Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2011, 02:07   #91
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Re: Reading a Chart in Metres

Ah grasshopper - that it easy, its gold of course. Because a Pound - as in the english currency unit - in value of gold weighs more in pounds and ounces than a pound - as in the currency unit - of feathers in the avoirdupois system of pounds and ounces. Of course now we have resolved that I can go and have a quiet drink of a few ounces (as in liquid measurement).

* this postulation is based on the current NYSE price for feathers.

Clearly the imperial system is so much better than metric.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 02:45   #92
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
OK, it will be hard to drift this thread further but I will give it a go.

Which is heavier, a pound of gold or a pound of feathers?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Ah grasshopper - that it easy, its gold of course. Because a Pound - as in the english currency unit - in value of gold weighs more in pounds and ounces than a pound - as in the currency unit - of feathers in the avoirdupois system of pounds and ounces. Of course now we have resolved that I can go and have a quiet drink of a few ounces (as in liquid measurement).

* this postulation is based on the current NYSE price for feathers.

Clearly the imperial system is so much better than metric.
Ahh Factor, you are indeed a learned gentleman; let me restate my question slightly differently.

Which is heavier, an ounce of gold or an ounce of feathers?
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:32   #93

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Still the gold ounce as gold is measured in troy ounces (1/12 of a pound) while freathers by weight are measured in avoirdupois ounces (1/16 of a pound). An ounce of gold (other precious metals and gun powder) is nominally 480 grains while an ounce of most everything else is 437.5 grains. However, a troy pound, though made up of heavier, but fewer, troy ounces, weighs less than an avoirdupois pound (5760-grs versus 7000-grs). On the other hand, an ounce of lead and an ounce of feathers weigh exactly the same, although the feathers will have greater volume.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:53   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieGeoff View Post
Eh? I remember having similar thoughts when we went to metric. I was almost finished primary school and learned all the imperial units (which are slightly different to yours BTW).

Then we had to learn metric, so I had the benefit (though it didn't seem that way at the time) of learning both systems while still at school.

<snip>

A kilogram is 2.24 pounds. Close enough to 2 and a 1/4.

<snip>

AussieGeoff
A kilogram is 2.20462262 pounds (I think you forgot the 0).
Most people approximate as 2.2 lbs / kilo.......

(Unless an Aussie pound is heavier then a US pound.....)

h20man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 15:24   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
Still the gold ounce as gold is measured in troy ounces (1/12 of a pound) while freathers by weight are measured in avoirdupois ounces (1/16 of a pound). An ounce of gold (other precious metals and gun powder) is nominally 480 grains while an ounce of most everything else is 437.5 grains. However, a troy pound, though made up of heavier, but fewer, troy ounces, weighs less than an avoirdupois pound (5760-grs versus 7000-grs). On the other hand, an ounce of lead and an ounce of feathers weigh exactly the same, although the feathers will have greater volume.
Thank you Astrid.

So we see that even inside one "system", one unit of measures (ounces) varies according to the material being measured and the relationship between the units of measurement (ounces to pounds) also varies. As Astrid explains, an ounce of gold is heavier than an ounce of lead but a pound of gold is lighter than a pound of lead. Ahgg...

I was born and bred as an ounces, pennies and inches man but due the many inconsistencies like the above example, I had no emotional pain converting to the metric system

If only our whole numbering system had been based on the multiple of 12 rather than 10 and thus a metric system would have the base 12, life would have been perfect.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 05-12-2011, 16:12   #96
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

boy this thread is still going....
Old 06-12-2011, 09:31   #97

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra

Quote:
If only our whole numbering system had been based on the multiple of 12 rather than 10 and thus a metric system would have the base 12, life would have been perfect.
The trouble is, there are roughly 12 moons in a year but people generally have 10 fingers in their hands.

You could also compute in base 16, like some computers: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, A, B, C, D, E, F...

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:52   #98

Boat: a sailing boat

Just convert your draft to meters and that's it.

If your boat is 6 ft draft then you need 1.9 m to keep her just floating.

Make your depth sounder read in meters from the water plane and you are fine too.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 14:59   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra View Post
The trouble is, there are roughly 12 moons in a year but people generally have 10 fingers in their hands.......
Hmm... design error!
The beauty of using a base of 12 is that it is the first number that can be easily halved, "thirded" and quartered. All great options for simple mental arithmetic and simple engineering.
Old 06-12-2011, 15:16   #100
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Reading a Chart in Metres

Quote:
Hmm... design error!
The beauty of using a base of 12 is that it is the first number that can be easily halved, "thirded" and quartered. All great options for simple mental arithmetic and simple engineering.
Blame the Romans... they started it...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 20:04   #101
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

What have the romans ever done for us

apart from roads and aqueducts of course - I mean thats a given
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:00   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Blame the Romans... they started it...
Did they, I always thought it was the arabs who gave us the modern numbering system but there you go...I am wrong again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
What have the romans ever done for us

apart from roads and aqueducts of course - I mean thats a given
Lots of unpronounceable mottos whose meanings are hidden from us common folk - well maybe not you but often me!
Old 07-12-2011, 03:34   #103
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Reading a Chart in Metres

[QUOTE=Wotname;833158]Did they, I always thought it was the arabs who gave us the modern numbering system but there you go...I am wrong again.
QUOTE]

The Arabs... Indian sub-Continent gave us a lot more than that... while folk were still slapping on the blue paint and living in caves with rabbits...
Till the return of Alexanders men...
But the Romans made working in 10's and multiples thereoff popular in the Med... their best known applications were military.. for example a Centurion would command 90 soliders, 9 junior officers.... making a century... today I guess they'd be called 9 x 10 men platoons and a company commander..
Opps.... forgot the sergants/leiutenants...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:55   #104

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

There is evidence from Roman military records that the Romans introduced double entry accounting a thousand years before it caught on again in the 14th and 15th centuries.
Old 25-12-2011, 05:00   #105

Boat: Lagoon380 Comfort#637
Send a message via Skype™ to careka

And, one Kilo is not always the same as 1 liter of water,
this is only when you have fresh water inside, when use of salt water it will be more heavy.
normal is 1.0sg, on fresh water, and 1.03sg on salt water, but there are diffs on that to. if more salt then more heavy.

i am metric. on all except, wind, then i use knots. and for boat speed also.
careka is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charts