Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 07-10-2012, 06:02   #16

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"
Re: Samsung Galexy or Apple iPad

Can anyone who uses both Android and Apple list the crucial apps that aren't available for Android?

Just curious. I'm so far an Android user, but open-minded going forward. So far I haven't felt any lack of app availability for any purpose . . . but I'd like to know what I'm missing.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:09   #17

Boat: Seawind 1000 sailing cat
I don't have an Android but I do use an iPad3 and use the Navionics and Boat Beacon (AIS) which have been excellent.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:38   #18

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Navionics and Boat Beacon both have Android versions. I haven't tried Boat Beacon but may give it a whirl . . . .
Old 07-10-2012, 06:44   #19

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9

There is a 3rd option. Wait a month and look at the windows 8 options such as surface and the other 3rd party tablets. Not only will their likely be nav apps, out of the box the pro version can run any windows apps, so any nav application that runs on windows would run on the pro tablet.

If you are a windows user, this means you have a full PC in the form of a tablet.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:13   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

I think Windows 8 tablets will not be able to compete directly with i- and Android- things: price!

b.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:17   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I think Windows 8 tablets will not be able to compete directly with i- and Android- things: price!

b.
But do they need to compete directly?

After all, the iPad and Android are limited. They only run the apps from the app store. The Windows 8 Pro tablets are full windows computers, plus the benefits of a tablet with an app store. I know I'll be getting one and will travel with that at times leaving my larger, heavier laptop at home.

And for the person only interested in a tablet and not interested in running windows apps, the Windows 8 RT tablets will be able to compete in price.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:29   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytrix View Post
But do they need to compete directly?

After all, the iPad and Android are limited. They only run the apps from the app store. The Windows 8 Pro tablets are full windows computers, plus the benefits of a tablet with an app store. I know I'll be getting one and will travel with that at times leaving my larger, heavier laptop at home.

And for the person only interested in a tablet and not interested in running windows apps, the Windows 8 RT tablets will be able to compete in price.
Yes. I think this is what will happen. Win 8 tablets will not compete directly and so Android- and i-Things will keep and enlarge their share of the market. Win 8 tablets will be marginalised in the popular sector but may gain a stronghold in the world of (?) business devices.

b.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:57   #23

Boat: Defever 43 - Gray Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormorant View Post
Can anyone who uses both Android and Apple list the crucial apps that aren't available for Android?

Just curious. I'm so far an Android user, but open-minded going forward. So far I haven't felt any lack of app availability for any purpose . . . but I'd like to know what I'm missing.
What he said X 2.

I'm a recent Android buyer and I can't imagine what app I could want that isn't already available. I think if you are prepared to drink the Apple Kool-aid then the Apple experience will be substantially different than a Windoze/Android experience. Whether it will be objectively "better" is an open question but you will believe it is better. Personally I'm really happy with my Windows machines so I had no desire to go whole Hog into the Apple world which is ultimately why I bought the Android phone. I honestly can't remember when I've been as happy with a purchase as I am with my Galaxy S3.
Old 07-10-2012, 17:03   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytrix View Post

Not to derail the tablet debate but...

If you are going windows you may as well get a laptop. I bought a pavilion g6 at best buy for $350 this summer. 4gb ram, 320 gb hdd. Cheap as chips and will obviously run any windows based program.

Open CPN is probably way better than any tablet navigator.

I do have 2 iPads - The issue for me is not the apps but the wide range of media options the iPad offers me. Movies, netflix, tv shows, music and photos. Coupled with decent email and business apps it really is a portable office for me as well.

Eventually the android stuff will catch up.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 17:37   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Not to derail the tablet debate but...

If you are going windows you may as well get a laptop. I bought a pavilion g6 at best buy for $350 this summer. 4gb ram, 320 gb hdd. Cheap as chips and will obviously run any windows based program.

Open CPN is probably way better than any tablet navigator.

I do have 2 iPads - The issue for me is not the apps but the wide range of media options the iPad offers me. Movies, netflix, tv shows, music and photos. Coupled with decent email and business apps it really is a portable office for me as well.

Eventually the android stuff will catch up.
I don't know too many people that only have a tablet and not a laptop. The benefit to a windows Pro tablet is that it is a tablet, but it also can run windows apps. So you could run Open CPN and use it with touch - may not be ideal on a touch screen, but it does work.

I think if you were to switch to a windows tablet when they are available, you'd find it can do everything the iPad can do (possibly better since you have far more options, especially with the items you mention) and also has far better business apps since it runs full windows.

