Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 29-11-2011, 11:52   #31

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473
Re: Reading a Chart in Metres

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySeagull View Post
IF it'd ALSO been agreed on to 200 or 2000 "degrees" in a circle,...to match the 20,000,000 metre circumference...unfortunately,the British and the French were not getting along at the time and we are still paying for it with two sets of socket wrenches ....maybe they should try again.
Are you thinking relations are any better now than they were

nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2011, 12:19   #32

Boat: jeanneau ,flirt ,6 mètres

metric system is so easy and not english ,we have to take the best and let laugh the other ones !

Old 29-11-2011, 12:26   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sceptre 41

Metrics is way easier. For approxiamation purposes I use 3 meters equals 10' (120 inches) In reality it is only 118.11 inches but for the most part it doesn't matter. What I really like about Metrics is conversions for instance here is Bob and Doug McKenzie on converting a six pack into metrics Bob & Doug McKenzie - Metric system primer by rrfellis on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2011, 13:29   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Modified Choate 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by moetai View Post
metric system is so easy and not english ,we have to take the best and let laugh the other ones !
That's like saying the German language is easier then (Tagolog) the Filipino language. Only if your raised with a system is it easier.

Unprepared boaters, end up as floatsum!.......
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2011, 14:08   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Not only has this thread drifted, it has run aground.
So I'll throw in mine

14lb = 1 stone
2 stone = 1 bushel (1/4 cwt)
4 bushels = 1 hundredweight 112 lb cwt
20 cwt = 1 long ton = 2240 lbs.

Question: what is the connection between a cricket pitch and a chain (as measurement)
Old 29-11-2011, 14:09   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The problem with the metric system is there nothing available to compare distances to w/o actually carrying a ruler/scale.

e.g. If I were to ask someone on the phone how long a piece of wood was, they could say a foot, and I'd know right off. If they said 305 mm then I'd have to fine a ruler and look. And then discover it was about as long as my foot.

So how log is a meter w/o having a scale available, or a mm, or a cm? One only knows by estimating from experience. And if your have a bad day that can vary.

Lets see? My finger joint is 25.44 mm and my hand is 101.6 mm so 4 hands and a finger is .......

Just think, my grandfather use to build houses this way. I guess I'll need to carry a metric scale where ever I go.

Old 29-11-2011, 14:34   #37
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Ehrmmmm... a meter is a big step, can't be easier

ciao
Nick.
Old 29-11-2011, 14:48   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Ehrmmmm... a meter is a big step, can't be easier

ciao
Nick.
So, I can put my foot inside a big step a little more then 3 times or my finger almost 40 times, which makes my finger around 25 mm. I see now!

Old 29-11-2011, 15:02   #39

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
Being unable to think in Metric (which is really one of the worst inventions of mankind), I have copied a page from Bowditch that converts meters to Sensible, laminated it, and posted it above the nav station. It takes an extra step to glance at the chart and convert, but it's better than trying to navigate with unusable information.
I was voting for the Pacer as worst invention, but I could see some people voting for metric.
Old 29-11-2011, 15:07   #40

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySeagull View Post
ALL systems of measure are arbitrary.
one cubic "centimetre" = 1 "gram" of water...but one centimetre is derived from one minute of arc on Earth....so it's from a base360 system...
Now,stir in Clocks per 12 hours...ie:WHAT is Metric time,tell me?

There's so much baggage in "measurement" that anyone that "rests their case" per the merits of their favourite has really just collapsed from exhaustion.

Origin of the Metric System
Actually the French developed decimal time and decimal angles (400 gon per circle) but failed to enact them legally like the rest of the metric system so it didn't catch on.
Old 29-11-2011, 15:23   #41
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
The Metric Act of 1866, enacted July 28, 1866, legally recognized the metric system of measurement in the US. It's sometimes referred to as the Kasson Act, after Congressman John A. Kasson of Iowa, who chaired the House Comittee on Coinage, Weights, and Measures. The history section below has more details on the reasons behind the law from John Kasson's report to Congress.

Text of the law

The Act was codified as 15 USC 204 et seq., shown below. The following version shows the law as amended in 2007; refer to the history section for details.

U.S. Code

Title 15
Commerce and Trade

Chapter 6
Weights and Measures and Standard Time

Subchapter I
Weights, Measures, and Standards Generally

Sec. 204. Metric system authorized

It shall be lawful throughout the United States of America to employ the weights and measures of the metric system; and no contract or dealing, or pleading in any court, shall be deemed invalid or liable to objection because the weights or measures expressed or referred to therein are weights or measures of the metric system.

Sec. 205. Metric system defined

The metric system of measurement shall be defined as the International System of Units as established in 1960, and subsequently maintained, by the General Conference of Weights and Measures, and as interpreted or modified for the United States by the Secretary of Commerce.

History

Original bill and amendments

The Metric Act of 1866 was originally introduced as H.R. 596 in the 39th Congress. The House passed it on 17 May 1866; the Senate passed it on 27 July 1866; and it was presented to the President and signed the next day.

The 1866 Act included a now-obsolete definition of the metric system and tables of units, which you can view in the original 1866 bill as passed by the House and sent to the Senate.

On 9 August 2007, the 1866 law was amended by Pub. L. 110–69, the America COMPETES Act. It replaced the old definition of the metric system by the modern-day definition of SI. The relevant pages are available here (PDF, 5 pp, 77K), extracted from the 148-page law. The extract includes the cover page and Sec. 1, containing the short title of the act, then jumps to the page containing Sec. 3013(c)(1), which amends the Metric Act of 1866.

The extract also includes the rest of Sec. 3013, which repeals an obsolete law that defined electrical and photometric units and amends the law defining time zones, primarily to officially establish UTC (Coordinated Universal Time) as the basis for clock times.

Background

Following is some background on the reasons for the law, and the values of the conversion factors, from John Kasson's report of the Committee on Coinage, Weights, and Measures (39th Congress, 1st Session, H.R. Report No. 62, May 17, 1866):
Metric Act of 1866

The metric system has been in the USA for over 140 years but the people seem to resist it. Wonder why? And now it's being forced upon us.

Old 29-11-2011, 15:26   #42

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra

In fact, French topographic maps are graduated in gon, with respect to Paris meridian. But graduations in degrees referenced to Greenwich are also added.

Alain
Old 29-11-2011, 16:01   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Metric Act of 1866

The metric system has been in the USA for over 140 years but the people seem to resist it. Wonder why? And now it's being forced upon us.
People as a group resist because they don't like change, even if it to their benefit in the long run.

How is it being forced on us? I concede that metric is being put on consumer goods in addition to SAE, but it's not like the EU where alternative measurements are not allowed even as an adjunct to the metric values. Even in the 70's when there was the big metric push, metric values never supplanted, SAE, they were in addition to SAE on road signs and consumer goods.
Old 29-11-2011, 16:12   #44

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Quote:
People as a group resist because they don't like change, even if it to their benefit in the long run.
To true. My boat, by the way, is 28 royal cubits in length, plus three palms and three digits.
Old 29-11-2011, 16:34   #45

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post

Question: what is the connection between a cricket pitch and a chain (as measurement)
Ah ha, this was one of those useless bits of information learnt at school, pre-decimal, a chain is 22yards, the length of the pitch

nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charts

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: