Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2012, 15:38   #1

Samsung Galexy or Apple iPad

We are about to embrace new technology and have been looking at iPads and Samsung Galexys for not only communication but zalso for the navigation GPS chartplotter they offer. Does anyone have an opinion on either of these. I seem to know a number of cruisers using the iPad but none using the Galexy. Any thoughts?
goneyachting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2012, 16:38   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Samsung Galexy or Apple iPad

Ipad has better nav apps.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2012, 16:43   #3

Right now it's hard to beat Apple "anything". I just got rid of my last gen Galaxy Pad, and it was anice unit, but my grandkids could automobile navigate better and faster than I could with their Iphones!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2012, 17:00   #4

Boat: 1914 Fantail M.Y. "Strathbelle"
http://www.inavx.com/

On an iPad.

------

Gene :^)
http://www.Strathbelle.com/

1914 Fantail Motor Yacht of Riveted Iron & Steel
https://www.Strathbelle.com
Gene :^) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2012, 17:02   #5

I recently bought an android tablet with the same purpose as you have in mind: to explore the new technology with a particular view to navigation applications.

Overall, I am very impressed.

I have Navionics (Australia and Asia version), the charts are pretty similar in coverage and detail as my CMap products on laptop, the navigation features in the Navionics package are basic, but adequate. I regard the android as backup, many use it as primary....it is so handy. Navionics is available for both android and iPad.

I also have MxMariner, see separate thread in tyhis forum for discussion of its development, available only for android. This comes available with the free charts for Us, Brazil, NZ, etc. For me in Aus/Asia, I run my scanned in paper charts on it. The author of MxMariner continues development and is scheduled to include a facility to handle CM93 charts, which will make it equivalent to Navionics. The navigation features in MxMariner, current and scheduled for the future, are superior to navionics. I think MxMariner will turn out the better package for me, if the developer keeps things going.

SEAiQ has good reports, currently only available for iPad, android release scheduled.

A poster here likes Galaxy + OruxMaps, see separate thread.

Memory map is liked by some, I don't like it, too oriented to land use for me.

OziExplorer is also available for android, haven't tried it.

Apart from backup navigation, the main use of my android is as a repeater screen to my laptop, which is running my main Nav software...SOB and OPENcpn. the android is connected to the laptop by wifi (Connectify software), and the laptop display is repeated on the android by Air Display package. The touchscreen of the android is used to control the laptop. The beauty of this arrangement is the laptop is secure down below, the android is at hand topsides, protected by an Aqua Pac bag. Very impressed.

The android has lots of other uses, of course. And it is far handier for travel from the boat than a laptop.

As for the question of Android vs iPad ....thats a debate like which anchor is best. I wont get into that. I just say that a tablet of whichever genre will be a very useful addition to your bag of tools. And make sure to get an AquaPac or similar for work in the cockpit, and the tablet should have inbuilt GPS, and preferably 3G (not sure about that in US).

Oh, I do not have a Galaxy. Have a Lenovo K1, got it for $100 sh, as my initial foray into the world of tablets.

Lee
banjoship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2012, 17:12   #6

The Samsung Nexus 7 is much cheaper than an iPad especially if you want gps (you must get the 3g version of the iPad if you want built in gps). The Nexus does have a smaller screen, though. IOS arguably does have better versions of useful software and should continue to be superior. If I were you I would purchase the Apple iPad 2 WIFI and then purchase the Garmin GLO as your GPS since the gps in these tablets are low power.
Garmin GLO Portable GPS and GLONASS Receiver Brings High-Integrity GPS Capability to Mobile Devices
jostalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2012, 17:23   #7

Thank you for all the help everyone. Keep them coming!
goneyachting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2012, 17:37   #8

Boat: Liberty 458
If you're happy to do things Apple's way and aren't interested in the technology the choose an iPad.

If you want to optimize and are happy to play with the technology then choose an android product.

My wife and I use both android and Apple products in both our consulting business and for our sailing technology needs. We are finding Apple products inflexible and updates can cause problems.
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2012, 18:11   #9

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Can you make phonecalls on the iTard yet?

Old 30-08-2012, 18:13   #10

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftbrainstuff View Post
If you're happy to do things Apple's way and aren't interested in the technology the choose an iPad.

If you want to optimize and are happy to play with the technology then choose an android product.
+1
Old 30-08-2012, 18:23   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

If you want plug and play out of the box now go iPad.

If you want to wait Galaxy may catch up. A few guys at the club are Ga;axy (whatever) phone users. I am impressed with the bigger screen vis-a-vis iPhone but the huge variety and availability of apps isn't there quite yet.

For me if I wanted now I would research the Galaxy apps and make sure the ones I need now are available and wait for ones I "want" to show up.

I am somewhat committed to the Apple drug having jumped over 2 years ago. Not sure what I would do today...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2012, 23:23   #12

Boat: 56' Sundeer

We have both an iPad and galaxy on board and we use the iPad for almost everything. The GPS works great with the inavx app (make sure you get a 3G version of the iPad as the wifi ones don't have GPS). iPad has almost totally replaced our laptop / chart plotter for nav except on long passages. Maps with me is great for exploring on land and is free.
TamariskRTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 21:41   #13

Boat: Sinek, Pilothouse, 43ft
We use our iPad for navigation and its excellent. You can't beat Apple apps, including Navionics.
SV Maclas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 22:35   #14

Boat: Hunter 50 CC

We have a 1st gen iPad, a Galaxy 10.1 and a 3rd gen iPad. The Galaxy 10.1 just doesn't get used. I wanted to like it more but we use the iPads.
Lucky Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 00:15   #15

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
You have another set of possible choices. Combo tablet / call phones.

The LG Intuitive has a 5" screen and is just out on the verizon network. AT&T also has these new devices.

Pick ours up Monday. Going away from iPhones. Loved the apple products but with the larger screen and newer and more flexible technologies, hope to love this new offering more.

Tags
Ipad