atoll, Those look good! Do you put those on the grill? or turn them into Sashimi? Can't wait to get some shellfish on the reef.

When bathing on long hauls. Just stop, then, Dive in? Always wondered if sharks follow the boat, or is that just a myth? Also, If you run into a problem, can the coast guard come and pick you up? Or are they week or 2 away generally? How often do you see other boats out there?
__________________
CALFtoTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 17:42   #34
Registered User
 
SimonV's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Brisbane, Australia.
Posts: 1,316
Re: Sausalito to the Gulf of Thailand

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALFtoTH View Post
Hey Atoll, Those look good! Do you put those on the grill? or turn them into Sashimi? Can't wait to get some shellfish on the reef.

When bathing on long hauls. Just stop, then, Dive in? Always wondered if sharks follow the boat, or is that just a myth? Also, If you run into a problem, can the coast guard come and pick you up? Or are they week or 2 away generally? How often do you see other boats out there?
This whole thread is starting to sound a lot like a wind up.
__________________
Simon

https://svgoodonya.blogspot.com.au/
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 18:00   #35
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 9,311
Images: 75
Re: Sausalito to the Gulf of Thailand

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
This whole thread is starting to sound a lot like a wind up.
ah well !
after i finished pulling the engine out of my little boat today,
then measured up the new engine beds,
there wasn't much else to do on a sunday...................
__________________
my catamaran building project updates http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...36#post2502136
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 18:08   #36
DoÖ or do not
 
s/v Jedi's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: in paradise
Boat: Sundeer 64
Posts: 9,198
Re: Sausalito to the Gulf of Thailand

My brother just bought the Secret garden Beach Resort at Big Bhudda Beach @ Koh Samui. Go for a drink and tell him hi from me

ciao!
Nick.
__________________
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 18:20   #37
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 9,311
Images: 75
Re: Sausalito to the Gulf of Thailand

breakfast of champions
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2068.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	411.3 KB
ID:	39687  
__________________
my catamaran building project updates http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...36#post2502136
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 20:07   #38
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 38
Re: Sausalito to the Gulf of Thailand

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
My brother just bought the Secret garden Beach Resort at Big Bhudda Beach @ Koh Samui. Go for a drink and tell him hi from me

ciao!
Nick.
My kids love to play there!
__________________
CALFtoTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 20:09   #39
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 38
Re: Sausalito to the Gulf of Thailand

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
breakfast of champions
That looks good Atoll. Boy does that look good
__________________
CALFtoTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:59   #40
CF Adviser
 
Pelagic's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2007
Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Posts: 6,891
Re: Sausalito to the Gulf of Thailand

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALFtoTH View Post
Ok. I can block out more time. On trip like that. What % do you motor vs. sail?

Thanks

I have made this trip 3 times and it is an easy downwind slide once you clear the mainland if you learn how to monitor local weather developments and not be forced into a rush.

Sounds like you are pretty new to the blue water side so a few suggestions and markers if you are going to make this trip, (or for others considering it).

You will be cruising past some of the best un-spoilt atolls in the world in the Marshalls Islands and Micronesia, so donít be in such a hurry to pass by this once in a lifetime opportunity. Allow about 8 months.

Hawaii would be your last chance to take stock of your performance from the US mainland and re-stock marine supplies for the big leg, so take advantage of that

Typhoon season in the Philippines is late June to November with the first ones usually tracking and re-curving high towards Japan before reaching the Philippines.

Below North 10 degrees, you are generally safe from Typhoons

Looking at the map:
Plan arrival Hawaii by September allowing a month there for contingencies.
Complete your blue sector to Palau by March when the stronger NE Monsoonal winds have eased off making approaches to the Philippines much nicer.
Enjoy the Philippines Islands during its best season, then your final leg towards Thailand while you still have NE winds to take you there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SF to Thai em.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	418.9 KB
ID:	39706  
__________________
Pelagic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:22   #41
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 9,311
Images: 75
Re: Sausalito to the Gulf of Thailand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
I have made this trip 3 times and it is an easy downwind slide once you clear the mainland if you learn how to monitor local weather developments and not be forced into a rush.

Sounds like you are pretty new to the blue water side so a few suggestions and markers if you are going to make this trip, (or for others considering it).

You will be cruising past some of the best un-spoilt atolls in the world in the Marshalls Islands and Micronesia, so donít be in such a hurry to pass by this once in a lifetime opportunity. Allow about 8 months.

Hawaii would be your last chance to take stock of your performance from the US mainland and re-stock marine supplies for the big leg, so take advantage of that

Typhoon season in the Philippines is late June to November with the first ones usually tracking and re-curving high towards Japan before reaching the Philippines.

Below North 10 degrees, you are generally safe from Typhoons

Looking at the map:
Plan arrival Hawaii by September allowing a month there for contingencies.
Complete your blue sector to Palau by March when the stronger NE Monsoonal winds have eased off making approaches to the Philippines much nicer.
Enjoy the Philippines Islands during its best season, then your final leg towards Thailand while you still have NE winds to take you there.
if i was doing this trip again,and had no time constaints i would head down to christmas island,fanning and washinton atoll's,before continuing on to the phoenix group,kiribati and marshalls.
__________________
my catamaran building project updates http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...36#post2502136
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:57   #42
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 38
Re: Sausalito to the Gulf of Thailand

I have made this trip 3 times and it is an easy downwind slide once you clear the mainland if you learn how to monitor local weather developments and not be forced into a rush.

Thanks for all the advise. What system did you have to follow the weather as you were going along on that route? The Internet ?

Do you end up in a groups, like the Mexico trips?

Thanks again.. Nice to meet you
__________________
CALFtoTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:00   #43
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 38
Re: Sausalito to the Gulf of Thailand

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
if i was doing this trip again,and had no time constaints i would head down to christmas island,fanning and washinton atoll's,before continuing on to the phoenix group,kiribati and marshalls.
I will not beable to do that this trip. maybe the next one.
__________________
CALFtoTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 19:13   #44
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 38
Re: Sausalito to the Gulf of Thailand

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
breakfast of champions
Atoll, What system did you have to follow the weather as you were going along on that route? The Internet ?

Do you end up in a groups, like the Mexico trips?

Thanks Atoll
__________________
CALFtoTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:47   #45
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 9,311
Images: 75
Re: Sausalito to the Gulf of Thailand

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALFtoTH View Post
Atoll, What system did you have to follow the weather as you were going along on that route? The Internet ?

Do you end up in a groups, like the Mexico trips?

Thanks Atoll
we use a ssb reciever to listen to weather/cruiser nets.

also jvcomm32 to get wx fax charts on the laptop.

look at the sky for cirrus clouds,and barometric pressure.

crossing on that route,generally only about 4 yachts a year do it after hawaii,so you will be on your own.

the only shipping you might see is japanese long liners.
__________________

__________________
my catamaran building project updates http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...36#post2502136
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
Thailand

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How Old Does a Boat Need to be for Tanbark Sails? Cal_Pir8 General Sailing Forum 39 28-04-2012 18:21
Dual Rudder Servo Pendulum Windvane self steering charliehows Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy 18 16-04-2012 10:55
Hello, Nice to Meet you all ! CALFtoTH Meets & Greets 7 14-04-2012 21:47
Sausalito to the Gulf of Thailand CALFtoTH General Sailing Forum 3 07-04-2012 06:19
How to Refurb Governor Without Removing It? Shanaly Engines and Propulsion Systems 0 07-04-2012 01:29



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 22:01.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.