Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2009, 16:30   #16

Boat: 48 Privilege - Full Monty
It's kind of hard to heal with two hulls. I can add water to the inside to weight it down for better clearence.

The paddleboat I believe is still running in downtown Wilmington on the water front.

So, if the power lines destroys my broken radar, will the insurance give me a new one?

Always have the sextant handy, just not wall decoration. I like my paper charts.

The option exist to come into the south end of Topsail Island thru the inlet but only in great weather. Not much in wiggle room with surf and depth. We will find out in 2 weeks weather permitting. Hope you will not read about me.
Surf City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 17:50   #17
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
OSHA is clear on this, as the subject comes up with cranes all of the time:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf City View Post
Getting ready to bring home our new purchase to North Carolina and was wondering - what is to close when it comes to mast height and high voltage power lines? Our mast is at 70' and power lines are stated to be 78'. Have not seen anything in the books. Just want to make it home safe.
" —If the power lines are not de-energized, operate cranes in the area
ONLY if a safe minimum clearance is maintained as follows:

At least 10 feet for lines rated 50 kilovolts or below

At least 10 feet plus 0.4 inch for each kilovolt above 50
kilovolts; or maintain twice the length of the line
insulator (but never less than 10 feet)"

So, you need to know the voltage. As a rule if it is over 50KV, the insulators are going to be over 2' long and it is going to be obvious.

Additionally, the chart should give an "authorized clearance." I would hope that NOAA or the ACE took these factors into account. I certainly would not under-cut their figure.

That said, rainy weather or thunderstorms in the area can change the math too, as they can contribute charge.

Tags
mast