Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2014, 06:55   #1

Boat: CSY 37 Plan B
Run To Bimini From Rodriguez Key

We are about to make a run to Bimini from just south of Rodriguez. While I have made a Bahamas run before, I left from Port Canaveral and was taking the south 65 route to Puerto Rico (boat problems forced us into port) on someone else's boat as crew.

Right now the stream is about 6-8 miles off from where I am. The winds are forecast to be ESE around 10 kts, then switching SE later on. Now I'm not to proud to admit when I am new at something and I wanted to consult with my CF think tank..

The plan is to leave this evening around 5/6pm heading almost directly east, letting the Gulf Stream do most of the pushing north. Once through the stream the plan is to readjust course for Bimini. From what I've been able to calculate it should take anywhere from 14 to 20 hours which would put me there somewhere between 8am and 1pm' ish. Mostly looking for advice on plotting the course or if I'm missing something..

Thanks
Old 03-09-2014, 07:18   #2

Are you planning to stay in the GS till Bimini or push through and then head north outside of the GS?
Aderby810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 07:20   #3

Re: Run To Bimini From Rodriguez Key

Kind of wanting opinions, but I'd like to use the stream as much as possible to my advantage..
Old 03-09-2014, 07:44   #4

Boat: temporarily boatless...

Gulf stream's running a little slow at present, max speed in the region you are talking about is 1-1.5kt (see below). I would say that under ordinary circumstances your plan would be perfect, given the present conditions you will probably undershoot Bimini, but that's a lot better than overshooting! Still, the stream shouldn't be too much of an influence if things stay the way they are. I think with forecast winds of SE/ESE around 10kt, you can plan on 14-15 hours for your trip from Rodriguez. Have fun, I wish I was going! Pete

pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 07:55   #5

Pete,

Thank you for the reply, that will help me get a better point of sail as well. Didn't realize it was moving so slow right now..
Old 03-09-2014, 08:03   #6

Boat: temporarily boatless...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thin Line View Post
Pete,

Thank you for the reply, that will help me get a better point of sail as well. Didn't realize it was moving so slow right now..
Always good to check! I use passageweather.com. Pete
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:27   #7

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Thinline,
You will have excellent sailing with the predicted winds. I would set your course 20 degrees south of Bimini Harbor. When you plot your hourly fix, you will develop a stairstep pattern on your chart/chartplotter when crossing the stream. Once out of the stream(you'll know when your set diminishes on your fixes), re-plot your course for a beeline reach into Bimini. You should be able to sail the entire distance. Good luck and good sailing.
Old 04-09-2014, 13:01   #8

Well we arrived in Alicetown just after 11am, crossing was eventful to say the least. We encountered several storms that at one point had us running 7kts with staysail alone, waves were on the beam, of course wind didn't clock SE like it said it was going to (lol does it ever?) At 9:30 last night we lost our autopilot, we made the family decision to hand steer with the 3 of us ( my wife, myself and our 14 year old son) Now time to explore! Thanks for the advice..

Cory
https://share.delorme.com/thinline

Tags
bimini