Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2018, 10:37   #1

Sailing the Wando River

I'm considering re-locating to the Charleston, SC area and looking at a new community on the Wando River that offers "deep water" slips. It's just up-river of the new bridge along Rt 41 that spans the river. I currently keep the boat on the Chesapeake, south of Annapolis.

Does anyone with local knowledge have any thoughts on whether keeping a 35' sailboat (52' mast, 4.5 ft draft) at that location makes sense. From my research, it appears the new bridge, which is not yet shown in the Waterway Guide, has a 55' clearance, so getting down to Charleston Harbor seems feasible. I primarily day sail, with some overnights on the boat. I'm also wondering if sailing up-river from there is even an option. And are there other sailing destinations within about a 3 or 4 hour sail from that location. Any insights would be appreciated.
MikeDH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing