Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2013, 04:45   #1
dtj

Sailing from St. Croix to Norfolk Virginia

We plan on sailing to Norfolk for hurricane season. When is the best time to leave St. Croix and best route to take.

Thanks.
dtj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2013, 20:09   #2

Boat: GAME PLAN, Celestial 48, Center Cockpit Cutter
You say nothing about your boat, your experience level , etc. so I'll give you what I would do if it was us on our boat.

First, I'd plan on leaving pretty soon. Hurricane Season begins in July and May is upon us.

I would cruise the southern coast of Puerto Rico. At the S.E. corner of the island, I would put into Boqueron if I needed a place to wait out bad weather before crossing the Mona Passage. You want to be careful with the Mona. It can get pretty snotty if the weather kicks up.

From there I'd cruise the north coast of the DR as far as Puerta Plata.

At this point I'd head for the Bahamas and lay in a course for the Exumas if I could. Then it's just a matter of following the Exumas north to Nassau. From there, across the Bahama Bank, past Cay Cay or Bimini depending on how you go.

Once you clear there you're in the Gulfstream and your options are plentiful.

I like to stay in the "Stream" but I favor the west side. The Stream will carry you all the way to Hatteras where you turn north along the coast for the last leg to the "Chessie".

Keep in mind I have painted this with a very broad brush, leaving the details to you however I think this route will give you the most options should your plans change, something breaks, weather sets in, etc. Especially along the US Coast where if you need to put in somewhere there are plenty of good inlets to do so.

Hope this helps
Sailor954 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailing