Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2012, 16:12   #1
Registered User
 
GreggL's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NYC
Boat: Hunter E33
Posts: 194
Sag Harbor to Montauk

First time out east on long island sound.

When doing this route do you travel north or south of gardiners island?

Are there extreme tidal conditions in either of these areas like seen in plum gut?
__________________

__________________
GreggL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012, 17:01   #2
Senior Cruiser
 
colemj's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Presently on US East Coast
Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Posts: 10,049
Images: 12
Re: Sag harbor to montauk

Either way - they are about the same distance. North of Gardiners will give you the best sailing if the winds are SW and light. It is wide open and you will also have room to tack if needed - or just play around sailing. South of Gardiners you need to stay in a confined route through shallower water, so the sailing isn't as good. However, this is the more protected route if the weather is bad.

Gardiners bay is some of the best sailing you can have in New England. Protected waters, very little current, no lobster pots, wide open - just great sailing.

Are you going to bypass Coecles Harbor and Three Mile Harbor? I would have skipped Sag for those two.

Mark
__________________

__________________
www.svreach.com

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012, 17:30   #3
Registered User
 
GreggL's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NYC
Boat: Hunter E33
Posts: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj
Either way - they are about the same distance. North of Gardiners will give you the best sailing if the winds are SW and light. It is wide open and you will also have room to tack if needed - or just play around sailing. South of Gardiners you need to stay in a confined route through shallower water, so the sailing isn't as good. However, this is the more protected route if the weather is bad.

Gardiners bay is some of the best sailing you can have in New England. Protected waters, very little current, no lobster pots, wide open - just great sailing.

Are you going to bypass Coecles Harbor and Three Mile Harbor? I would have skipped Sag for those two.

Mark
Thanks. Yea I'm already in sag, came here for its closeness to my brothers home so made sense for me. Heading out east to montauk this weekend so I'll check those places out Maby on way back.
__________________
GreggL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 15:21   #4
Registered User
 
GreggL's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NYC
Boat: Hunter E33
Posts: 194
Would anyone know of traveling around the north of gardiners island would have similar conditions as plum gut?
I went through there the other day and it seemed the tide rips could have went all the way from the east of the gut, south to the north tip of gardiners island.
__________________
GreggL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 19:52   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sailing the Caribbean
Boat: Switch 51
Posts: 1,498
Re: Sag Harbor to Montauk

No. Its got some currents but nothing like the Gut. Don't worry about it.
__________________
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 20:11   #6
Registered User
 
GreggL's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NYC
Boat: Hunter E33
Posts: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko
No. Its got some currents but nothing like the Gut. Don't worry about it.
Cool. Thanks.
__________________
GreggL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 22:35   #7
Registered User
 
chef2sail's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Parkville, MD
Boat: C&C 35 MKIII
Posts: 147
Images: 2
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail Send a message via Skype™ to chef2sail
We came through the Gut two days ago. The current drops drastically 1 mile from the rips. Tomorrow we are leaving Greenport for Montauk for a few days to stay on Lake Montauk before heading to Stonington. We prefer to sail the route between the Gut and Gardiners as you can tack through there and is wide open. The route along the south fork is tight and constricted.

Dave
__________________
Dave and Donna
S/V Haleakula
Parkville, MD
chef2sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 22:39   #8
Registered User
 
GreggL's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NYC
Boat: Hunter E33
Posts: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail
We came through the Gut two days ago. The current drops drastically 1 mile from the rips. Tomorrow we are leaving Greenport for Montauk for a few days to stay on Lake Montauk before heading to Stonington. We prefer to sail the route between the Gut and Gardiners as you can tack through there and is wide open. The route along the south fork is tight and constricted.

Dave
Thanks Dave, ill try that route. Well be arriving Friday hopefully.
__________________
GreggL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 22:45   #9
Registered User
 
chef2sail's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Parkville, MD
Boat: C&C 35 MKIII
Posts: 147
Images: 2
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail Send a message via Skype™ to chef2sail
We are staying in the Montauk Marine Basin till Sat . If you are there look us up. Haleakula C&C 35 , with dinghy on Davits.

Dave
__________________
Dave and Donna
S/V Haleakula
Parkville, MD
chef2sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 23:09   #10
Registered User
 
GreggL's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NYC
Boat: Hunter E33
Posts: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail
We are staying in the Montauk Marine Basin till Sat . If you are there look us up. Haleakula C&C 35 , with dinghy on Davits.

Dave
Well be at montauk yacht club till Sunday. Calypso-hunter e33. Hopefully well run into each other.
__________________

__________________
GreggL is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 23:03.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.