Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2013, 05:14   #16
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Re: sail from the Mediterranean Sea up the Niles River to Cairo

There is another way...

We saw several new but virtually empty marinas on the north coast between Alexandira and Mersa Murth. They were obviously for our typoe of boats, not small fishing boats etc. They must be cheap as few boats are in them.

In a place like that, of Alexandira, one doesnt need to transit the Suez (Malborough ) Canal twice.
Yes, Hurgarda is nice and safe and we were based there for a month while we did land travel. We found El Gouna was very expensive and the marina staff tried to rip us off on entry, fuel exit and whenever we opened our nmouths and we were only there ONE night!
More on Egypts corruption from Fatty Goodlander Fatty Goodlander, S/V Wild Card - Corruption & Bribery in the Suez Canal*Please note: some people thought I was exaggerating how badly the power structure of Egypt was treating its people. They could not believe that I said the powerful, unfiltered t

All that being said.... the land travel can be fantastic by local bus and train... you will still be ripped off but without an expensive boat you can look or plead poor.
So do go there when its safe... but keep the boat safer!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 06:11   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

abu tig marina for a 10m yacht on the 6month rate is roughly 400euro a month with free power and water and 5 star facilities.

hurghada marina is a lot cheaper,around 170 euro a month,and is in town and close reasonably priced marine chandlers,harware and other stores,night life , cheap resturants and super markets.

having spent a lot of time in egypt i can understand the veiws of people like fatty and mark who perhaps are more used to the service industry of the west where the what you pay for is what you get.

in egypt everything is negotiable! if you suffer from a lack of patience and manners this is considered to be a bargaining chip in the vendors advantage!

you would think by now these beer swilling so called authoraties on sailing would have learnt to become at least a little bit streetwise ......

i see they are now both back in their comfort zone's in st.martin /bvi,close to budget marine,wallmart and the soggy dollar bar.............
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 06:15   #18

Boat: Ericson 41

Atoll,
Maybe you were lucky with "PRINCE OF RED SEA". If you read what other are telling the story is not so good. I too want to go to Hurghada and Sharm El Sheikh in the winter, but I will wait till the Suez Channel is open, or with less corruption, so you can pay a reasonable price for passing.
sveinutne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 06:35   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

it has nothing to do with luck!
the trick is to know aproximately what you should pay!
my 12month cruising permit is $120,canal fee bothways is $640 valid for 6months for a 63 ft yacht,including the agents fee,for the return trip i only pay the agents fee about 80-120 dollars,i never tip more than $20 dollars,never had a problem on the last 7 transits i have done.

quite often the agents and pilots will arrive with bags of ice and boxes of cake as gifts

mind you i do speak some arabic,and respect their customs
Old 15-02-2013, 06:50   #20

Boat: Ericson 41

Atoll,
Do you speak Arabic? I got the feeling you do, or at lest enough to stop been used.
I have done some business in Russia, and the trice was to know how much to pay and to home you should pay. From all my asking about Suez channel prices, it has been very difficult to get a clear price. Your price of less that $1000 both ways with a much larger boat then I plan to use is very encouraging. Now I feel the Red Sea might be on the table again, but I hope the people of Egypt will have a soft revolution that will make the situation even better.
sveinutne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 06:54   #21

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post

you would think by now these beer swilling so called authoraties on sailing would have learnt to become at least a little bit streetwise ......

i see they are now both back in their comfort zone's in st.martin /bvi,close to budget marine,wallmart and the soggy dollar bar.............
Hey Atoll. Get a grip. That is a pretty poor and particularly ignorant aspersion. For your information, Gary (Fatty) Goodlander does not drink alcohol at all and Mark is a temperate guy. People that feel they must demean others in an attempt to bolster their own arguements have weak positions, at best. Both Gary and Mark have traversed the area in the same manner that sveinutne is likely to and their experience is entirely relevant to his decision making.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 07:04   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

$10 a foot for a mono,plus agents fees of $80-120,plus the cruising permit$120,plus visas $25 each is the correct price.

although if you do not go ashore for the suez you donot pay the cruising permit or the visa fee.

sharm el sheik has their own seperate cruising permit and for this you will need another agent and pay again.

much of the fuss made by yachties is they want to go ashore,but dont want to pay a cruising permit and visas,adding an extra average $220 for a 4 person crew when they only spend a few nights in egypt,nothing corrupt at all,just the law.

the negotiable part is the agents fee,which is dictated on how wealthy,stupid,uninformed ,inpatient and rude the captain is seen to be!!!!
Old 15-02-2013, 07:07   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Hey Atoll. Get a grip. That is a pretty poor and particularly ignorant aspersion. For your information, Gary (Fatty) Goodlander does not drink alcohol at all and Mark is a temperate guy. People that feel they must demean others in an attempt to bolster their own arguements have weak positions, at best. Both Gary and Mark have traversed the area in the same manner that sveinutne is likely to and their experience is entirely relevant to his decision making.
i appologise to both,but am just getting a bit pissed off with mark jumping in on just about every thread i reply to with non constructive,and some times dangerous advice about stuff that he knows very little about
Old 15-02-2013, 08:30   #24
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
i appologise to both,but am just getting a bit pissed off with mark jumping in on just about every thread i reply to with non constructive,and some times dangerous advice about stuff that he knows very little about
Thanks Atoll.
For your information, I have sailed Egypt three times including once where we picked up a boat shipped from Australia to Pt Said and the owner decided to rig it there instead of (my advice of) motoring it to Marmaris. It cost him over $10,000 in bribes. Thats over the cost of everything else.

That you and I reply to the same threads is not inexplicable. I doubt you reply to the cooking at sea threads. I dont either.

People with a contrary view to yours are not necessarily offering dangerous advice.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mediterranean, sail