Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2016, 07:22   #1

Raymarine Dragonfly 5 Pro

I am looking to purchase a Raymarine Dragonfly 5 Pro and have the option between US C-MAP or US Navionics+. What is the difference and for those who may have experience with both, which do you prefer?
Old 26-07-2016, 17:35   #2

Boat: J80 & I-14
Re: Raymarine Dragonfly 5 Pro

I can't comment on CMAP but I've used Navionics charts quite a bit and really like them. They give you the option of running the SonarCharts in addition to the standard Navionics charts. The SonarCharts are just really high resolution bathymetry -- I usually flip between those and the navionics charts when I'm in an iffy area to get a feel for what the bottom looks like (on the app I think you can also have NOAA charts as a layer too to compare). The SonarCharts are usually set to a really high resolution that's only good if you're fishing, but it's pretty easy to scale it back and de-clutter the screen.

I don't know if you've seen it yet, but check out the webapp -- it'll give you a feel for the charts and some of the routing features. https://webapp.navionics.com/#boating@6&key=_tfgErwbjU
jtulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 18:53   #3

Boat: J80 & I-14
Re: Raymarine Dragonfly 5 Pro

I just got an email from Navionics and it made me think of this post -- the email talked about a new product called 'Navionics+ Regions'. It looks like it's the same charts, but everything comes preloaded and it's only for a region so it's a little cheaper. Just thought I'd mention it
jtulls is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine, raymarine