Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2012, 16:43   #31

Boat: Cal 2-27
Re: Samsung Galexy or Apple iPad

I'm on my android nexus 7 right now. Love it.
Mx mariner and navionics

I have an I pad too and prefer the android
Old 21-10-2012, 17:04   #32

Boat: Seafarer 38
The iPad is a sturdy tablet with great water resistant case options, it has the best software support out there (are there any year and a half year old tablets running the latest version of Android?).

Best of luck with your choice, but really this is an easy one in my view.
engele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2012, 01:57   #33

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
I have been an iPhone / iPad user from almost day one. My iPad was one of the first ones delivered in the states, on a Saturday. I preordered it at the stroke of midnight. I have over 500 apps is use all the time, mostly for art. Also into all the sailing apps, gps, weather, maps, wind. Love it.

My iPhone is a straight 4, we sat out the 4s and the almost larger (is one app icon taller, really an achievement???). We sat that out also. We went with an LG Intuitive.

5" screen android. I have about 100 apps on the android. Stuff I use all the time, just is not on android. Clipish, BlurFX, are two art programs I miss. Several sailing apps nowhere to be found on the android.

This site is easier to navigate on the iPad, over the android tablet. Wish to edit a post, and add or change a photo?, not on the android app. The Apple app will let you add or change a photo. So will your standard browser.

Our 14 day trial is over today, and we are keeping the androids. Some of what they can do, is amazing. I love the extra size that fits in your pocket.

The best of both worlds seems to be the phone / tablet combo android in my pocket, and my wifi iPad, and iPhone that I still use for apps, or larger size (iPad) when I want to. Doing this post on the iPad. Such a wonderful device. Sturdy, strong, large, yet not cumbersome like a laptop would be, without a table. Doing this post in the whirlpool tub.

If it boils down to apps, the Apple products have all the other platforms beat 10 to 1, no kidding. Not even close. I can't find one single app for the android that I can honestly say, I wish Apple had that one. Not one.

On October 23rd, Apple announces a slightly smaller iPad. This one can be ordered with a built in cellphone.
Old 22-10-2012, 05:27   #34
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Silverton 33' "First Noel"

I have used the iPad for the past 2 years with navionics charts and have liked the improvemnet with iPad features. The nav APP also has added an in app purchase called nav module. I think I aid $5 for the feature. gives headings in the route. My friends have Galaxey and that feature is not there yet. If you do purchase a iPad with out 3G you can always add GPS through a add on device call Bad elf (now Blue tooth).
JNoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2012, 06:38   #35

My answer would be a little biased but I physically HATE anything Android, I have many MANY years of usage of all different operating systems after being a store manager for the largest (or at least one of the largest) telecommunications company in the UK.

I would pick an iPad all year long, and to save money I'd actually stick with the iPad 2 and not the New iPad, the minimal extra features don't explain the extra expense.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
NYCSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2012, 07:29   #36

Boat: 33ft sloop

I just have bought a Lenovo 64GB WiFi 3G complete with docking station and keyboard.

The hardware is ok, now the software.

I need Holland, France and the UK. Who is supplying charts for a tablet? Navionics?
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2012, 07:40   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
I haven't had a chance to abosrb or verify this but I understand the latest version of the IPad/phone OS kills the Google map app.

Seriously f$&k that...

I have jumped in a cab in Mumbai, searched for my hotel, asked for turn by turn directions and have never been failed by the current map app.

I've used it in KUL, BKK, TYO, CGK - freaking anywhere!!!!!

I frankly dont have a clue how they keep all the streets in the whole world up to date, but I dont care. The new OS could pleasure me severely but wihout the Google map, screw it...

Why do they always mess with success...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2012, 07:43   #38

just sayin...I have both and don't take my ipad out anymore! on the boat or in the office it's my android devices.

most users have 1 over the other and love that one. I have both and dont use one. to me, that says something.
Old 22-10-2012, 07:57   #39

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

At a cruising seminar last weekend in Aus.

Half of the group had ipads setup with nav programs. Nobody had Droids.

Tells a story.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2012, 07:59   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
At a cruising seminar last weekend in Aus.

Half of the group had ipads setup with nav programs. Nobody had Droids.

Tells a story.
most people carry a lot of credit card debt, but that does not mean it is the way to go
Old 22-10-2012, 08:13   #41

Boat: 33ft sloop

Google got apps (MX Mariner) and Navionics (although bad reviews) too.

It is just a support for the paper charts. Which I will use anyway for serious navigation.

Strange thing is they offer Europe excluding NL and UK. Strange way of thinking.
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2012, 08:15   #42

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatsail View Post
most people carry a lot of credit card debt, but that does not mean it is the way to go
I doubt any of those were funded by debt. Point is many serious cruisers are using them a a very practical tool today.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2012, 08:21   #43

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif
I haven't had a chance to abosrb or verify this but I understand the latest version of the IPad/phone OS kills the Google map app.

Seriously f$&k that...

I have jumped in a cab in Mumbai, searched for my hotel, asked for turn by turn directions and have never been failed by the current map app.

I've used it in KUL, BKK, TYO, CGK - freaking anywhere!!!!!

I frankly dont have a clue how they keep all the streets in the whole world up to date, but I dont care. The new OS could pleasure me severely but wihout the Google map, screw it...

Why do they always mess with success...
As a supported app, Google maps is gone from new updates. The browser still supports Google maps.

The new replacement by TomTom sucks. IMHO. I like mapquest. That app is free at the app store. It gives verbal turn by turn directions.

You are correct. apple goofed up looking Google maps.
Old 23-10-2012, 03:38   #44

Boat: Van De Stadt Excalibur 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812

What I would like to know is why use these galaxies or Ipads when a laptop will do it all if not more? I have yet to take to Ipads etc?
Bluewaters2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2012, 04:05   #45

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewaters2812 View Post
What I would like to know is why use these galaxies or Ipads when a laptop will do it all if not more? I have yet to take to Ipads etc?
Tablets are more mobile: lighter, easier to store in the cockpit, easier to hang at the navstation and they accept wireless signal from gps, ais, instruments. They are cheaper too (well, not all of them). Tablets can be controlled without keyboard and mouse. They tend to have newer screens - better readable in the light. (Etc., etc.).

To me, a tablet is like a laptop, just easier to move about and drag along.

Not sure why anybody would buy a tablet ONLY to have nav applets there ((then again why not), but I am certain anybody who has one will love to use it for everything and anything, navigation included.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Ipad