Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2016, 09:49   #16

Boat: 40 Trojan International
Re: Sailing for the first time from Ft. Lauderdale to Jacksonville.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuttingDoctor View Post
As your profile has no info I am curious what it is that you are sailing north? An outside run from Lauderdale will allow a good kick in the tail from the Gulf Stream. Just look for the wind profile prior to biting off too much.

If the weather sends you in and up the ICW make a stop in Daytona Beach at Halifax Harbor Marina. Nice spot with floating docks and great services.
Hi PuttingDoctor. Thanks and yes we are sailing North in a 39 temple marine. With tiller .
carebear1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2016, 10:23   #17

Boat: Hunter Passage 42

The Florida surprise storms are more likely in the summer. Mostly predicted this time of year --ie fronts.

Per::
Go to the Landing at Jacksonville and use the public dock there, outside Hooters (who has a great cod sandwich plate and the burgers are out of this world), the Main Street Bridge will open for you, but there is also a rail trestle there, which would have to open as well. The same operator seems to run them both. There was some work going on with those earlier this year, and I seem to recall the openings were going to be restricted, but that may be over with now. I don't know, and have not heard anything updating that since our trip. Regardless, the docking of your vessel at Hooters overnite is free, and you can walk less than 30 feet to lunch or dinner. ATM is around the corner, outside the restaurant street entrance, perhaps 50 feet away on the port side as you leave the restaurant on that side (the part of the structure opposite the dock).

I will also say that if you go then into the Palatka area, on the St. John's (south of the Main Street Bridge), the owner of the Crystal Cove Marina rented us a transient slip for ten bucks a nite, and even with no power or water at the dock for that price, it was a great deal. He may do the same for you or not, I don't know, but they are a great bunch there. Ask for Kelly or his wife (cannot recall her name, but she is also nice).
----------------------------------------------------
The docks at the landing were damaged by Matthew. We were there a few weeks ago and docking was prohibited at that time. Don't think they have been fixed yet. There was less availability on the Main street bridge, but think it was only nighttime restrictions on the weekend. The railroad bridge is open 95 percent of the time. Only closes for a 15-30 minute window to allow a train to pass. But that is very rare.

Second the cute marina North of Palatka-very helpful and nice staff. There is also a nice help yourself marina in Green Cove Springs. You voluntarily pay at the police dept--believe it was only 15 per night and had electric and water.. But there's a nice park just ashore, and it's a 2 block walk to the business section with a couple nice restaurants. Also just south is one of the best do it yourself marinas around.
Geek_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2016, 13:08   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek_Guy View Post
................... the Main Street Bridge will open for you, but there is also a rail trestle there, which would have to open as well. The same operator seems to run them both..............

.......................I will also say that if you go then into the Palatka area, on the St. John's (south of the Main Street Bridge)..........
'some great advice from Geek_Guy here, but let me clarify a couple of points.

The railway bridge answers on the VHF as the FEC Railway Bridge and it is not open in conjunction with the Main Street Bridge. Actually it's not next to the Main Street Bridge, but just beyond the 65' fixed Acosta Bridge.

In addition, Palatka is about 65 miles beyond the Main St. Bridge in Jacksonville and you can not navigate to Palatka unless you can clear the 45' fixed bridge at Green Cove Springs which is about 20 miles south of Jacksonville.
Old 17-12-2016, 13:35   #19

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Don't bother trying to stay in the Gulf stream north of Cape Canaveral. The stream is 60-70 miles off shore at Jacksonville and you will waste a lot of time getting from there to the inlet.
Captain Bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2016, 17:02   #20

Boat: 1988 Wilbur 34

I've done this many times... at least as far as Ponce de Leon Inlet (New Smyrna & Daytona Beach). If winds are from any northerly quadrant, particularly through the winter months, my suggestion is to remain in the ICW.

If you're fortunate enough to have westerlies or southerly winds, my approach would be to angle northeasterly out to the Gulf Stream. Then remain in the stream until directly east of Cape Canaveral. At that point, adjust your course for a straight line to St. John's Inlet.

If you do sail offshore and winds from any northerly quadrant should kick up along the way, plan to enter the nearest viable inlet to the ICW. Ponce de Leon inlet has not been mentioned. It has an undeserved bad reputation. Though I would not recommend a nighttime approach, the inlet is well marked and easily navigable. Upon entering the inlet, local knowledge is necessary to proceed to the north through an unmarked section of the channel. However a short jog to the south, past the US Coast Guard station, easily takes you to the ICW.

Keep an eye on the weather and you will do well.
Seighlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2016, 19:08   #21

Boat: 55 fleming

Very straight forward offshore if weather cooperates. If wind is more than 20k from North to North East ICW is recommended. Max air draft of 65' in the ditch and if the water is low more than 6' of draft can be a problem in some areas.
wesevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 07:14   #22

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

If you want to make time and have night watch relief, off shore is the way to go. Watch out for any northerly wind in the forecast. The ICW can be a pleasant trip with lots of good stopping points but you will mostly be motoring.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 20:14   #23

How was your sail? We made that that trip 2 years ago and had a blast!
GeorgiaPeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2017, 04:54   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, GeorgiaPeach.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2017, 18:32   #25

Thank you so much! This is a great forum.
GeorgiaPeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacksonville, sail, sailing