Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2018, 15:04   #16

Boat: Gib'Sea 402
Re: Replacing an old chart plotter

Quote:
My advice would be both to change anything major on a newly purchased boat for the first couple of months unless you know exactly how you want to set it up. Most sailors are very practical people and typically there is a reason why we something in a certain way.
My advice would be not to change anything until you've decided what your priorities are
hoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2018, 15:23   #17

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

I haven't explored the ipad option as I have a 5" garmin chartplotter that covers my sailing area and cost $350 brand new...I have an older hand held garmin as back up (as others have noted), but still use paper charts bought used after sifting thru piles of them at boat consignment shops. Music is on an ipod so I'm not driven to update, but the chartplotter that came with the boat would search endlessly for satellites never fixing my position. Hoping this season to buy a used sextant and learn celestial, so there's another long-term option. Congrats on the new boat and enjoy the adventure.
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2018, 15:23   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoolie View Post
My advice would be not to change anything until you've decided what your priorities are
That's exactly what he meant but obviously forgot the not

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2018, 15:36   #19

Boat: Jeanneau 49DS

I can vouch for the fact that iSailor works just fine in NZ. There is the other advantage that one gets regular free updates. Which is more than the likes of Raymarine or Garmin will do for you.

As people have pointed out, the trouble with using a tablet (iSailor works on iOS and Android) is that the thing uses a lot of current when running the GPS and is not waterproof. That can be got around by using it on the chart table plugged in.

I have a not so new Raymarine plotter fitted by the chart table. Which I never use as I hate the charts and interface. A Garmin by the helm, which I do use and like the interface but not so much the charts. It also interfaces with the Autopilot which as far as I am aware no tablet will achieve. Then an iPad with a SIM, so GPS built in, and iSailor which I use when i really need to know exactly where I am. Otherwise I would use the ability of the Garmin to interface with and be controlled from a tablet or mobile phone.

There are some excellent shops down at the Viaduct in Auckland who will give you some honest advice.

Make of that what you will. I agree with others not to rush any purchase.
Alita49DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2018, 17:53   #20

Boat: Outremer 55L

+1 for iSailor in NZ.

On my iPhone 7 I’ve used both Navionics and iSailor apps. Since my chart plotter has Navionics charts I’ve kept just iSailor to have a different chart source. The purchased charts on iSailor are excellent. The apps don’t chew through the battery abnormally fast. I blank the screen whenever I’m not navigating, though I keep it running in the background to keep tracking going. A couple of phones and your navigation and weather is sorted - not the best interface because of size, but good enough.

If you have a laptop, download opencpn and the free NZ raster charts. Not useful outside, and you’ll need a gps USB dongle if you want live boat position, but it is yet another chart source and with time and effort can be integrated with your instruments if you want.

As others have said, don’t change anything until you’ve had some time on the boat. My upgrade list after 9 months is completely different from my pre-purchase and after one month upgrade lists. Mostly because most of the money went on the repair and maintenance lists.

PM me if you want some help.
fxykty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2018, 18:07   #21

Boat: Boatless at this time (is this a word?)

This is a post of mine from 2 years ago but it is still relevant. Add to these comments are that you must run a charging cord somewhere that will be exposed to moisture. Second, you need to have apart from a waterproof case, a way to shield the screen from moisture as the touch screen will drive you crazy. That all said, I use the Ipad for my primary source of navigation even on the most advanced systems. But, be willing to loose it to a rogue wave or other mishap.

Here is my quote:
I like to have triple redundancy on my bluewater trips. First is the chartplotter, second is my Ipad with iNavX with Theyr Weather and Tides and 4d Weather, and the third are paper charts.

The iPad can be purchased but it must be an Ipad2 with GSM. I just bought another one on ebay used, with 32gb at $220. The iNavx cost $39 and then I purchased one of the extensive map databases. As well, I would recommend a cigarette style extension cord around 10 feet to enable you to use it at the helm non-stop (the connection will not be waterproof but you can rig some big zip lock bags to stop all but a dump of water from stopping the unit) Last, I purchased a Life proof Nuud case. This is completely waterproof and I can attest that it works as I have had that unit on deck and it was entirely under water a number of times.

The GSM is the Ipad that says Verizon or ATT (for you an Ipad with a GPS, not need to subscribe to the service) . You dont need a contract, only the unit as then you will be able to see your location in the middle of nowhere.

Now for the disadvantage - 1) when the screen gets wet, to tap on a screen does not always go as planned 2) in a bouncing boat, trying to create a waypoint or other fine insertion using the screen is difficult 3) unless you have a good stand and mount for the ipad (a suction mount does not work in heavy seas) then your Ipad will be seen skipping across the deck a time or two.

