Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 09-05-2017, 08:58   #16

Boat: Columbia 10.7
Re: Raspberry Pi help

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Have a look in the wifi tab in openplotter, might be set as an access point. Un tick the "enable access point" box if it is ticked.

Or if you get a wifi dongle openplotter can act as a wifi repeater so you just have to log in once to a new hotspot instead of every device.
I'll try that. Thanks

Old 09-05-2017, 14:33   #17

Boat: Columbia 10.7

This may be a dumb question. My Raspberry Pi is in a case and has a touch screen. But it doesn't have an on/off switch. I can shut it down, but there's no way to turn it on.

My friend simply unplugs it and plugs it in again. That works but is horribly inelegant. I was thinking of putting a toggle switch inline with my DC power supply.

Does anyone have another method for doing this?

Old 10-05-2017, 06:30   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim View Post
My friend simply unplugs it and plugs it in again. That works but is horribly inelegant.
Yes, it is horribly inelegant, but it is also the "normal" way that a Raspberry Pi is stopped and then started again.

Of course, if you merely need to reboot, for whatever reason, you can leave it plugged in and issue the "reboot" command. This is like clicking the "restart" button on a Windows machine.

Otherwise, yes, there are solutions that involve both hardware and software to add an "on/off" switch to the RPi, as well as to control graceful shutdown when the power is removed. These solutions nearly double the price of the RPi, which -- to me -- makes their value questionable. I mean, the whole point of a RPi is to keep it cheap and simple, and this adds cost and complexity just to gain a few elegance points.

Of course, it's your money, your choice. If you search "raspberry pi on off switch" you will come up with a large variety of ways to do this.

Good luck.
Old 10-05-2017, 09:14   #19

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Re turning off an on, already loaded in in the operating system is program called node-red, which is sort of visual plug together programming which is all done on a web paged created by node-red/Pi. This you can get to using anything capable of looking at a web page connected to the openplotter network or a network that the Pi is attached to. In my Pi I have some node-red which has various temperatures , runs a fuel pump and can also shut down the Pi - it shuts down Opencpn first, waits a moment then shuts off the Pi. Still means power is being fed to the Pi and doesn't help turning on again, but that's wired to a switch anyway.
Works well in the real world as the Pi monitor is very rarely used, so any tablet or mobile phone onboard can shut down the Pi nicely without having to get out of your seat

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: