Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2016, 10:50   #1

Boat: Jeanneau SO50DS
Sardinia to Greece

Hi All,

We are sailing through the Med from Mallorca to Turkey. We left Mallorca on 30/4 and have taken the long route via Ibiza, Denia, Valencia, Barcelona, etc, along to the South of France and over to Corsica. Currently located in Sardinia where we are being joined by family members for some local sailing before we head further East. I'm debating whether to head direct to Sicily or cross to mainland Italy (Rome/Naples) and hop down the coast.

Any views or experiences on which route is best (speed is not an issue we have the time)?

Any good tips/recommendations on stop off points along the Italian or Sicilian coasts would be appreciated?
Stoney01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2016, 14:19   #2

Boat: Comet 41s
Re: Sardinia to Greece

Anchoring on Italian main coast is tricky due to variable winds and very difficult weather prevision with a high degree of inaccuracy. That means that you have to be ready to sail away if the wind changes at the middle of the night.

Some favorite places with different near by anchorages sheltered from all winds (or almost): Island of Ponza, Capo Palinuro, Islands of Vulcano/Lipari, Oliveti on North Sicily, Taormina (Sicily), Siracusa (Sicily), Soverato (South of Italy), Santa Maria de Leuca (South of Italy).

On Greece there are so many anchorages that it makes no sense to name them.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2016, 23:44   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
Anchoring on Italian main coast is tricky due to variable winds and very difficult weather prevision with a high degree of inaccuracy. That means that you have to be ready to sail away if the wind changes at the middle of the night.

Some favorite places with different near by anchorages sheltered from all winds (or almost): Island of Ponza, Capo Palinuro, Islands of Vulcano/Lipari, Oliveti on North Sicily, Taormina (Sicily), Siracusa (Sicily), Soverato (South of Italy), Santa Maria de Leuca (South of Italy).

On Greece there are so many anchorages that it makes no sense to name them.
Thanks for the quick and informative response.

Original plans were to head to the NW corner of Sicily from the Cagliari area of Sardinia. Visit Palermo, Lipari, then onto Riposta, before making a direct crossing to Kefalonia. Latest thoughts are to still head to Sicily or alternatively across to W coast of Italy, then hop around the foot/heel of Italy up to Corfu, then onwards hopping through the various Greek Islands as weather and mood dictates :-)

We've got a couple of weeks to finalise the next section of our travels, hence seeking the thoughts and views of forum members :-)
Old 18-06-2016, 00:41   #4

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

It seems to be something of a question where you want to leave the boat for the winter. We left Tunisia after our crossing in 2013 and sailed the Spanish coast, Balerics and down to Sardinia before wintering over in Tunisia.
Our next year we did Sardinia up to Corsica across to Rome down the coast to Eastern Sicily before heading across the boot to Albania, Montenegro, Croatia, Venice and then a quick trip down the coast to Malta and back to Tunisia for another winter.

So where will the boat be for winter may determine your route. And yes there are not a lot of anchorages on the Italian coast but the sights are simply wonderful.
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2016, 01:05   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
It seems to be something of a question where you want to leave the boat for the winter. We left Tunisia after our crossing in 2013 and sailed the Spanish coast, Balerics and down to Sardinia before wintering over in Tunisia.
Our next year we did Sardinia up to Corsica across to Rome down the coast to Eastern Sicily before heading across the boot to Albania, Montenegro, Croatia, Venice and then a quick trip down the coast to Malta and back to Tunisia for another winter.

So where will the boat be for winter may determine your route. And yes there are not a lot of anchorages on the Italian coast but the sights are simply wonderful.
Thanks for the response. We haven't yet confirmed where we will winter but either Turkey (Marmaris/Kas) or maybe somewhere in Greece. We spent the winter in Mallorca. We have friends with a home in a village a few miles from Naples, who will be there in early July, hence considering heading to the mainland and routing down the W coast. Did you stop off anywhere along the 'Boot'?
Old 18-06-2016, 01:51   #6
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney01 View Post
Hi All,

We are sailing through the Med from Mallorca to Turkey. We left Mallorca on 30/4 and have taken the long route via Ibiza, Denia, Valencia, Barcelona, etc, along to the South of France and over to Corsica. Currently located in Sardinia where we are being joined by family members for some local sailing before we head further East. I'm debating whether to head direct to Sicily or cross to mainland Italy (Rome/Naples) and hop down the coast.