I also don't think Android needs to catch up. Android will do everything you list. Some of it better because it gives you multiple options.

And as far as the question of critical android apps - there really aren't any that are missing that I've found. Even on my windows phone which has even fewer apps than android, I just fine I use websites rather than apps. It works just as well if not better in some cases. So many apps are just ports of websites, I really don't see the point.
Old 07-10-2012, 18:00   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!

The best thing that will come from tablet wars is price equilibrium - androids will get pricier and iPads will get cheaper. The functionality choice will stay the same.

To be fair Apple is quickly approaching gadget saturation. New phone and pad "features" are not a driver for a new piece of equipment for me. The next trick Apple will play (now that the visionary is gone) is to start "breaking" backwards compatibility so that next generations must be bought to access features...

Intel and Microsuck did that for decades. Eventually the bigger processor ---> hungrier software model collapsed and you can now buy a very capable laptop for $350...

I can see the dilemma if one has not tablet today but if one has 4 Apple devices then hang on to them.

I will switch when Apple breaks the model (only a matter of time - IMHO) and I need a new device.

What I would like to see continuing is seamless device integration - Things like...

- Plan a route on desktop/laptop at home, automatically transferred to all my mobile devices - even if that device is sitting on the boat or the device is connected in my car (in dash device). Plan the music and media I want to listen to on the trip and that is immediately available.

Consume an item from my fridge or pantry note it on the device in my kitchen (built into my fridge?) and have the grocery list update on my phone.

Some of it is here, some of it yet to come. It used to be much more difficult to integrate even simple things like contact lists. It's getting better and the time saving devices are actually saving much more time lately. Still a ways to go...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 18:16   #27

What I find interesting is that I think Microsoft is probably moving in that direction faster than Apple. They have a lot of integration between all their products (Windows, Xbox, Windows Phone).

What I think many people aren't aware of is that Surface has actually existed for quite some time, just in a much larger form factor. Around the same time Apple targeted consumers with the iPhone, Microsoft released a Surface table for the corporate world. It's just taken microsoft a long time to make the transition to the consumer and I think they are in a position to make it work very well.

Whether working models or not, I believe the majority of the technology shown in a show like NCIS Los Angeles is actually the surface at work. Also take a look at the youtube video by Corning - a day in glass. I believe surface is a big part of a lot of that potential technology as well.

As far as Apple breaking the model - I think their new connector has done a little of that. I also don't think its important to remain brand loyal - Apple does make it rather compelling to keep their products, but its really not that difficult to make the switch. I've gone from Apple to Android to Windows for phones and neither move was difficult. Leaving Apple was more of a pain, but only because I had music with DRM.
Old 15-10-2012, 15:31   #28

I've upgraded from iPad 1 to 2 to 3 each year and have an older Android unit just to play with. I would recommend the iPad. There is not really a lot of difference in price when you start to get towards the high end android devices and you really want a good screen.

I have also noticed some application vendors, who have been developing for both systems, start to question supporting Android because of the difficulty with variations (take a look at iRegatta's web site).

I cant think of any "customisation" that could be done on Android that I want and cant do on iOS and generally I find the user interface on iOS apps much more polished and a better experience.

Navionics, mAIS, and Pocketgrip are the main marine apps I use, but be aware of the location bug Navionics has at the moment I posted about earlier.
Old 16-10-2012, 07:26   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

My wife has an I pad , I am writing this on a nexus, and I have had a Asus pad in the past. I find that the nerdier you are the more you love Android products. My wife just got rid of her I phone for a droid, but I do not know how long that will last. :-)
BTW- I have all the nautical apps I could dream of, but that may be just the US.
Old 21-10-2012, 16:02   #30

Well, for anyone that is interested, I'll post my take on Microsoft's Surface RT tablet next weekend. I'll have mine Friday.

This is comparable to the iPad or Android in that the apps for it are only available in the Microsoft Store. The Surface Pro release (or any other Pro devices by 3rd party vendors) will run the same as the RT versions, BUT it will also run any windows App.

Pro is far more worthwhile in my opinion since it gives you the best of both worlds (apps designed for tablets as well as windows applications) and there will be many different options available as it seems lots of vendors are releasing hybrid devices that can function as a laptop with a removable screen. I think the days of needing both a laptop and tablet are approaching an end.

Quick comments I can make since I am using Windows 8 already is that clearly Apple and Android have more apps available, but having used all 3 I really don't see any apps that are critical that aren't available on windows. This is even more true if you have windows 8 pro.

Tags
Ipad

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: