Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2015, 19:06   #1

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Routes up the East Coast of USA

I was wondering if there are regular routes taken from Florida up the east coast to the Chesapeake during July.

Specifically, I was looking at following the 100 fathom line up the coast to get a boost from the gulf stream. My first mentor mentioned how bad it can get off the coast of Cape Hatteras and recommended we duck in before getting there and take the ICW the rest of the way up.

Any feedback on that route in early July?
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2015, 20:03   #2

Boat: irwin 37 center cockpit
Re: Routes up the East Coast of USA

pull in to the icw at beaufort nc, go up adams creek/icw to the neuse river then more icw to norfolk. i go outside from there to rhode island. its pretty easy going, just make your way during the daylight cause it gets really shallow outside of the chanel. (think oyster beds) the temps might get up there (90 +) in july and there will be some bugs so bring fans and bug spray. other than that the weather won't be that big a deal as long as there are no hurricanes. don't forget to time your bridges and watch for tugs. its good to have a radio on in the cockpit for both.
fisherman.ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2015, 08:23   #3

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

If the weather is fine, Hatteras is fine. If not, jump inside at Beaufort or Cape Fear.

Just go out until you find the Western wall of the Gulf Stream and enjoy the ride. We went Stuart-Annapolis outside last July and had a great ride on the 4kt magic carpet.

I would recommend avoiding going inside the ICW that time of year. There really isn't any need to go in, unless you are on a specific schedule. July should have lots of windows of nice SW breezes for several days. Just pick one and go.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2015, 07:52   #4
cruiser

Boat: 2007 Beneteau 393 Cyclades

Agreed, if the weather and waves are looking rough you can come in the Cape Fear. Hatteras area can be brutal in the wrong conditions (hence the name Graveyard of the Atlantic). But beware, Cape Fear can be dicey too.
The sands there shift often and the bouys are moved regularly. Be sure to update your chart if you go in this way.

This screenshot shows the mouth of the Cape Fear. You can see that some charts like this one have extreme detail which will help you. Just be sure you have a good and UPDATED chart.
hogHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2015, 14:55   #5

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

I was thinking about staying far enough out that we are in the gulf stream anyhow, that would be about the 100 fathom line - about 600 feet.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 13:44   #6

Boat: 33 Morgan Out Island

Appreciate all the info for my trip North from Jax. Fl. to N.Y. harbor in June 2016.
Bit of a rookie. Does any one have a better way to chart this trip without having to buy the Maptech 2 charts for motering up the ICW than Reg 4 at $120.00 and reg 6 at $120.00. If you add the associated cruising guids your cutting into some serious beer money.LOL
Brewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 13:51   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewman View Post
Appreciate all the info for my trip North from Jax. Fl. to N.Y. harbor in June 2016.
Bit of a rookie. Does any one have a better way to chart this trip without having to buy the Maptech 2 charts for motering up the ICW than Reg 4 at $120.00 and reg 6 at $120.00. If you add the associated cruising guids your cutting into some serious beer money.LOL
Download free charts from the US government. Available in raster or vector format. Then use OpenCPN or other free nav software.

RNC Downloads
Electronic Navigational Charts: NOAA ENCs®

Buy a copy of the Waterway Guide for hardcopy backup.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 15:45   #8

Fantastic. I have plenty of time. Appreciate the links Skipmak.
Made it from Cape Coral Fl. through Lake Okeechobee to Stuart and then to Jax. with no Garmin but the right charts just following the markers. Not a lot of night time travel and a couple of day time groundings in my new to me 1976 Morgan 33OI. 400 mi. What a blast, but would have been better with better nav. aids.
Best way to learn is to get your feet wet. Literally, had to jump in and push some hull.
Didn't do any good/Seatow. 15 feet out of the channel 1/2 mile N. of the Ormond beach bridge near Daytona Bch. dead shallow. 2 ft. of water. Draw 4. Porpoises kept the gators away in that light brackish water.
Loved every min.
Staying in the channel,
Brewman
Old 11-01-2016, 16:13   #9

Boat: 48' steel cutter

Mayport FL (St. Johns River at Jax) to Beaufort NC, then the ICW to the Chesapeake is my suggestion. Several big-ship inlets along the way to duck into by day or night.
Travis McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 16:23   #10
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

The first time I went up the weather off Hatteras was going to be a tad dodgy so I pulled into Beaufort NC for a couple days in the nicest, but most expensive marina, the Town Docks. But they have FREE cars they give to the cruisers! F me! Try and get a free car for nothing in any other country!
After a few days I shot off around Hatteras and was in New York before the ICW mob had got to Norfolk.

The fun bit of a trip right up from Florida would be finding and sitting right in the fast bit of the Gulf Stream. Great navigational exercise plus the fear factor is higher because of the horror stories.

The gulf stream really is an interesting blob of water. 4 times I have crossed it now and each time the water is just "weird".
Great fun!

MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 16:30   #11
Marine Service Provider

Brewman--we know you were joking of course about the beer money, but why cut corners financially when it comes to proper navigation? And speaking of cutting corners, that will almost assuredly put you aground which might be insignificant or might be costly and dangerous. The MOI 33 is a shoal draft boat for sure. I sailed one from Annapolis to Puerto Rico with a plastic sextand and an rdf and due to my own stupidity, cut a buoy at Beaufort ten minutes after departing on a 1200 mile trip and went aground..due to my own carelessness--but we weathered a gale in the Gulf Stream and go to Puerto Rico unscathed. You might (jokingly) say it's a blast to run aground, but we all have done it-sometimes it's our fault, sometimes not; sometimes dangerous and costly, sometimes not but saving a few bucks here and there to play around with navigation is not a good idea. You concede that you are a "bit of a rookie" so if you are looking for some advice here--please, don't take this so casually. Basic navigation with good tools is fairly easy if you pay attention and constantly observe. One day you may find yourself hard aground with an ebb tide and cause serious damage to the boat or injury to the crew. Have fun and be safe!
Paul Annapolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 16:32   #12

The off shore sounds great. Radar a must?
Old 11-01-2016, 16:34   #13

Boat: Pearson 365

Zboss, The outside is great. But dont take my word for it. I'm tired of the ICW. In July the bugs will be bad and it will be a long hot run. The grave yard is because of shallow water, like frying pan shoals. Just pick a good weather window and Rock on Dude. Im still trying to sell this Hatteras. Still looking for the blow boat. When I do, I'm going outside for sure.
Magnawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 19:33   #14

Is radar a must for this offshore extravaganza?:
Old 11-01-2016, 19:51   #15
Marine Service Provider

Radar is not a "must have" for any boat unless required by law which it is not in your case. Of course it is a great tool--a fantastic tool, but you might be fine with simply an AIS receiver or AIS transceiver. However, if you are trying to save dollars on charts which are vastly more important and "must have" in comparison to RADAR, one can only assume that you have some ideas as to the cost of a radar set. You are not likely to encounter fog in the Mid Atlantic in summer...but one never knows.
Paul Annapolis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
east coast, route