Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 16-08-2016, 13:32   #16

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop
Re: Sailing from FL to Cuba

Despite the inability of DC insiders to communicate in simple English it's not that complicated. The 14 day limit is real and do not overstay it without a damn good reason. About all you need to do is figure out which of the 12 categories of permitted travel you want to claim, retain an unsupported "log"of spending and interactions with locals, deny participating in any 'tourist' activities and most importantly get your plans pre-approved by the local USCG office. There may be a simple one page form you need to file but you can modify it over the phone before you go if your dates change. They only care about the 14 day limit in Cuba, you do not need to travel directly from or to the US.
There is no real reason to travel in a group. Cuban law enforcement is more effective than ours. Watch the local regulations on where you may go ashore, allow no locals on board, etc. Catching lobsters might be illegal, check before diving. I'm reasonably sure that fishing and netting bait is ok.
Despite the Cuban Mafia propaganda from Miami Western tourist have been visiting Cuba without problems for years. If you do not go there looking for trouble you are unlikely to find any. To me, loudly criticizing the government qualifies as looking for trouble.

Old 16-08-2016, 16:58   #17

Boat: Irwin 43 Mk111 CC, Sloop
Send a message via Skype™ to adlib2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfred Jolliffe View Post
I am going to leave Fl some time in Nov.go to Cuba and then into the ragged islands and into Georgetown.
My question is all the different regulations from the US and can only stay 2 weeks.
I want to stay longer and I am going into the Bahamas and not back to the US.after Cuba Has any one done this and what is the real deal.

Thanks Art
Subscribe to this Group for answers to all your questions from those that bin there, done it.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/SailingandCruisingCuba/
Cuba, Land and Sea

Old 16-08-2016, 20:30   #18

Boat: 37 Tayana Pilot House

I have sailed to Cuba from Sarasota 6 times, a few times single handed on a Pearson Triton, I have a 501-c3 and go to help kids at a orphanage. I can not say enough about the wonderful Cuban people.

Once it was to ruff to enter Marina Hemingway Marina and I was given permission to enter Havana Harbor, alone on the Triton I surfed the large swells into Havana, Castle Morrow on my left and Havana on my right, it was a bucket list moment I will never forget.

I was told to dock at the cruse ship pier, OK I thought. The next day the official said I needed to pay 65 per day dock fee, I went ballistic and said I would return to the sea and perish, rather then pay the crazy fee.

They marched the Admiral of the Cuban Navy, the Police and of course undercover Cuban men with beady eyes on to my boat, I explained I was alone and the 12 bags of toys and cloths were for the Cuban Orphans.

They smiled and said as soon as the weather cleared I was free to go on to Marina Hemingway.

True story,

If your going feel free to contact me, and take a few things to the kids at the Orphanage.

Never felt in danger, rented a car, rented a motorcycle no problems ever,
just use common sense, don't get blind drunk and walk home alone from the bar, hell I don't do that here in Sarasota fl.

My big and I mean big warning is watch your weather, Gulf Stream, winter time with cold front coming down it can get nasty quick, summer time squalls are a pain but pass quickly. The entrance to Marina Hemingway is ok but only during the day in my opinion.

Just go before Starbucks and Taco Bell are on every corner,

Just My 2 cents, have fun,
Old 30-08-2016, 16:01   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mholtzberg View Post
Thorne,

Where are you located on the Gulf Coast? I am in Tampa.
No in MD
Old 30-08-2016, 16:08   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by navysurfer View Post
I have sailed to Cuba from Sarasota 6 times, a few times single handed on a Pearson Triton, I have a 501-c3 and go to help kids at a orphanage. I can not say enough about the wonderful Cuban people.

Once it was to ruff to enter Marina Hemingway Marina and I was given permission to enter Havana Harbor, alone on the Triton I surfed the large swells into Havana, Castle Morrow on my left and Havana on my right, it was a bucket list moment I will never forget.

I was told to dock at the cruse ship pier, OK I thought. The next day the official said I needed to pay 65 per day dock fee, I went ballistic and said I would return to the sea and perish, rather then pay the crazy fee.

They marched the Admiral of the Cuban Navy, the Police and of course undercover Cuban men with beady eyes on to my boat, I explained I was alone and the 12 bags of toys and cloths were for the Cuban Orphans.

They smiled and said as soon as the weather cleared I was free to go on to Marina Hemingway.

True story,

If your going feel free to contact me, and take a few things to the kids at the Orphanage.

Never felt in danger, rented a car, rented a motorcycle no problems ever,
just use common sense, don't get blind drunk and walk home alone from the bar, hell I don't do that here in Sarasota fl.

My big and I mean big warning is watch your weather, Gulf Stream, winter time with cold front coming down it can get nasty quick, summer time squalls are a pain but pass quickly. The entrance to Marina Hemingway is ok but only during the day in my opinion.

Just go before Starbucks and Taco Bell are on every corner,

Just My 2 cents, have fun,
Ok sounds great what is the name of the orphange I have some stuff for them. How is the crusing twards the raged islands going their next Cheers
Old 30-08-2016, 20:14   #21

Boat: Grand Soleil 46.3

Not what most cruisers will tell ya but the reality is there are dozens of Americans that go to Cuba every month that we saw while we were there. No one had permission. Just our experience

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

-Jedi master Yoda
natraps116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2016, 12:16   #22

Boat: Kettenburg 1977 32 ft.

Thanks for the info. I wish I were closer as Everett, WA is a long hard sail, tack/jibe away.
Old 31-08-2016, 13:11   #23

Boat: 37 Tayana Pilot House

I will dig up the info , right now busy getting boat ready for the wind and rain, great that your going you will have a blast.

Thanks the kids will appreciate anything,

Tags
Cuba, sail, sailing

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: