Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2013, 01:27   #16

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Re: Sailing from Australia to New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Matt,

I think you'll find that on an ocean trip when most of the winds are aft of the beam, your boat will average more than 5 knots. I would not be surprised at 140+ n. mi./day, which is what our 36 footer used to do. On one particularly fast trip from Noumea to Gladstone, she averaged 159.5 n. mi./day. If there is a healthy breeze abaft the beam, you'll do better, I betcha.

Ann
You are probably right. Maybe the 5 knot average is more applicable to coastal hopping. We definitely averaged 5 knots when we came around on Bass Strait, based on the fairly detailed logs I kept of the journey, but we had a professional photographer on the journey who took brilliant photos, and in a few of them you can see the log behind people and it is never reading less than 5.5 knots. (and it reads low by a few %, haven't got round to fixing it yet)

Maybe you lose lots of time to the getting in and out of ports or something and that drives the average down.

Matt
GILow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2013, 03:31   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Getting back? Chathams/Chile/Falklands?........ that should work.... but really I dunno.... haven't got back yet....
Right... er... want to drop me a line when you work out how to get back
GILow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2013, 17:12   #18

Boat: Traditional 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
What sort of average speed do they use for estimating travel times for a boat of that size and construction? We were told by the original owner to use 5 knots for our calculations for our old Swanson, and so far that has worked very well for us.

Matt
It was a long time ago. But we cracked 200 in a day- only on one day though. Our slowest was about 150 in the day.. It was a Davidson 55 Racer Cruiser with a ton or so of water ballast on the rail. So the realistic average speed for that boat was probably somewhere around the 7-8 knot mark.

We didnt use spinnakers along the way. The only sail change aside from the cruising main and jib was a Code Zero that we used for 36 hours.

That 5 sounds reasonable. The old rule of thumb for traditional cruisers has usually been at the 100 per day mark.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2013, 20:24   #19

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

You're right, Ozskipper,

The old standard was 5 k. It is just that in my experience of boats more modern (longer waterline lengths) than the boats to which the 5 k. average applied, the averages are usually higher. For conservative planning on our boat, we plan at 6 k., but often arrive quite early. I think it's hard to plan really accurately, because contrary or favorable currents get in the way of the plans. The EAC is pretty reliable, but say, between Southport and Noumea, there are often 1.5 k. against, on and off again. But it doesn't matter very much, once one is in their ocean sailing patterns of rest, whether or not one heaves to to wait for good light to enter a reef doesn't make much difference. Must admit having gone into Passe Boulari, and Passee Dumbea at night, after we'd explored the areas by day--but this is another story.
Old 21-12-2013, 20:44   #20

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Matt,

Yes, averages are sensitive to the tails of the distribution. Still, with Sally's racing-honed skills, and good quality sails, you'd be surprised at how nicely Manera will sail, and maybe have more rapid passages than you anticipate.

What were your averages the other weekend when you were out?

If you count from harbor entrance to hook down you'll omit some of the time poking around, and your average sailing speed will be somewhat more accurate. It'll always take time poking around finding your spot in an anchorage.
Old 21-12-2013, 20:58   #21

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Off soundings I invariably find my day's run is less than what I think I should have done.... mainly due to measuring straight line from noon to noon while the boat has actually been steering a more serpentine course. I always allow 5 knots... that way I am pleasantly surprised..... most of the time.... and usually arrive earlier than expected.

It also allows for very light daysor - heaven forbid - days when we have actually had to sail to windward....
Old 21-12-2013, 22:53   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Matt, Yes, averages are sensitive to the tails of the distribution. Still, with Sally's racing-honed skills, and good quality sails, you'd be surprised at how nicely Manera will sail, and maybe have more rapid passages than you anticipate. What were your averages the other weekend when you were out? If you count from harbor entrance to hook down you'll omit some of the time poking around, and your average sailing speed will be somewhat more accurate. It'll always take time poking around finding your spot in an anchorage.

Ann, sadly our averages last weekend were more like 4 knots due to being becalmed both days. In each case it was expected that there would be a quiet patch in the middle and to put things in perspective, I had to make 8 sail changes coming home. That's a sail change every four miles.

I think we need to stretch our legs a bit and get down to Kangaroo Island pronto... In order to gain more data.
Old 21-12-2013, 22:55   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
. It also allows for very light daysor - heaven forbid - days when we have actually had to sail to windward....
Perish the thought!
Old 22-12-2013, 23:23   #24

Boat: kuiper 32

have done southport to nelson in november 1983 took 13 and a half days with 3 days under bare poles most boats take one hiding crossing over though so take it seriously.We had friends follow us over on an old over loaded h28 and they never arrived.
builder dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 23:28   #25
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Sailing from Australia to New Zealand

From my experience... for what its worth..
95 a day for -35 and 120/day average for 54ft... but I could just be a crap sailor...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2013, 11:22   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by builder dan View Post
have done southport to nelson in november 1983 took 13 and a half days with 3 days under bare poles most boats take one hiding crossing over though so take it seriously.We had friends follow us over on an old over loaded h28 and they never arrived.
that's very sobering.
Old 23-12-2013, 11:26   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
From my experience... for what its worth.. 95 a day for -35 and 120/day average for 54ft... but I could just be a crap sailor...
. An extra 25 miles for the extra 19 feet seems a very poor return when you consider the relative purchase and ownership costs of each boat. Feels like the law of diminishing returns at play.
Old 23-12-2013, 13:02   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The week prior to our last tasman crossing we had friends in 80kts (saw a video, it was real)

Then we did hobart to bay of islands . . . . . had one gust to 12kts . . . all the rest was 5-8 kts
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2013, 13:14   #29
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Sailing from Australia to New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
. An extra 25 miles for the extra 19 feet seems a very poor return when you consider the relative purchase and ownership costs of each boat. Feels like the law of diminishing returns at play.
Well the average for the 54 is based on a non-stop from Panama to Nuku Hiva...
The other was a non stop on a Bene 321 from St Martin to Salcombe, UK...
Gotta factor in things like calms.. limited fuel etc.. do you burn fuel to gain miles and lose your power supply or save fuel to keep power up..
Short hops are another matter.. you can choose the best windows.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2013, 17:32   #30

Boat: Westerly Sealord

What he said..... my runs of 10 days or more rarely seem to get very much above 5 knots for the reasons mentioned and you invariably end up sailing further than the distance you first thought of. I also run with the 'worst case ' ETA when letting people know when I am hoping to arrive somewhere.. You know what they say.... pessimists are always being pleasantly surprised while optimists are frequently disappointed...

Tags
Australia, New Zealand, sail, sailing