Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2015, 07:29   #1
Registered User
 
natraps116's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Back in Pennsylvania Awaiting next cruising season
Boat: Grand Soleil 46.3
Posts: 300
Sailing isn't all beaches and beers, good thing for navionics

Our recent little gale we encountered

https://youtu.be/bF1A36h1dis

Sent from my SM-T700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________

__________________
Do or do not, there is no try.

-Jedi master Yoda
natraps116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 08:00   #2
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 744
Re: Sailing isn't all beaches and beers, good thing for navionics

Quote:
Originally Posted by natraps116 View Post
Our recent little gale we encountered

https://youtu.be/bF1A36h1dis

Sent from my SM-T700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Just one question, Dave. Who are you "Staring" at? It's not polite to stare.
__________________

__________________
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 08:15   #3
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 744
Re: Sailing isn't all beaches and beers, good thing for navionics

Watched the whole viddy.

Hmmm, I don't know, man. I'd have kept sailing.

Makes a person wonder how Robert Manry crossed the North Atlantic single-handed in a 13-foot wooden Old Town "Whitecap" in '65, with just a compass, sextant, and no engine.





Robert Manry Project - THE BOATS - Story of Tinkerbelle | The Robert Manry Project

Anyway, nice that you gave a nod to the folks here at CF. Don't get wet!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tinkerp182r.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	164.2 KB
ID:	107925  
__________________
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 08:18   #4
Registered User
 
natraps116's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Back in Pennsylvania Awaiting next cruising season
Boat: Grand Soleil 46.3
Posts: 300
Re: Sailing isn't all beaches and beers, good thing for navionics

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
Watched the whole viddy.

Hmmm, I don't know, man. I'd have kept sailing.

Makes a person wonder how Robert Manry crossed the North Atlantic single-handed in a 13-foot wooden Old Town "Whitecap" in '65, with just a compass, sextant, and no engine.





Robert Manry Project - THE BOATS - Story of Tinkerbelle | The Robert Manry Project

Anyway, nice that you gave a nod to the folks here at CF. Don't get wet!
Yeah , we could have also sailed into a storm on any of our passages. We chose to wait 36 hours and it was smooth sailing for the 400 miles to Providencia.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
Do or do not, there is no try.

-Jedi master Yoda
natraps116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 08:32   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 744
Re: Sailing isn't all beaches and beers, good thing for navionics

Quote:
Originally Posted by natraps116 View Post
Yeah , we could have also sailed into a storm on any of our passages. We chose to wait 36 hours and it was smooth sailing for the 400 miles to Providencia.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Before Robert Manry embarked on his solo trans-Atlantic, he took his son for a "test sail" on Lake Erie. After encountering 6-footers on the lake, he said "Heck, no problem. I think I'll sail this Maine-built 13' skiff from Falmouth, Mass to Falmouth, England."

During his 70+ day voyage, he was knocked out of his boat 6 times by huge breaking 20-footers. Can you even imagine? Those were the days, huh?
__________________
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 08:50   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Jupiter FL
Boat: temporarily boatless...
Posts: 723
Re: Sailing isn't all beaches and beers, good thing for navionics

Around here, we call that "the afternoon."

Pete (!)
__________________
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 16:34   #7
Eternal Member

Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 848
Re: Sailing isn't all beaches and beers, good thing for navionics

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
Watched the whole viddy.

Hmmm, I don't know, man. I'd have kept sailing.
Not sure about that, but I'd have removed the engine from that dinghy, for starters...

But that's probably just me...

Good thing for Navionics, indeed...

Until, it isn't... ;-)
__________________
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 16:44   #8
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 744
Re: Sailing isn't all beaches and beers, good thing for navionics

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete33458 View Post
Around here, we call that "the afternoon."

Pete (!)
haha

A cruiser sails to the coast of Maine, and then takes his tender to explore the small quaint lobster village. After looking around town a bit, he approaches a local and asks:

Cruiser: "Can you tell me where the center of town is?"

Local: "Don't move one damn inch!"
__________________
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 17:07   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 744
Re: Sailing isn't all beaches and beers, good thing for navionics

More Maine humor:

Out-of-state cruiser to a Maine lobsterman: "Have you lived here all your life?"

Lobsterman: "Not yet."
__________________
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 17:34   #10
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Anacortes
Boat: Red Admiral, 1979 Holman Pye 36
Posts: 71
Re: Sailing isn't all beaches and beers, good thing for navionics

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
Before Robert Manry embarked on his solo trans-Atlantic, he took his son for a "test sail" on Lake Erie. After encountering 6-footers on the lake, he said "Heck, no problem. I think I'll sail this Maine-built 13' skiff from Falmouth, Mass to Falmouth, England."

