Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2013, 10:48   #16

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7
Re: RELAY POSITION BY SMS CELPHONE NETWORK

It´s getting even better!! "Bubbler GPS" a new Android app soon to be released,uses your smartphone to collect the GPS positions every 10 minute and upload them to SpotWalla wherever there is cellnett or WiFi coverage. Whenever you´re out of cellnet coverage,the GPS positions, ( up to 1300) are stored on your phone and uploaded as soon as you regain coverage,all automatic. You can later download the entire,unbroken track from SpotWalla in .gpx or .kml format for use in your favourite nav prog. Bubbler GPS is presently at the testing state in several parts of the world.

Most nav progs already do all the GPS recording through various GPS devices installed on board,but none of them to my knowledge,has the capability to automatically upload GPS position reports every 10 or more minutes,or in bulk as soon as you arrive somewhere with cellnet coverage. So,even longer sea trips can benefit from this app.

Prior to starting your Bubbler GPS you have to register and log in to SpotWalla with your device type and phone number. Works great!!

Tore
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-02-15-16-36-59.png
Views:	126
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	54870  
Old 15-02-2013, 11:00   #17
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
It´s getting even better!! "Bubbler GPS" a new Android app soon to be released,uses your smartphone to collect the GPS positions every 10 minute and upload them to SpotWalla wherever there is cellnett or WiFi coverage. Whenever you´re out of cellnet coverage,the GPS positions, ( up to 1300) are stored on your phone and uploaded as soon as you regain coverage,all automatic. You can later download the entire,unbroken track from SpotWalla in .gpx or .kml format for use in your favourite nav prog. Bubbler GPS is presently at the testing state in several parts of the world.
Yes thats fine for amusing on shore tracking. However offshore , transmitting your positions from several hours ago, several hours later isnt much use. If anything it could cause undue concern that something had happened.

I design and build GPS/GPRS monitors, the systems have serious limitations in a safety of life scenario, especially at sea.

None of these systems offer the reliability and 24/7 availability of say SEND safety devices. AT present only sat based systems offer any hope of a reliable and timely method of relaying ones positions.

Tracking your dog , SMS/GPRS/GPS, tracking you at sea == satellites

Dave
Old 15-02-2013, 13:40   #18

Dave..

Do´nt be such a ´salty sea dog´. We are not presently all daredevil round the world sailors. All new nav inventions are worth it to someone..

My ´dog´ loves to cruise the thousands of miles of innland waterways and lakes,hug the coast for short trips. Or the hundreds of miles of European canal systems,to mention but a few.

OF COURSE, a Delorme inReach or a Spot Messenger,communicating with satellites are superior, but here we are comparing apples with pears.

Come on! Be fair!

Tore
Old 15-02-2013, 13:44   #19

Boat: Joubert Koala 24
If you have phone signal just use Google latitude.
You can use android or iphones, can see it online, embed a live map on a blog etc, and can even export a kml for live tracking in Google earth.
And it is free.
Tomm0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 13:45   #20
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

I was, GSM is fine for tracking your dog. but around the coast, even quite close iin you can get large areas of no coverage in many places, the problems have got worse with smaller cells and higher data speeds.

Hence if you are using it to make the "folks back home" happy , there is a danger that outages will just make them fret

If your using it to fill you your fun sailing blog , then great, mind you why have real time data collection at all.

WHy would I want to track myself up the canals in Europe, sure Apple, Google, Facebook, etc are all doing that without my knowledge anyway!!.

Dave
Old 16-02-2013, 11:45   #21

goboatingnow..

Your reply speaks for itself... no comments...

Tore
Old 16-02-2013, 12:13   #22

Re: Relay Position by SMS Cellphone Network

Tore, no offense ... you seem to discover this fun toy and then a fun app, and are ignorant about what what it is, and what are other options out there.

The things you have discovered are for fun and amusement. There are hundreds of devices, apps, and sites that function similar way ... good for blogging and casual keep in touch but not functional/robust enough to be a serious tracking and life saving solution. I think other posters tried to point that out.

If that works for you, have fun ... just keep in mind its limitations.
Richard_W is offline   Reply With Quote