Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2015, 02:32   #121

Boat: Custom Freya 20m
Re: Sailing The Rip into Port Philip Victoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Bad luck but as said discretion is the better part of valour

I'd go directo from Low Head to Walkerville in Waratah Bay ... about 130 or so miles... an easy run if you have a commanding breeze.. so less than 24 hours... start early so you have a daylight eta. Its a good anchorage in westerlies...

Then poke on up and anchor by the big sand dune in the bight inside Woolamai ... after that just wander on up to the Heads...

I've done variations on that theme a few times but not solo....

Aargh, I hate Waratah Bay - if a change comes through, the Northerlies stop you heading to Westernport and the following SW change can be a shocker in WB which leaves you with an unhappy anchorage or a run back to the Glennies.

For me it would be San Remo or W along the Tas Coast, King Is and then the heads.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forums lily hhrn
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 02:53   #122

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillbuilding View Post
Aargh, I hate Waratah Bay - if a change comes through, the Northerlies stop you heading to Westernport and the following SW change can be a shocker in WB which leaves you with an unhappy anchorage or a run back to the Glennies.

For me it would be San Remo or W along the Tas Coast, King Is and then the heads.

The problem with King Island is that it's a long way from Grassy to the northern tip without any shelter spots. And getting caught in a Lee shore would be disastrous.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 04:22   #123

Boat: Custom Freya 20m

But most winds are N swinging to SW so just timing the run yes?

I suppose you could say the same about Waratah Bay to San Remo with even more validity.

Nothing perfect hey😃😃

stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 16:05   #124

Boat: Compass 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Well, until I know what I can do I'm not sure. But if it's going to be overnight, then San Remo or Flinders is 30-36 hours. I don't see a lot of point of going to Walkerville as its still an overnight trip but doesn't get me any closer to the destination (Melbourne).

My first sail will probably be Port Sorell. Just a short one, but I'm out the heads. Then again Badger Island (or Goose) are both easy non over nighters.
Once you get your solo-ing act together you'll be right. I've solo-ed from Melbourne to Flinders Island twice and to King Island, including overnighters. I'd suggest once you've got the basics, to do an easy night sail, say to Goose or Waterhouse or somewhere handy to get your confidence up.
lockie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 16:18   #125

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
The problem with King Island is that it's a long way from Grassy to the northern tip without any shelter spots. And getting caught in a Lee shore would be disastrous.
20 miles? You should be able to read your weather better than that.

As said above.... short runs single handed to places like Port Sorrel and Devonport... softly softly catchee monkey... until you know what you can handle.

Another singlehander lost at the eastern end of the Paddock recently.... 3rd in maybe 10/15 years... heading from Wport to wherever....

I used to try and depart on a Bass Strait crossing on 'the back of a front'..ie SW moderating... usually ended up motoring.
Old 26-08-2015, 16:30   #126

Well guys, disappointed that I couldn't go to Melbourne and Inspired to finally do something solo, on Wednesday afternoon I bit the bullet and set off to Port Sorell. Had to motor all the way so not a great achievement. But first time I've been out on my own.

Then at 7:30am this morning I left there and decided I'd pop round the corner to Devonport, so now I'm about an hour out of Devonport with 8-10 knots of breeze doing 3-4 knots. Tomorrow ill have all day to get back to the Tamar River.

Bit odd being out here on my own. Had Dolphins to talk to yesterday. As I reached over the side one of them rolled over like a dog as if wanting me to scratch it, but I just couldn't reach down to it. lol.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	up sail.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	107993   Click image for larger version

Name:	Devoonport.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	107994  

Old 26-08-2015, 16:32   #127

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Well guys, disappointed that I couldn't go to Melbourne and Inspired to finally do something solo, on Wednesday afternoon I bit the bullet and set off to Port Sorell. Had to motor all the way so not a great achievement. But first time I've been out on my own.

Then at 7:30am this morning I left there and decided I'd pop round the corner to Devonport, so now I'm about an hour out of Devonport with 8-10 knots of breeze doing 3-4 knots. Tomorrow ill have all day to get back to the Tamar River.

Bit odd being out here on my own. Had Dolphins to talk to yesterday. As I reached over the side one of them rolled over like a dog as if wanting me to scratch it, but I just couldn't reach down to it. lol.
Green with envy!
Old 26-08-2015, 17:05   #128

Boat: Compass 28

Re weather windows, I strongly suggest you get an external antenna for your mobile phone, to give you extended internet coverage. A couple of hundred bucks gets you coverage all over the place.

The point of this is not so you can idly waste your time browsing, but so you can get the excellent weather forecasts and real-time wind observations. In many parts of Bass Strait (especially around the Furneaux group), I could easily get weather info off the internet but not the VHF weather sched's (not even Mary from Smithton!)

This will give you a plenty of warning and a high level of assurance that you won't end up in conditions you can't handle.

Cheers, Graeme
lockie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2015, 17:12   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockie View Post
Re weather windows, I strongly suggest you get an external antenna for your mobile phone, to give you extended internet coverage. A couple of hundred bucks gets you coverage all over the place.

The point of this is not so you can idly waste your time browsing, but so you can get the excellent weather forecasts and real-time wind observations. In many parts of Bass Strait (especially around the Furneaux group), I could easily get weather info off the internet but not the VHF weather sched's (not even Mary from Smithton!)

This will give you a plenty of warning and a high level of assurance that you won't end up in conditions you can't handle.

Cheers, Graeme
Got that already. That's what I'm currently connecting with you on. I've got an Elite 4G wireless prepaid modem. My antenna connects to that. Then my iphone can connect wirelessly to it. I loose phone calls out further but text messages and internet work fine.
Old 26-08-2015, 21:59   #130

Quote:
Got that already. That's what I'm currently connecting with you on. I've got an Elite 4G wireless prepaid modem. My antenna connects to that. Then my iphone can connect wirelessly to it. I loose phone calls out further but text messages and internet work fine.
Internet can save the solo sailor from crossing the fine line between sane and insane. Just look at the MarkJ videos shot during his long solos passages
Old 16-12-2015, 11:31   #131

Boat: Van deStadt 34

I broke off from this discussion so I could get back to writing Cruising Victoria (I kept in PM correspondence with the OP and sent him drafts of the relevant pages).
The Cruising Yacht Association of Victoria has just released Cruising Victoria a cruising guide to Victoria, the Bass Strait Islands and northern Tasmania. It answers many of the questions raised in this thread.
This is the thread I started this morning:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...le-157983.html

I'd be happy to provide further information or you can check out "www.cyav.com.au"

Andrew Garrett
President, Cruising Yacht Association of Victoria
Andrew G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 02:01   #132

Hi guys,

Weather permitting I'm having another attempt at crossing to Melbourne next week. My son is coming again, but this time I'm leaving whether he's coming or not. The intent is we will sail to Docklands together and then I'll return on my own on my first serious SOLO
Old 06-04-2016, 02:18   #133

Boat: Passport 41, Custom Perry in steel.

I suppose you have this link, to help you across.

MetEye

Zoom in of course.
Oceanride007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 02:23   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanride007 View Post
I suppose you have this link, to help you across.

MetEye

Zoom in of course.
I was just on it again when your post popped up
Old 07-04-2016, 14:33   #135

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

http://www.bom.gov.au/australia/tides/#!/vic-the-rip

This also looks very handy!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Tags
sail, sailing