During his 70+ day voyage, he was knocked out of his boat 6 times by huge breaking 20-footers. Can you even imagine? Those were the days, huh?
Stories are only told by people who live to tell them.

It's been a long long time since I read Joe Taskers book (mountain climber) but I remember quite clearly how he would tell a harrowing tale of near death at high altitude and then in the preface to the next story talk about how much confidence that last trip had given them and how they wanted to up the stakes for the next one.

He and Peter Boardman did this over and over again until they didn't come back any more.

So it's not really all that impressive to have lived through something that probably should have killed you. That seems like bad style.


Oh right the thread.....


Seems like if you are relying on an app running on an ipad or any other device for your safety in a sudden storm then that too is bad style.


And what's with all the darkness? I'm expecting Riddick to pop out at any time.
__________________
korrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 17:45   #11
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 744
Re: Sailing isn't all beaches and beers, good thing for navionics

Quote:
Originally Posted by korrigan View Post
Stories are only told by people who live to tell them.

It's been a long long time since I read Joe Taskers book (mountain climber) but I remember quite clearly how he would tell a harrowing tale of near death at high altitude and then in the preface to the next story talk about how much confidence that last trip had given them and how they wanted to up the stakes for the next one.

He and Peter Boardman did this over and over again until they didn't come back any more.

So it's not really all that impressive to have lived through something that probably should have killed you. That seems like bad style.
I beg to differ, but to each his/her own. I found his voyage to be quite impressive, with lots of planning involved.

That aside, my point was a bit different. There was a time with rotary phones, and folks who were not so hesitant to embrace adversity. Myself? I sure the heck am not going to try a trans-Atlantic in a "30-year-old" 13-foot sailing skiff that I fixed in my garage. Robert Manry did. Fairly impressive, if you ask me.

Blogs by youngsters with chart plotters sailing around in good weather, asking for sponsor (patron!) donations? Not so impressive.

If Ed Hillary had never ascended Everest, maybe nobody would have. Food for thought.
__________________
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 17:49   #12
Registered User
 
natraps116's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Back in Pennsylvania Awaiting next cruising season
Boat: Grand Soleil 46.3
Posts: 300
Re: Sailing isn't all beaches and beers, good thing for navionics

Quote:
Originally Posted by korrigan View Post
Stories are only told by people who live to tell them.

It's been a long long time since I read Joe Taskers book (mountain climber) but I remember quite clearly how he would tell a harrowing tale of near death at high altitude and then in the preface to the next story talk about how much confidence that last trip had given them and how they wanted to up the stakes for the next one.

He and Peter Boardman did this over and over again until they didn't come back any more.

So it's not really all that impressive to have lived through something that probably should have killed you. That seems like bad style.


Oh right the thread.....


Seems like if you are relying on an app running on an ipad or any other device for your safety in a sudden storm then that too is bad style.


And what's with all the darkness? I'm expecting Riddick to pop out at any time.
Remember, I said we use the iPad navigation app in addition to a chart plotter and radar. And it was so dark because it was a freaking white out gale that covered the sun completely. Duh. The sun was still out when the storm hit. You just couldn't see it.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
Do or do not, there is no try.

-Jedi master Yoda
natraps116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 17:50   #13
Registered User
 
FamilyVan's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,779
Re: Sailing isn't all beaches and beers, good thing for navionics

Can you guys not afford a new flag?

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 17:52   #14
Registered User
 
natraps116's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Back in Pennsylvania Awaiting next cruising season
Boat: Grand Soleil 46.3
Posts: 300
Re: Sailing isn't all beaches and beers, good thing for navionics

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
Can you guys not afford a new flag?

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
We actually have a nice 3X5 flag we raise once under way. The little one is for bad weather.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
Do or do not, there is no try.

-Jedi master Yoda
natraps116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 18:02   #15
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Anacortes
Boat: Red Admiral, 1979 Holman Pye 36
Posts: 71
Re: Sailing isn't all beaches and beers, good thing for navionics

Quote:
Originally Posted by natraps116 View Post
Remember, I said we use the iPad navigation app in addition to a chart plotter and radar. And it was so dark because it was a freaking white out gale that covered the sun completely. Duh. The sun was still out when the storm hit. You just couldn't see it.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
No worries. I'm just ribbing you. That sort of adventure gets pretty routine after a while. The more you go out the more it will happen.

The trick is to make it all part of the plan; that's when you are starting to develop style.
__________________

__________________
korrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
Beer, navionics, sail, sailing

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Name One Thing You Love and One Thing You Hate About Cruising ty.gregory The Sailor's Confessional 54 20-03-2015 12:10
A REALLY Stupid Thing Done While Doing a Stupid Thing Dick Pluta The Sailor's Confessional 31 28-04-2010 19:00



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 16:01.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.