As far as navigation goes, the main disadvantage is lack of connection to the autopilot. Yes, there are ways to make this happen, but in practicality at this time no. The advantage is that the navigation is as good as the software data. I have, when the chartplotter failed, used my Ipad to bring us into very difficult channels at night with success just using the iPad.
Swammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2018, 19:44   #22

A Pro Delivery skipper will have Nav gear with him. He will be able to give advice plus you will be able to sort out options that suit you in your own time.
fnoldsalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2018, 01:55   #23

Thanks again for all the helpful comments.
Deryck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2018, 05:24   #24

Boat: Hunter 410

Find out the age of the plotter that is not working well, older ones not sure when the cut of was are not digital so the radar would have to be replaced as well when you do upgrade. It is however possible to upgrade just the plotter and radar - even switching to Garmin - and keep all the other instruments talking to it, that just takes someone who really knows electronics and the right rosetta stone digital communicator translator!
Captin7Seas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2018, 12:08   #25

The owner has told me that it's an older Raytheon RC530 and, although it still works, it's not very detailed. Apparently, the card can be upgraded but he decided that, instead of spending $300 on that, he would rather use an app on his ipad.

As the delivery trip is from Auckland to Wellington (approx 600 mile trip), and I don't know anything about these things, can someone tell me if it's possible to upgrade this plotter to something more detailed (at reasonable cost). The owner has said that the plotter is connected to all the other instruments so, it seems sensible to keep everything talking to each other if possible.

The delivery skipper has told me that they will be bringing their own nav gear with them but would use whatever is already on board as a backup.
Old 26-02-2018, 12:36   #26

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Why iPad?

Plenty of android devices come with GPS as standard for a fraction of the cost.
Backup to my backup is a $100 asus tablet with $25 aust and nz navionics.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2018, 12:52   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Why iPad?

Plenty of android devices come with GPS as standard for a fraction of the cost.
Backup to my backup is a $100 asus tablet with $25 aust and nz navionics.
I agree. I assume that he likes Apple products. I checked prices in Harvey Norman at the weekend and found what looks like a decent Samsung tablet with built in 3G system for half the price of an ipad.

I've also just checked with one of the local chandleries and they tell me that the chart card on the Raytheon RC530 can't be upgraded as it's just too old a system - apparently they've already gone through this process with someone else. So, it would look like I'll be having to replace the plotter at some stage with something - whether similar to the Raytheon or a stand-alone setup.
Old 26-02-2018, 13:02   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deryck View Post
The owner has told me that it's an older Raytheon RC530 and, although it still works, it's not very detailed. Apparently, the card can be upgraded but he decided that, instead of spending $300 on that, he would rather use an app on his ipad.

As the delivery trip is from Auckland to Wellington (approx 600 mile trip), and I don't know anything about these things, can someone tell me if it's possible to upgrade this plotter to something more detailed (at reasonable cost). The owner has said that the plotter is connected to all the other instruments so, it seems sensible to keep everything talking to each other if possible.

The delivery skipper has told me that they will be bringing their own nav gear with them but would use whatever is already on board as a backup.
Why not just get some paper charts? I know that may be considered strange and a bit abnormal but why not? Get one small scale to show the passage and a couple of harbor charts in case of stopovers and Bob's your uncle.

Then when you get the boat home you can take your time to pick and choose what you want to do for a plotter. Save the paper charts to show off like rare antiques.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2018, 13:04   #29

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
I agree. I assume that he likes Apple products. I checked prices in Harvey Norman at the weekend and found what looks like a decent Samsung tablet with built in 3G system for half the price of an ipad.

I've also just checked with one of the local chandleries and they tell me that the chart card on the Raytheon RC530 can't be upgraded as it's just too old a system - apparently they've already gone through this process with someone else. So, it would look like I'll be having to replace the plotter at some stage with something - whether similar to the Raytheon or a stand-alone setup.

If definitely having to upgrade the plotter, then put that on the upgrade list. You’ll want to consider your entire navigation suite at that point, so wait on that until you’re sure what you want/need. Handhelds and laptops will do just fine in the short term - some use nothing but.

Your passage isn’t all that hard in decent weather and from East Cape down you’re basically staying offshore anyway as there are no all weather ports until Wellington.
fxykty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2018, 13:08   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:

One thing to keep in mind when you buy a new plotter, current Raymarine does not use standard cables for their NMEA2000 connections. All the others that I know, Garmin, B&G, Simrad, I think Furuno, etc use one standard kind of connectors, if I recall correctly called Devicenet while Raymarine uses their own, proprietary cables. They are all NMEA2000 communications compatible but to connect the Raymarine to other companies' devices requires an adapter.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote