Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 16-04-2012, 23:58   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50
Re: Route Down the West Coast

Actually the GS50 is rather new to me. My experience is mostly in an Ericson 39.

The 1 day up the coast is a real number and it is not a hard 24 hours, it could be 28. Leave Astoria around 6 am (you did pick the departure day for a good early slack of course - or at least before noon). Sometime the next day you will be pulling into Neah Bay with enough time to fuel up and get a good nights sleep.

You are going in fair weather of course. The prevailing winds are from the NW. Light in the morning and building in the afternoon. (esp in the straights) Use this to your advantage. Delay departure is there is a southern gale in the forecast.

This is a typical result for (oh say what?) 15 cruises up to the San Juans in the E39. (Ages ago my Cal 2-29 took 32 hours typically.)

As for bad weather... In the summer the typical bad weather is a southern Gale. I've done that only once. 18' seas and 45 kt winds in the Cal.

Oh for my day job I build and manage supercomputers. We use them to model the Columbia river and the coastal margins. You can see some of the model results that show the currents along the coast.... Good lick navigating the website. But if you do take your time you can find historical data for the time of year that you are planning the trip.

Virtual Columbia River | Center for Coastal Margin Observation & Prediction

Regards

Old 17-04-2012, 00:08   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svsilvergirl View Post
Thinking about bringing my boat from Astoria Oregon down to San Pedro California. I'm going to be working down here for a while it looks like. Trip down will most likely be just me and my lovely wife. No crew. Will be our first long trip with just the two of us. boat is a 44ft islander. Does anyone have any routes they have used before , with stops every night or so ? Don't mind doing a few overnighters , but would like to enjoy the trip down. Just plugging in way points , looks like it can be done in five or six days. I would rather take a couple weeks and have fun. Have time to plan , and will certainly read up on the coast pilots , just looking for some tips or suggestions , routes that you may have.
Thanks in advance , Bob and Robin
Hi Bob,

Nice to see others form RCYC here! Sorry about that thread drift....

--Ethan

Old 19-04-2012, 20:17   #33

Silvergirl, buy a copy of Stienbecks Canary Row and Richard Henry Danas Two Years Before the Mast, to add to the enjoyment of the trip.____Grant.
Old 19-04-2012, 20:31   #34
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
Silvergirl, buy a copy of Stienbecks Canary Row and Richard Henry Danas Two Years Before the Mast, to add to the enjoyment of the trip.____Grant.
I think he means Cannery Row. But don't even think about reading Cannery Row without also reading Sweet Thursday.
Old 19-04-2012, 22:23   #35

Boat: 1974 islander 44
Sheesh, I just can't do Steinbeck. Guy is painfully depressing.
Old 20-04-2012, 01:16   #36

Boat: Bayliner Victoria 2750
Send a message via Yahoo to Astral Blue
Re: Route down the west coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
As Geoduck said may and june, theres lots of stops on your way down some better then others ! I always enjoyed Eureka CA. good marinas close to town, if you stay at the first one ! the Island Marina requires a taxi. Great resteraunts, Roys Club was our favorite. Coos Bay is OK, Brookings is good and Cresent City is easy In north winds. Just remember almost all Northern harbors have Bars for entrances, and you must watch the tides to make entrance easier!! Have fun it's a wonderful trip and from Ore down 2 miles off is ok if the weather is good, and its just plain Pretty !! Have Fun Bob and Connie
Avoid Crescent City. They are still in the midst of recovering from last year's tsunami. There are very few docks available and the marina is under construction (more like reconstruction).
Astral Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2012, 08:37   #37

OOPS, I really was referring to great history, not little yellow birds. Darn spell check didnt save me from myself.____Grant.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: