Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2016, 15:51   #136
Registered User
 
Rustic Charm's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Posts: 4,898
Re: Sailing The Rip into Port Philip Victoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
Tide Predictions for Australia, South Pacific and Antarctica

This also looks very handy!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Now that is really helpful all the previous discussions and I had not found that before. I'll book mark this one.

I'm not even sure how you found this link. I've book marked it, but without doing that I can't seem to find it.
__________________

__________________
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 16:56   #137
Registered User
 
Snowpetrel's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Hobart
Boat: Alloy Peterson 40
Posts: 3,071
Re: Sailing The Rip into Port Philip Victoria

Bom》marine and ocean》tidal predictions. Then the map comes up with all the red balloons. At the top of the map are two tabs, one says locations map, the other location list. Hit the list and scroll down till you find it.

Alternatively on the locations map hit the dot at the bottom right of the map for tidal streams.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________

__________________
My Ramblings
Snowpetrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 17:24   #138
Registered User
 
Oceanride007's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Boat in Whitsundays, heading south.
Boat: Custom Perry Passport 41, steel
Posts: 339
Re: Sailing The Rip into Port Philip Victoria

Yes, it is pretty good. I had a look at the next couple of days comparing to Williamstown High and low and the correlation is very good, so if your planning is off a little so long as you have tidetables, your good.
__________________
Oceanride007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 18:16   #139
Registered User
 
Rustic Charm's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Posts: 4,898
Re: Sailing The Rip into Port Philip Victoria

My son and I left yesterday morning at 9:30am for Flinders. We are currently 60 miles out. Eta 8pm I suspect. We have been motor sailing as the wind for the past 12 hours has been below 10 knotts and my new auto pilot set up doesn't like it when our speed drops to below 4.

Tomorrow we will probably be up early to be around at the rip for a 7:10am low. Tonight I'll just borrow a mooring at Flinders for the night.

Odd thing about this trip there has been absolutely no, nothing, nada other traffic. I even have my AIS set at 20 miles and still nothing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	83
Size:	199.5 KB
ID:	122546  
__________________
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 18:28   #140
Bailing as fast as I can.
 
GILow's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Boat: Swanson 42
Posts: 3,585
Re: Sailing The Rip into Port Philip Victoria

Excellent news!

Re the traffic, I heard a rumour that marine cargo traffic is at 15% of it's peak before the GFC, which, if true, may account for the relative quietness. I know when we crossed the entrance to Port Phillip Bay a few years ago I felt like the proverbial tortoise crossing a freeway.

Re Flinders, it can be a bit of a bouncy anchorage. Don't ask me how I know this.
__________________
Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes.
http://www.swansonsailor.id.au
GILow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 18:34   #141
Senior Cruiser
 
Jim Cate's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: cruising SW Pacific
Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Posts: 11,440
Re: Sailing The Rip into Port Philip Victoria

RC, we recently did th Macquarie Harbour to Eden run, and I also noticed what seemed like sparse traffic. Saw one ship visually before crossing the traffic separation area where we saw one other. Several on the AIS, but well out of visual range. Only one fishing boat, too, somewhere off Malacoota. Pretty lonely, it was!

Enjoy your sailing...

Jim
__________________
Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II , lying Port Cygnet, Tasmania once again
Jim Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 18:39   #142
Registered User
 
Rustic Charm's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Posts: 4,898
Re: Sailing The Rip into Port Philip Victoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Excellent news!

Re the traffic, I heard a rumour that marine cargo traffic is at 15% of it's peak before the GFC, which, if true, may account for the relative quietness. I know when we crossed the entrance to Port Phillip Bay a few years ago I felt like the proverbial tortoise crossing a freeway.

Re Flinders, it can be a bit of a bouncy anchorage. Don't ask me how I know this.
I've just estimated it will take about 4 hours to position ourselves for the 7:10am low tomorrow. Which would mean a 3am departure. not sure what do do. I think I need a coffee.
__________________
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 18:42   #143
Registered User
 
Rustic Charm's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Posts: 4,898
Re: Sailing The Rip into Port Philip Victoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
RC, we recently did th Macquarie Harbour to Eden run, and I also noticed what seemed like sparse traffic. Saw one ship visually before crossing the traffic separation area where we saw one other. Several on the AIS, but well out of visual range. Only one fishing boat, too, somewhere off Malacoota. Pretty lonely, it was!

Enjoy your sailing...

Jim
I've now picked up Forrest Harmoney 12 miles away to the north. That's the first vessel at all for the trip. Last year, especially near Wilson's Prom we were up all night keeping an eye on freighters in the lanes.
__________________
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 18:55   #144
Bailing as fast as I can.
 
GILow's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Boat: Swanson 42
Posts: 3,585
Re: Sailing The Rip into Port Philip Victoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
I've just estimated it will take about 4 hours to position ourselves for the 7:10am low tomorrow. Which would mean a 3am departure. not sure what do do. I think I need a coffee.
4 hours? That's faster than I'd make it. That assumes a bit over a six knot average. That French boat must be a rocket sled in comparison to our old tub.

From the weather forecast it appears you'll have a reasonable but slightly bumpy night at Flinders, and a downwind run in very light conditions to the entrance tomorrow morning. In those wind conditions I'd be lucky to make three knots, so I assume you are planning to motor?