Any views or experiences on which route is best (speed is not an issue we have the time)?

Any good tips/recommendations on stop off points along the Italian or Sicilian coasts would be appreciated?
Hey,

You disappeared the other day, I returned to the anchorage from shopping and poof! You were gone.

Mrs, Mac and I are now in Ponza, just off the Italian mainland. I recommend heading over here to see Ponza, Capri, Pompeii, Herculaneum, Sorrento, the Amalfi coast etc. on your way down to see a few Islands off Sicily.

Ken
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2016, 02:05   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Hey,

You disappeared the other day, I returned to the anchorage from shopping and poof! You were gone.

Mrs, Mac and I are now in Ponza, just off the Italian mainland. I recommend heading over here to see Ponza, Capri, Pompeii, Herculaneum, Sorrento, the Amalfi coast etc. on your way down to see a few Islands off Sicily.

Ken
Hi Ken,
lol :-)

Sorry about the quick departure, our guests were eager to get going, so we headed down to Tavolara and then into the bay at Taverna to shelter from the winds for the night.

Sounds like a good idea (after all our visitors head home), we are moving more towards heading to the mainland and working down the coast then heading over to the Lipari Islands before going through the Messina Strait. I'll drop you an email (only got some internet last night!)

Cheers

Rob
Old 18-06-2016, 02:14   #8
cruiser

Rob,

I'll be somewhere between Ponza and Sorrento until July 8. It took 22 hours to get here, calm seas, no wind on Friday, so we motored for the first 15 hours at 7 knots. The wind finally picked up around 4am so we sailing the last five hours or so. It was nice to finally use our new mainsail.

Ken
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	432.5 KB
ID:	126391   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	155
Size:	273.1 KB
ID:	126392  

Old 18-06-2016, 02:31   #9

Quote:
Rob,

I'll be somewhere between Ponza and Sorrento until July 8. It took 22 hours to get here, calm seas, no wind on Friday, so we motored for the first 15 hours at 7 knots. The wind finally picked up around 4am so we sailing the last five hours or so. It was nice to finally use our new mainsail.

Ken
Good to hear you got there safely.

We had plenty of wind overnight. As we made the crossing to Taverna, we were getting gusts over 30 and in the anchorage it was 20-25 kts but the sea was flat as it was coming off the beach.

Glad the new mainsail is getting a workout :-)

I need to take a good look at potential anchorages and marinas along the W coast
as this is looking our more likely route, especially as I'm hearing a few negatives comments about issues in Sicily (mainly in the S)
Old 18-06-2016, 02:38   #10
cruiser

We reserved four nights at Marina di Stabia, 2-5km from Pomeii and Herculanium for sightseeing and airport runs. Will also book a day or two someplace downdown Sorrento. Otherwise, I'll be anchored off Capri or over here in Ponza.

Here's todays view:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	428.2 KB
ID:	126393  
Old 18-06-2016, 02:48   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
We reserved four nights at Marina di Stabia, 2-5km from Pomeii and Herculanium for sightseeing and airport runs. Will also book a day or two someplace downdown Sorrento. Otherwise, I'll be anchored off Capri or over here in Ponza.

Here's todays view:
what camera are you using Ken?
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2016, 02:53   #12

Quote:

Here's todays view:
Looks very nice. We spent the night in Puntaldia and heading down to La Valetta today. Did you anchor on E side of Ponza?

Can you still anchor off Capri, I thought this had been stopped??

The train is pretty good to get to Naples, Pompei and Sorento, etc.
Old 18-06-2016, 02:56   #13

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

Hi Ken,
I was wondering if you were already in Ponza this morning.
See you had a great trip.
Enjoy Ponza, Marion and me love the place.
Do visit Pompei on a cloudy day if possible, it can be suffocating hot.

Robert

Envoyé de mon iPad à l'aide de Cruisers Sailing Forum
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2016, 03:00   #14

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

When I was in Capri in 2014 you could anchor on the south side, where the famous rock pass through is.
There were litterally a hundred boats anchored there.
I think you can still anchor there, if they cancelled this area I think you wil get another uprising in Italy.

Envoyé de mon iPad à l'aide de Cruisers Sailing Forum
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2016, 05:11   #15
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
what camera are you using Ken?
Ipad camera while boat was rocking. The Hasselblad comes out later today.

Tags
Greece