Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2016, 15:40   #1

Sailing from FL to Cuba

I am going to leave Fl some time in Nov.go to Cuba and then into the ragged islands and into Georgetown.
My question is all the different regulations from the US and can only stay 2 weeks.
I want to stay longer and I am going into the Bahamas and not back to the US.after Cuba Has any one done this and what is the real deal.

Thanks Art
Alfred Jolliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2016, 16:02   #2

Boat: Morgan, OutIsland, 41
Re: Sailing from FL to Cuba

Best to go as a part of a flotilla, not alone.

Depending on where in Fl. you are coming from, you can find folks getting together from Tampa, Ft. Myers, Miami, etc.

Get with the flotilla organizers and they will fill you in on what you need to do.

Best advise is not to go alone in the waters around Cuba. ( Yet )

I'm thinking about going down there myself just to see what it's like before it gets totally overwhelmed, but I won't go unless there are a bunch going.
Thorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2016, 19:34   #3

Boat: Outremer 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Dave852

We went with the two week permit but lots of boats go with out. Really just about your willingness to take a chance with getting caught. Neither the Bahamas or Cuba could care less if that's what your asking.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Dave852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2016, 07:43   #4

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

You are supposed to get a Coast Guard “Permit to Enter Cuban Territorial Seas” – fill out Form CG 3300 by visiting Cuba Travel Restrictions. Allow for at least a few weeks.

If you want to stay more than 14 days, you are supposed tor apply for and receive an approved SNAP-R Export License for your vessel – https://www.bis.doc.gov/index.php/li...edesign-snap-r. This process may take up to two months and could involve several phone conversations.

Hope this helps!
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2016, 08:30   #5

Boat: Kettenburg 1977 32 ft.

Hey, what's with this "The Cruisers Daily" pop up add? It blocks out a big portion of my screen and I can't get rid of it. I would like to read all responses to your quest but can't. Scram Cruisers Daily!
1Sunseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2016, 08:52   #6

Seeker that pop up ad only appears once a day. I go through the Daily Cruiser when it enters my e-mail box and only need to close the box once.
mholtzberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2016, 08:54   #7

Thorne,

Where are you located on the Gulf Coast? I am in Tampa.
mholtzberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2016, 08:57   #8

Boat: Kettenburg 1977 32 ft.

I did close it out yesterday and today it would not close, (X) out so I had to leave the site and come back. It was then gone. Not tragic, but irritating. Thanks
1Sunseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2016, 08:59   #9

Boat: Lagoon 40

We have done Cuba twice now - first time as part of the Pensacola to Havana Race (Nov 2015), and recently as a "planning trip" for the 2017 race (sailing for Pensacola to Isla Mujeres, on to Cuba, and return to Key West). The info provided by the waterway guide is correct. But even if you go for less than 14 days, to do it legally, your trip should comply with one of the categories under the General Permit. There is information about our trips on our blog (see link below, scroll back to November and May/June of this year). Also, I have just written an article for Pensacola Yacht Club's 2017 race site on "Things to Think About". Give it a day or so to get posted and then check out Home. if you have any problems, send me a PM and I will forward the article.

Have a great trip - its a fun place to visit.

Neil
Ndavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2016, 10:02   #10

Boat: Gemini 105Mc+
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed

Waterway Mike - I went to the link you provided for the export license and immediately was lost. A couple questions:
  1. This appears focused on businesses, not individuals. Can an individual get a CIN?
  2. Why an export license? I do not want to "export" my boat. You never do this for any other country. Doesn't make logical sense.
  3. The OP wanted to go from Cuba to the Bahamas, not back tot he US as I expect anyone not going to Havana and back would have some variation of. Does this link still apply?
  4. Do you need a zarpe going into Cuba?
Sailorman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2016, 10:32   #11
Marine Service Provider

Whatever you do, don't even think about not following U.S. Laws, Rules and Regulations. If you run foul of any agency of the Federal Government, you'll be regretting it for a long time and ignorance of our laws is not a useful defense.

Have fun but play it straight,

John Mardall
Vetus Maxwell Group
JOHNMARDALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2016, 11:07   #12

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorman Ed View Post
Waterway Mike - I went to the link you provided for the export license and immediately was lost. A couple questions:
  1. This appears focused on businesses, not individuals. Can an individual get a CIN?
  2. Why an export license? I do not want to "export" my boat. You never do this for any other country. Doesn't make logical sense.
  3. The OP wanted to go from Cuba to the Bahamas, not back tot he US as I expect anyone not going to Havana and back would have some variation of. Does this link still apply?
  4. Do you need a zarpe going into Cuba?
The journey to easy and open travel to Cuba for us USers is a slow boat. Right after the rules were eased, one needed to get specific OFAC and BIS licenses – and those rules were more geared to group visits under one of the authorized reasons for travel. Perhaps someone on this forum cruised there when the BIS license was required for all travel and can walk you through the SNAP process. I tried to follow the CIN instructions and ended up at an error page!
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2016, 11:11   #13

Boat: Boatless

Thorne, what do you mean with quote:

We found everything in and around Cuba to be very safe when we were there in may/june. Do you think it is unsafe?
BentP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2016, 12:12   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentP View Post
Thorne, what do you mean with quote:

We found everything in and around Cuba to be very safe when we were there in may/june. Do you think it is unsafe?
Just like the folks who posted just before this one said.....

Don't break the law.
Good luck on figuring out what the law for Americans is this week.
Hope the web site "You" are using works and is the right one.
and on and on.....

Until everyone gets all the groves greased so that Americans can come and go with a minimum of hassle, it is best not to play lone wolf, and flotillas have been making the trip for years with fewer problems.

I really would like to do some diving there before it gets too touristy. So I did a whole lot of research on "the best ways and places to go by boat".

I found it is a matter of "where" you go that makes a difference.

Where did you go? Can you give details?

Did you check out the HUGE marina they have created to handle the influx of Americans. ( forgot the name of the place )

My research showed that crime was not a huge issue in the tourist areas, but the further you get away from the big tourist areas the more entertaining things got.

By crime I don't mean just a bunch of guys who mug you for your money. You can find that in any American city.

At this point American tourism is getting ramped up ( daily flights from us cities ) so it is going to be a bit like the wild-wild west for a while.

I personally enjoy going to small coastal towns and making friends, but some might not, like it where the facilities are not, uh, premium.

Myself I like the less traveled waterway's.
Old 16-08-2016, 12:19   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mholtzberg View Post
Thorne,

Where are you located on the Gulf Coast? I am in Tampa.
Sent you a PM.

Tags
Cuba, sail, sailing