Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2009, 06:46   #1

Problem Using AIS with MaxSea

Hi,

I have a problem using AIS with MaxSea. I'm running Maxsea version v.10.3.5, and the AIS is a receiver: Comar AIS-2-USB Dual Channel Parallel AIS Receiver.

I've connected everything as it should be, and I'm also receiving correct data, but the data is not displayed on the map, nor in the “mobile center”.

See attached screenshot:

Please help!
Aura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 09:18   #2
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
I was where you are now and the problem is that the "mobiles" feature isn't unlocked. I managed to get hold of a version that was unlocked but didn't really like it when using underway (nice while anchored or in the marina but not when actually using it). Much better is a radar that supports it or the program Yacht-AIS from Germany.

The feature to display AIS targets on the chart is only useful when there's land between you and the target (no visible contact) like an island, cape, harbor entrance or breakwater. I much prefer the dynamic "danger zones" as displayed by a product like Yacht-AIS. I've not seen a radar that can display AIS targets yet...

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2010, 14:11   #3

In this question I have is the same .. Do please help?
beyazmarti88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2010, 04:51   #4

Boat: SO 29.1
Maxsea and AIS

Did you resolve your problem? I have the same.
Old 17-07-2012, 11:16   #5

Re: Problem Using AIS with MaxSea

Hello, i have the same problem with maxsea and the ais. i have the version 10.3.2.1 and on the other computer 10.1.3.2. My AIS is from Digital Yacht and i can see the input of AIS but no targets on the screen. If you have any idea to solve this problem please let me know. Thanks
SY Coolrunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2012, 12:55   #6

Boat: a sailing boat

In our ship it took 10.3.2.1 to work and we did need a piece of software that came as an optional extra.

You can see you AIS targets in another window - say in OpenCPN or any other software.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2012, 14:23   #7

Hello, in OpenCPN we can see the boats but not in Maxsea. Maybe we have to change few buttons. Any idea?
Old 17-07-2012, 16:48   #8

Are you sure you have the ais (mobiles) functinality in MaxSea?

I remember in some verisons of MaxSea it was an add-on. If you do not have it, you cannot see the AIS overlay.

b.
Old 17-07-2012, 17:39   #9

Location: Cruising the West coast of Sumatra and the offshore islands, surfing!!
Boat: Feltz Skorpion mark 11A, Aluminium 39' sloop, constructed Hamburg. https://photobucket.com/eloise_01
Send a message via Skype™ to surfmachine

Apologies for jumping in!
Anyone know if the raymarine A50 chartplotter can display ais data from the standard horizon GX2150 ais vhf radio? It accepts the gps data from the A50 chartplotter, but wont display the ais overlay, even when configured properly.

Perhaps the A50 cant read the VDM sentences from the radio?
Cheers from Keith.
Old 18-07-2012, 06:26   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Are you sure you have the ais (mobiles) functinality in MaxSea?

I remember in some verisons of MaxSea it was an add-on. If you do not have it, you cannot see the AIS overlay.

b.

Yes, i have the ais overlay. the informations coming in. I see around 10 boats with mms number, and so on but not on the chart only in the list. Anybody knows if its working only when you buy it original?
Old 18-07-2012, 10:20   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfmachine View Post
Perhaps the A50 cant read the VDM sentences from the radio?
Cheers from Keith.
From Ray A50: "... NMEA 0183 Input Messages GLL, GGA, GLC, GTD, VTG, BWC, BWR, RMA, RMB, RMC, XTE, VHW, HDG, HDM, HDT, DBT, DPT, APB, VLW, MWV, WPL, RTE, DSC and ZDA. Selectable to 4800, 4800 Navtex, 9600 Navtex or 38,400 AIS..."

Pop comes your likely answer. Ray has long and well grounded history of building things so that they interface with their own only.

b.
Old 18-07-2012, 10:36   #12

[QUOTE=SY Coolrunning;993347]Yes, i have the ais overla
Old 18-07-2012, 10:41   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY Coolrunning View Post
Yes, i have the ais overlay. the informations coming in. I see around 10 boats with mms number, and so on but not on the chart only in the list. Anybody knows if its working only when you buy it original?
Define original.

We have original 10.3.2.1 as used by our fishing fleet. It shows the ais objects straight from the box.

Earlier we had 10.3.2.1 as shared by sailors and it took a separate piece of software to get the ais functionality.

You can have MaxSea show charts in one window and say OpenCpn show ais objects in another. That's what we have Windows for.

b.
Old 18-07-2012, 14:23   #14

Boat: 24m Tuna Longliner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY Coolrunning View Post
I'm not using that version but check in "Display" / "Catalogue" & see if its not just unchecked in there.
If the Mobiles/Targets is greyed out maybe you have to have that module.
2una is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2012, 14:25   #15

MaxSea has different feature levels, and I don't think those feature levels are reflected in the SW version number. I'm running MaxSea Explorer and it is able to display AIS targets, though they are coming from a different source that yours.

Also, when you say "you are getting the data", do you mean you are able to display it using software other than MaxSea, or is there some way to look at received data from within MaxSea? I ask because a USB AIS receiver will likely present the data on a virtual COM port, say COM4 for example. COM ports can only be open by one application as a time, so if it's opened by your other software, that data is not available to MaxSea. To make it available to MaxSea, you'll need to shutdown the other program, restart MaxSea, then run the connection wizard in MaxSea and let it search for COM ports with useful data.

Also, I think MaxSea needs to be in Navigation Mode, not Panning Mode. The "Navigation Mode" and "Planning Mode" can only be selected at startup and should not be confused with the "Navigation" and "Planning" tabs at the top of the screen. I banged my head against the wall for a while before realizing that those tab buttons don't select Navigation Mode and Planning Mode, but rather serve a completely different function. It's pretty retarded software, if you ask me, but I'm stuck with it now.
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, maxsea