Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2016, 22:32   #16

Boat: 33 Morgan Out Island
pirate Re: Routes up the East Coast of USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Annapolis View Post
Radar is not a "must have" for any boat unless required by law which it is not in your case. Of course it is a great tool--a fantastic tool, but you might be fine with simply an AIS receiver or AIS transceiver. However, if you are trying to save dollars on charts which are vastly more important and "must have" in comparison to RADAR, one can only assume that you have some ideas as to the cost of a radar set. You are not likely to encounter fog in the Mid Atlantic in summer...but one never knows.

Thanks again. A lot to learn. Starting to research the AIS reciever/tranciever etc. I didn't know what one was. Saw a U-tube vidio of a guy crossing the Pacific to Hawaii and he had a warning system that went off when another vessel was in the vicinity.
So if I was following that 100 fathom line as suggested in a previous post, working my way north in June from Jax. to N.Y. in my 33 Morgan, running at odd times day and night, what's the best set up?
For safety. Don't want to hit anything, or be hit, especialy by Large vessels. Want to see storms 30 to 50 mi. away. Maybe even navigate in a little bit of fog.
I think I've seen a Garmin setup that will be the chart plotter, radar screen and incorporate the AIS. With some work and used equipment and about $3k
it could be done.
Or stay inside and motor up beer in hand. Or mix the 2 watching the weather and limit the beer on the outside. Sounds like a really great challenge either way.
Any thoughts? All suggestions welcome, I think.
Brewman
Brewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 22:56   #17

Boat: 68 tartan 34c
Re: Routes up the East Coast of USA

Not sure of your training and experience. Deb and I did not have much keelboat experience when we started either. Sounds like you may be single handing, learning a lot daily but a bit inexperienced and underequipped. Every day is an adventure. I recommend you ask advice of experiences cruisers where you anchor. Tell them your intentions, ask them aboard to check out your boat, and ask what they would change based on their experience. A chart plotter, depthfinder and VHF visible from the helm are essential. A cheap netbook, puck gps, Free Noaa charts, and Seaclear II or Opencpn are a great aid in figuring your route. If you are single handing off shore for multiple days, do you have an autopilot, do you have a plan when it fails. If you have not run many inlets yet, I would suggest practicing in daylight a couple times in different conditions. Then practice at night, wind waves and current can play hell with keeping her between the navigational beacons. I would much rather be you sitting on you boat reading this than me sitting at home writing it.
exkma367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 23:23   #18

Thanks again.
Won't be single handing off shore just yet. Boat had a Garmin 441s that fizzled out early in my 400 mi journey from Cape Coral to Jax.
Year and a half ago put 300 miles under my belt with it from Cape coral to Miami in the Gulf and a little outside, then down island hopping in the keys and back to Cape Coral. All pretty tame stufff compared to off shore in the Atlantic with the big boys.
Trip north will have a 2 man crew, me and 1 other. Not going north at night without radar, propper charts. Will try to save a little with NOAA charts.
Will have chart plotter back up again for trip.. Have 2 VHF s , 1 mounted below, 1 water proof hand held in cockpit at all times.
Do not have cheap netbook, puck gps, Free Noaa charts, and Seaclear II or Opencpn.
Working on it, and like your advice on networking with people at the dock.
Thanks,
Brewman
Old 11-01-2016, 23:32   #19

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

Consider getting ur buzz on once you are sure that the anchor is set. A lot of ways to mess up. It pays to have a clear head.

Download the charts u need and get a copy shop to print them for ya. It's pretty cheap.

A decent chart plotter doesn't have to break the bank. They sure r handy.

Enjoy ur trip.

I'd rather be lucky than good.
Old 12-01-2016, 04:52   #20
Marine Service Provider

"Brewman" Again I am not sure about your issue with the beer or if you are serious. You wrote "For safety. Don't want to hit anything, or be hit, especialy by Large vessels. Want to see storms 30 to 50 mi. away. Maybe even navigate in a little bit of fog."

It's reassuring to know you don't want to hit anything, or be hit, especially by Large vessels". Really. Have you considered the fact that you are much more likely to collide inland than offshore? You are not guaranteed to have a radar set that will see a storm 30-50 miles away but it's possible.
Then you write "Or stay inside and motor up beer in hand. Or mix the 2 watching the weather and limit the beer on the outside. Sounds like a really great challenge either way.
Any thoughts? All suggestions welcome, I think." Well, here is a suggestion, lay off the beer, especially when cruising inland, but anytime you are underway. Calling yourself Brewman and making repeated comments about the beer makes me leery and wonder why I am trying to provide "thoughts" and "suggestions".
Paul Annapolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 05:20   #21

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
"Brewman" Again I am not sure about your issue with the beer or if you are serious. You wrote "For safety. Don't want to hit anything, or be hit, especialy by Large vessels. Want to see storms 30 to 50 mi. away. Maybe even navigate in a little bit of fog."

It's reassuring to know you don't want to hit anything, or be hit, especially by Large vessels". Really. Have you considered the fact that you are much more likely to collide inland than offshore? You are not guaranteed to have a radar set that will see a storm 30-50 miles away but it's possible.
Then you write "Or stay inside and motor up beer in hand. Or mix the 2 watching the weather and limit the beer on the outside. Sounds like a really great challenge either way.
Any thoughts? All suggestions welcome, I think." Well, here is a suggestion, lay off the beer, especially when cruising inland, but anytime you are underway. Calling yourself Brewman and making repeated comments about the beer makes me leery and wonder why I am trying to provide "thoughts" and "suggestions".
I'll agree with Paul. Also if you've never sailed in fog...............

seriously - you really do not want to navigate in a "bit of fog" unless you are truly forced to - and even then it is an experience that will have you changing your shorts, especially if you are in a high traffic area. Even with radar/AIS you'll be crapping little green pigs the whole time

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 06:16   #22

Boat: Jeanneau 44i SO

On my boat, I am always the captain. Will always listen to anyone else on board as someone may or will have more experience then I do. But as captain I have a hard and fast rule and will not tolerate it being broken. I will put you ashore at the nearest port if broken. There is no beer or alcohol drink of any kind allowed until the mooring ball is attached and double checked by all, or the anchor is set and visually verified and "drag queen" or "anchor watch" is turned on or at the dock with all lines secured. And all lines, sails and cleanup is completed.

Then I will join you with a few, but never while under way in any conditions. Everything may be calm, quiet seas, no traffic, bright sunshine, but even then for what ever the cause, all hell could break loose. On my safety briefing list, that is rule #1.
l2ridehd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 06:53   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewman View Post
Thanks again. A lot to learn. Starting to research the AIS reciever/tranciever etc. I didn't know what one was. Saw a U-tube vidio of a guy crossing the Pacific to Hawaii and he had a warning system that went off when another vessel was in the vicinity.
So if I was following that 100 fathom line as suggested in a previous post, working my way north in June from Jax. to N.Y. in my 33 Morgan, running at odd times day and night, what's the best set up?
For safety. Don't want to hit anything, or be hit, especialy by Large vessels. Want to see storms 30 to 50 mi. away. Maybe even navigate in a little bit of fog.
I think I've seen a Garmin setup that will be the chart plotter, radar screen and incorporate the AIS. With some work and used equipment and about $3k
it could be done.
Or stay inside and motor up beer in hand. Or mix the 2 watching the weather and limit the beer on the outside. Sounds like a really great challenge either way.
Any thoughts? All suggestions welcome, I think.
Brewman
AIS is nice and it is a useful tool but it only works with things that transmit AIS signals, mainly large commercial vessels. Most fishing boats (many are large and made of steel), yachts and more do not transmit AIS. Then there are buoys, rocks, channel markers and other things that never transmit AIS. So if you're depending just on AIS to avoid collisions you're in trouble.

Best tool is a sharp lookout. As you get further north on the US east coast fog becomes more of a risk where eyeballs are less useful. If you plan to spend much time in New England then radar is the best tool.

Seeing storms 50 miles away you'll have to log into www.weather.com or www.wunderground.com and look at their weather radar. Or just listen to the weather on the VHF and look around for storm clouds.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 07:05   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Well, here is a suggestion, lay off the beer, especially when cruising inland, but anytime you are underway. Calling yourself Brewman and making repeated comments about the beer makes me leery and wonder why I am trying to provide "thoughts" and "suggestions".
I will have to second this suggestion. Generally don't allow drinking on board when underway, especially close to shore, traffic lanes, ICW, dodgy weather or any other potential risky situation.

Maybe on a long, offshore passage with sufficient crew, very settled weather, away from shore, traffic lanes, navigation hazards, etc, etc, etc a beer or glass of wine but always keeping one, totally sober, experienced, designated driver, usually me.
Old 12-01-2016, 07:08   #25

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
I will have to second this suggestion. Generally don't allow drinking on board when underway, especially close to shore, traffic lanes, ICW, dodgy weather or any other potential risky situation.

Maybe on a long, offshore passage with sufficient crew, very settled weather, away from shore, traffic lanes, navigation hazards, etc, etc, etc a beer or glass of wine but always keeping one, totally sober, experienced, designated driver, usually me.
we run a dry boat whenever we are at sea. In harbour or on the hook, we're happy to indulge though

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 07:19   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
we run a dry boat whenever we are at sea. In harbour or on the hook, we're happy to indulge though
Don't disagree with this and will probably make this the policy in the future. Been almost 30 years since I've made real offshore passages (I don't consider 20 miles off the coast on a 200 mile jump down the east coast a real passage) and comments were based on ancient history when I was younger and probably more liberal (translation, foolish ) than I am now.
Old 12-01-2016, 07:27   #27

Touchy, touchy, touchy.
Still appreciate the advice, I think?
Brewman
Old 12-01-2016, 07:46   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Touchy, touchy, touchy.
Still appreciate the advice, I think?
Brewman
Touchy? I assume you say this because of the comments about imbibing while underway?

If so, you should be aware that in most states land based DUI laws apply and are being enforced on boaters. Also most states will take any penalties back to your auto driving license and could get that revoked.

Just something to think about.
Old 12-01-2016, 08:00   #29

If I had a hammer,
I'd get hammered in the morning,
Hammered in the evening- All night long!
LOL,
Brewman
Old 12-01-2016, 08:31   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
If I had a hammer,
I'd get hammered in the morning,
Hammered in the evening- All night long!
LOL,
Brewman
Don't forget the next line in the song, "It's the hammer of justice".

Tags
east coast, route