Matt
__________________
Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes.
http://www.swansonsailor.id.au
GILow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 19:00   #145
Registered User
 
El Pinguino's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Punta Arenas ahorra
Boat: 39' Westerly Sealord
Posts: 3,947
Re: Sailing The Rip into Port Philip Victoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
My son and I left yesterday morning at 9:30am for Flinders. We are currently 60 miles out. Eta 8pm I suspect. We have been motor sailing as the wind for the past 12 hours has been below 10 knotts and my new auto pilot set up doesn't like it when our speed drops to below 4.

Tomorrow we will probably be up early to be around at the rip for a 7:10am low. Tonight I'll just borrow a mooring at Flinders for the night.

Odd thing about this trip there has been absolutely no, nothing, nada other traffic. I even have my AIS set at 20 miles and still nothing.
That looks to me like the 0710 slack water is the start of the ebb. You would be better waiting west of the leads until 1409 and catching the start of the flood.

0300 ish is the busy time at the heads with timed arrivals to be up in town at the start of the day shift.

10 years and three days since I retired from the day job... how time flies when you are having fun.... so best double check that info.
El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 19:01   #146
Registered User
 
Rustic Charm's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Posts: 4,898
Re: Sailing The Rip into Port Philip Victoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
4 hours? That's faster than I'd make it. That assumes a bit over a six knot average. That French boat must be a rocket sled in comparison to our old tub.

From the weather forecast it appears you'll have a reasonable but slightly bumpy night at Flinders, and a downwind run in very light conditions to the entrance tomorrow morning. In those wind conditions I'd be lucky to make three knots, so I assume you are planning to motor?

Matt
Yes, I was planning on motoring. Perhaps I should head tonight to that little town near the entrance ? Is there somewhere I can hold out

I'm doing 5.2-5.5 now with not quite my normal 2000 revs. My son is trying to sleep so I'm trying to keep the noise down.
__________________
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 19:16   #147
Registered User
 
El Pinguino's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Punta Arenas ahorra
Boat: 39' Westerly Sealord
Posts: 3,947
Re: Sailing The Rip into Port Philip Victoria

Memory not failing me... water level falling at Williamstown from 0725 to 1412 means water going out through entrance....water rising from 1412 to 2040 ...water coming in

Lookee here Tide Predictions for Australia, South Pacific and Antarctica

Simple when approached in this way and less likely to confuse than looking at HW and LW at Pt Lonsdale..

They used to name the slack water in the tables back in the dream time... Slack water ( start of) Flood, and Slack Water (start of) Ebb.

Dunno why they don't still do that.
El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 19:41   #148
Registered User
 
Rustic Charm's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Posts: 4,898
Re: Sailing The Rip into Port Philip Victoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Memory not failing me... water level falling at Williamstown from 0725 to 1412 means water going out through entrance....water rising from 1412 to 2040 ...water coming in

Lookee here Tide Predictions for Australia, South Pacific and Antarctica

Simple when approached in this way and less likely to confuse than looking at HW and LW at Pt Lonsdale..

They used to name the slack water in the tables back in the dream time... Slack water ( start of) Flood, and Slack Water (start of) Ebb.

Dunno why they don't still do that.
My reception keeps fading. Yes, I think that 7:10am is the start of the flood.

The 2:09pm would suit me better, it will give us all morning to get into position. But will we have enough time to get through at the 2pm time before the tide starts rushing out?
__________________
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 19:44   #149
Registered User
 
Rustic Charm's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Posts: 4,898
Re: Sailing The Rip into Port Philip Victoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Memory not failing me... water level falling at Williamstown from 0725 to 1412 means water going out through entrance....water rising from 1412 to 2040 ...water coming in

Lookee here Tide Predictions for Australia, South Pacific and Antarctica

Simple when approached in this way and less likely to confuse than looking at HW and LW at Pt Lonsdale..

They used to name the slack water in the tables back in the dream time... Slack water ( start of) Flood, and Slack Water (start of) Ebb.

Dunno why they don't still do that.
I'm not sure you have this right Ping. At the rip the 7:10am is a low, which means from then until 2:09 it's going to flood into the bay?
__________________
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 20:56   #150
Senior Cruiser
 
Wanderlust's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: NSW Central Coast
Boat: Lagoon 410
Posts: 499
Re: Sailing The Rip into Port Philip Victoria

I'm not seeing where low tide is at 7:10. It looks to me that the tidal outflow commences about 07:10 tomorrow (from high tide) and reaches 6+ knots mid morning (direction 200 degrees).

On that basis you would be better to time the entrance for the inflow after 14:09, which would give you plenty of time to find an anchorage. Strongest inflow is 16:46.

Note: I have never been through the rip, so this is just my analysis from the table linked by El Pinguino. I thought I would post in case El Pinguino does not respond for some time.
__________________

__________________
Steve
Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
sail, sailing

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Maxsea TZ - Rip-Off Britain ? John Duckworth Navigation 2 14-07-2010 12:19
Marinas Rip Off Electrical / Water Meters - How Do I Check? MarkJ Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 14 04-10-2009 19:58
The Voyage, Philip Caputo Casco Bay The Library 1 23-11-2008 23:24



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:43.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.